ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL CFN: Ranking The College Football Conferences

I want to believe CUSA is better than the MAC, but I know MT is 0-3 in bowl games and all of them double digit losses.

Not complaining too much with that assessment. If anything, maybe a little favorable for C-USA. As they reported for the SunBelt, C-USA has the same problem of a big drop off after the top half.

This maybe for another thread on another day, but what about that drop off with certain new teams. The big question is:

How did that largest media market strategy workout for C-USA in the new media deals?

Maybe unbeknownst to us in the public, the large media markets helped keep the media deals from being even worse? In addition to the obvious poor timing of changing cord cutting cable landscape, maybe the poor performances of some of those large media market programs made things worse? Former commish Banowsky (sp?) suddenly departing just before renewal negotiations was a cause for concern. Who else was thinking what does he know that is not be publicly revealed?

I remember being quite surprised when C-USA picked up FIU & FAU and not MT. Upon consideration, C-USA seemed to be clearly going by size of media market. There seems to be some logic in that strategy. Was that strategy a winner when FAU & FIU had yet to demonstrate any sustained success in any major sport in the SBC? IIRC, FIU had one good season in football with T Y Hilton. Other than that, both FAU & FIU typically have losing records with maybe 2 or 3 decently competitive games a season. To top it off, the obvious disinterested fans of Miami just don't show up for their sporting events. Same sort of results for both in basketball.

UNT and UTSA seem to make a little more sense. Large media markets, but both seem to have excellent upside. At least UNT has a good season once every few years. They are a sleeping giant in a great media market.

ODU and Charlotte are good additions IMO. In addition to good media markets and overall good locations, they seem to have tons of potential in the future. Both have a good basketball history of success and winning. With time to grow, it seems reasonable that both of their football programs will take off.

Then came MT and almost as an afterthought, WKU. These late additions have brought a heck of a lot of success to C-USA almost from the start. MT and WKU would have seemed logical choices before FAU & FIU outside of size of media market. I know I thought that the decision makers for C-USA must know something I didn't about media contracts. Maybe they still do? Up to this point, it seems to me that FAU & FIU are hurting C-USA. Stepping up ooc scheduling in basketball would be a good start to help with conf RPI. Although, that problem is not limited to them alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT