ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Coach Stockstill and Massaro restructure contract.

excerpt:

...Under the new contract he signed on May 25, Stockstill's base salary will remain $721,704.14 until Dec. 31, 2018, the same salary he made this past season despite earning a raise of $100,000 based on his team meeting certain criteria in his previous contract.

Now, he won't receive that $100,000 raise — to a base salary of $821,704.14 — until Jan. 1, 2019.

The new agreement also includes a two-and-a-half year extension from June 30, 2021, to Dec. 31, 2023.....

I'm curious to hear what people's thoughts on this are. A lot has been said here in recent years about the incentives in Stock's old deal.

Big number that jumped out to me - 2023. Not that that's a bad thing, either. It just jumped at me.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'm curious to hear what people's thoughts on this are. A lot has been said here in recent years about the incentives in Stock's old deal.

Big number that jumped out to me - 2023. Not that that's a bad thing, either. It just jumped at me.

This is a little different and better for the program.

...The new contract will extend automatically for one year if the team achieves three different criteria: an Academic Progress Rate of at least 940, winning more than half of its games or at least six conference games, and avoiding major NCAA violations while under Stockstill's guidance.....

A tip of the hat, foregoing that raise is like donating 100K a year. Lets hope it works out well...

Does it mention the buyout? That's the important part. I can't seem to get through the paywall.

I'm actually good with the "winning more than half the games" or "at least 6 conference games" extension.

That would probably mean that we're 7-5 at worst under the 1st scenario, and under the second scenario - that puts us pretty close to a conference title.

He'd be 66 (or thereabouts) in 2023 so, if all goes well, it would allow Stock to retire here. I'd prefer not to think about the buyout, because that means MT is suffering through multiple 2-10 seasons.

Like Stock, hate Stock, or indifferent towards the man, he is a man of principal who seems deeply care about doing things the right way and what is the best for MT and the student-athlete.

I like it!!

I kinda look at this as another reflection of his mentor coming out in him.

Bobby Bowden did similar things at Fla. St. to make his program successful.

D-winns

He'd be 66 (or thereabouts) in 2023 so, if all goes well, it would allow Stock to retire here. I'd prefer not to think about the buyout, because that means MT is suffering through multiple 2-10 seasons.

Like Stock, hate Stock, or indifferent towards the man, he is a man of principal who seems deeply care about doing things the right way and what is the best for MT and the student-athlete.
I agree to a point. But any head coach will tell members of their coaching tree, "get the years first, then worry about the money." This is a really good deal for Stock as well. Just six years ago he was making half that base until Memphis made a run at him. He's getting an 8-year contract @ three-quarters of a million dollars minimum and coaches in a weak football conference that he can literally
own if he successfully recruits and maintains a serviceable QB with his usual haul of skill guys from FL and GA.

As usual, I see some things in this that I like about coach stock. More specifically, what I see is some of the stuff I like about him as a person. From what I can tell, he's a stand up kinda guy. I guess it could be argued that he invests his time and money in the program. The program really does need an indoor practice facility. At least that is one of the subtexts that I read into this story. Is an indoor practice facility coming sooner rather than later?

I'm glad that MT seems to have a decent stand up kind of guy as head coach, but fan support, energy, buzz, excitement, and attendance are desperately needed immediately. I'm sad to say that I think coach stock has lost that. We could argue about how right or wrong those circumstances are, but attendance and fan support are crucial. Clearly wins and success are key factors.

With coach stock having plenty of years now, generally above average outcomes on the field and the C-USA transition, it is getting to be past time for coach stock to get some wins that produces energy and buzz that results in attendance. Last season, I thought the last qtr of the season was a reasonably good chance to take a step in that winning direction with a bowl season. Unfortunately, MT lost crucial games that seemed to be winnable games down the stretch. IIRC, just one more win late in the season vs beatable conf opp would likely have put MT in a bowl game. I think MT blew the opportunity. I saw that as a setback with attendance, support, and energy already lower than most all of us find acceptable. It would seem coach stock really needs to get the team off to a strong start this season to have much of any hope of turning around interest and attendance anytime soon.

Again, coach stock seems like a good guy. As for the program, some more success, energy, and buzz are desperately needed. I really hope coach stock can lead the program to that successful place. It would be nice to see one of the good guys have that kind of success instead of the so many other bad stories we all read about every year. At the end of last season, I became skeptical that coach stock can get this done in a timely manner that the program so desperately needs.

Would anyone here give 400k back to your employer on your own because you want to help them and because you believe in them? Says a lot to me.

I know people have been down on Stock. However, we were a pick and a fumble from being 8-4. In the last 3 years, we are 22-15. In CUSA, we are 11-5 since we joined.

If MT is cash poor, then MT needs to review their contracts with some of these "marketing management" companies that control their stadium and cut into tix sales without providing any real return. That might save them some bucks too.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Damn Right Space!!! Post of the century right there! I'm ride or die with Stock. At least he cares and as long as he does, I'm right there with him. They say money talks. Well, he just threw about a half mill into the pot. Tells me all I need to know. I'll be there on Gameday.

Excellent points Space and blueraiderJT.

My earlier post might lean a little heavy on the discouragement with the end of last year and attendance, but coach stock does deserve some recognition for being one of the good guys. He seems dedicated and loyal to MT. From what I can see from a public perspective, I respect the guy. If his money goes a good way toward the practice facility, I think he would be deserving of having his name on the facility IMHO.

As for the success and attendance: I think coach stock and MT football would do so much better if they played all games like the team does vs P5 teams. He seems to coach the team to play all out with nothing to lose. It's usually good to see even if MT is outmatched. If they played like that in other games, I think coach stock would be overseeing tremendous success.

I know I am an outsider here, and I am sure you guys will kill me here, but it is hard for me to grasp the fact that a school that is short of cash can pay a football coach $720,000 a year. Must not be too strapped for cash.

I know I am an outsider here, and I am sure you guys will kill me here, but it is hard for me to grasp the fact that a school that is short of cash can pay a football coach $720,000 a year. Must not be too strapped for cash.
No need to kill you here. Just the cost of 1A and C-USA. Honestly, I'm not even sure how Coach Stock stacks up in pay vs other C-USA coaches. Still, I'd say it is a pretty big story of the coach giving back his $100,000 yr raise he had coming to him. I hope his giving, loyalty, and dedication result in better facilities, recruits, and ultimately more success that will pay off for him in the long run.

I do know in men's bball, much has been made of how underpaid HC Kermit Davis is in C-USA. I'd say he probably deserves a pay raise.

I'm sure most on here could detail better than me how Coach Stock turned down 2-3 times the amount of pay to stay at MT. I'm not sure what is going on, but there does seem to be some loyalty and good personal relationships in the athletic dept for good coaches to stay for so long while being underpaid. Of course I'd like to think that Murfreesboro being a pretty nice community in which to live would have a little something to do with coaches staying at MT.

Sure I would like for sellouts and Top 25 rankings, but there is something I like about loyal, older, mature, successful, long-tenured, and overall respected decent people staying as HCs at MT. Hopefully somewhere along the way and soon, maybe MT can have both.

Has anyone asked about an offset provision in the new contract in the event that at some point in the next 8 years Stock is not retained? Not being personal, it's strictly business. If for some unforeseen reason a change is needed, will MT receive credit towards the guarantee by the amount of his new salary at another institution? I have a reason for asking this. In 2011, Tommy West while on UAB's payroll as DC and still receiving roughly $900,000 from Memphis, was calling defensive sets from the UAB sideline in a comeback win against Memphis. I hope to goodness that Chris Massaro is smarter than RC Johnson. December 31, 2023 is a long way off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT