ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Conference mulls banning tackles at football practices

If you think about it, that is the best way to limit concussions. I would say that 60% of hitting is done at practice. Its actually pretty smart.

I don't feel this is the answer... to me, the way to help eliminate much of the problem is to change the tackling technique. Cut out leading with the head, offensively and defensively... In the 50's, there was very little use of the head in HS football in the Nashville area. The hips were lowered, the upper body in more of an upright position, and a mask put on the numbers... The use of what some call a side body block was also a common technique ...

Football is a violent game...people will get hurt. If coach feels like his team will be better by not tackling then let that coach set up his practice that way.

This is part of a society problem of eliminating risk - which is an illusion.

I don't feel this is the answer... to me, the way to help eliminate much of the problem is to change the tackling technique. Cut out leading with the head, offensively and defensively... In the 50's, there was very little use of the head in HS football in the Nashville area. The hips were lowered, the upper body in more of an upright position, and a mask put on the numbers... The use of what some call a side body block was also a common technique ...

The players are also bigger, stronger, and faster than players in the 50's era which is probably the biggest contributing factor.

The seahawks had their players tackling rugby style this past season to reduce concussions and it worked... I'm thinking that Kermit needs to talk to the seahawks...

Reactions: MT Glenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT