ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson @ Middle Tennessee, Wednesday 11AM

Wonder how Riverdale's Shelby Davenport feels now since when she signed with Clemson she said she wanted to sign with a "Big Time Program". At least she got to see a big time program today...just not the one she plays for.

Originally posted by blueboro007:
Wonder how Riverdale's Shelby Davenport feels now since when she signed with Clemson she said she wanted to sign with a "Big Time Program". At least she got to see a big time program today...just not the one she plays for.
love it...

Was over around Centerville and Dickson for the mid part of the day, in and out of the vehicle, trying to catch a word or two as the wmot signal faded in and out, and depending on the score ap on my phone when I got any kind of signal for the score. Wish I could have been there, with ear plugs (for times when I could hear, the squeal and screaming of the kids practically overwhelmed being able to hear what Dick Palmer was saying.

Originally posted by blueboro007:
went back and found the story on when she made her choice...

excerpt:

...Clemson is coached by Audra Smith, who is in her first season. Clemson is coming off a 9-21 season, and was 5-13 in the ACC.

"They need to turn things around," Davenport said. "I'm one of her first commits."

Davenport had offers from MTSU and Lipscomb among others. She said
she had dreamed of going to Vanderbilt, but never received an offer.

"That's where I wanted to be," Davenport said. "But they got done
with their recruit list and I wasn't offered. I was devastated. I didn't
know where I wanted to be because I had always set my goals on going
there."

But Clemson finally came calling.

The recruitment was brief, only about two to three days. Davenport
Googled the program and coaching staff in an attempt to get as much
information on the program as possible. The coaches recruited her as a
shooting guard.

"My family said to do what you want to do," she said. "If I wanted to
go big, go big. If I wanted to go small, go small. They supported me
with whatever I wanted to do." .....

It appears Davenport is like so many athletes today. Jump on the first offer from a "power" school just to satisfy some preconceived notion of what is important. High school kids with dreams in their eyes and inflated self concept.

Wind up either playing for a bad team or riding the bench instead or being a contributor at a school which would have been a better fit.

I would hope that all local prospects that get offers or looks from MT, in any sport, but spurn our university "to go big" instead of "go small" as the parents put it and therefore "influenced" the prospect, experience the 'embarassment' of losing in such a crushing way to Middle Tennessee. Clemson is clearly the inferior program as demonstrated yesterday. Maybe Davenport is a solid player or will develop into one. Clearly the Lady Raiders did not miss on not having her 'talent' on the winning side yesterday. the same goes for the other m'boro native playing for the tigers.

Must not have done much research on what a "big time" program is. Heck we beat them there last year by 25 points. I did see where Clemson only lost by 9 points to THE Ohio State University a couple of weeks ago though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT