RandallThomason

Blue Raider Legend
Jan 1, 2005
NCAA
14 ODU vs. 3 Purdue - Thursday at 8:50

CBI
Southern Miss at Longwood - Wednesday at 6:00

UAB at Brown - Wednesday at 6:00

CIT pairings not yet fully announced. Could be a conference team or two in that field.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Ole Miss has 12 losses and early exit in the conference tourney yet still gets an eight seed. It just reinforces the scam and validates his notion that he'd did all he could do here.

I want to watch the tournament but the whole thing is crooked. Furthermore, I get sick of Gonzaga being called a mid major.

The state of our conference is sad if we don't get a NIT bid.

CUSA has won its first round game in 4 or 5 consecutive seasons. Pretty remarkable if you ask me. ODU seems like a decent upset pick as well. The committee never gives CUSA its due.

FAU accepts CIT bid. Will play at Charleston Southern on Thursday. So that makes 6 total conference teams in postseason tournaments.

IIRC we were somewhat pleased that C-USA, early in the year, was apparently showing improved ranking when compared to other $#&-major conferences. One ranking I just checked has C-USA presently at #13. It seems as if I remember the conference languishing in the 19 to 21 range over the last few years.
Yet we get only one team in the two major tournaments. One would like to think with better overall rankings more bids would be forthcoming.
Would I be correct to assume that the bottom (which is where MT unfortunately resides this year) remained low, the top teams were not nearly as highly ranked (and seemed to be wildly inconsistent), and therefore the improvement in conference rankings must come in the middle?
And more importantly, if my assumption is correct what does this say for the future of the conference?

IIRC we were somewhat pleased that C-USA, early in the year, was apparently showing improved ranking when compared to other $#&-major conferences. One ranking I just checked has C-USA presently at #13. It seems as if I remember the conference languishing in the 19 to 21 range over the last few years.
Yet we get only one team in the two major tournaments. One would like to think with better overall rankings more bids would be forthcoming.
Would I be correct to assume that the bottom (which is where MT unfortunately resides this year) remained low, the top teams were not nearly as highly ranked (and seemed to be wildly inconsistent), and therefore the improvement in conference rankings must come in the middle?
And more importantly, if my assumption is correct what does this say for the future of the conference?

Going by the Pomeroy ratings, last year the league had 3 teams in the top 70 and one team outside the top 300. This year, we didn’t have a top 100 team but we also didn’t have any teams outside the top 300. So you are right in that the conference was deeper in the middle and better at the bottom, but worse at the top. Some of the conference teams that posted quality OOC wins were too inconsistent throughout the rest of the year. For example, WKU had wins over West Virginia, Arkansas, St. Mary’s, and Wisconsin. But they weren’t consistently good enough to merit the NIT. FAU had wins over UCF and Illinois but was 17-15 overall. ODU beat both Syracuse and VCU, but was otherwise inconsistent in non-conference play and therefore ended up seeded 14th. Louisiana Tech opened the year with a road win at Wichita State but ended up faltering.

Going by the Pomeroy ratings, last year the league had 3 teams in the top 70 and one team outside the top 300. This year, we didn’t have a top 100 team but we also didn’t have any teams outside the top 300. So you are right in that the conference was deeper in the middle and better at the bottom, but worse at the top. Some of the conference teams that posted quality OOC wins were too inconsistent throughout the rest of the year. For example, WKU had wins over West Virginia, Arkansas, St. Mary’s, and Wisconsin. But they weren’t consistently good enough to merit the NIT. FAU had wins over UCF and Illinois but was 17-15 overall. ODU beat both Syracuse and VCU, but was otherwise inconsistent in non-conference play and therefore ended up seeded 14th. Louisiana Tech opened the year with a road win at Wichita State but ended up faltering.
Old Dominion was seeded 56 in the overall seeds. 56. Let that sink in for a minute.

ODU is a very beatable team. They are about where they have been the last few years. They were fortunate that the conference's top teams were not as good this year. I think CUSA's winning streak in the first round ends this year.

This conference is going nowhere with Judy at the helm. Why these conference presidents don't insist on something better is beyond me.

If any of the other schools have presidents like ours I can see exactly why we don't have anything better.

The AAC hires a former TV exec to run their conference and CUSA hire a former Tulsa administrator. There is a world of difference between the two and it shows.

Marshall wins over IUPUI in CIT first round. 78-73. Jon Elmore became the school’s all time leading scorer in the win.

wow...by Brown and Longwood? SMH. Embarrassing to lose, probably just as embarrassing that they were playing on the road at those two 'programs'

USM’s loss is the worse of the two. They were favored by about 10 points and got blown out. UAB was a slight underdog to Brown. I agree that playing on the road is probably the bigger storyline from these games. If a C-USA team is going to play in these tournaments, I wish they would just spend the money to host at least one game. If we are playing in them, we need to be winning in them.

USM’s loss is the worse of the two. They were favored by about 10 points and got blown out. UAB was a slight underdog to Brown. I agree that playing on the road is probably the bigger storyline from these games. If a C-USA team is going to play in these tournaments, I wish they would just spend the money to host at least one game. If we are playing in them, we need to be winning in them.

I don't think we or any cusa team should be playing in a cbi or cit pay to play tourney

here's an in game tweet from the usm beat guy

I don't think we or any cusa team should be playing in a cbi or cit pay to play tourney

here's an in game tweet from the usm beat guy

I don’t mind if a team wants to play in those tournaments. In certain circumstances I think it makes a lot of sense. It worked great for North Texas last year. They won the CBI championship and had 6,000+ people in the stands for the final game. The problem for them is they didn’t parlay that into a big year this season. I don’t like playing in them if it means your team has to make a road trip to Longwood. That’s just silly.

I don't care if USM had to walk to Farmville. No excuse to losing to that team. Especially as bad as they did.

I watched most of UAB at Brown last night on ESPN+. It looked like a pickup game with the perimeter guys on both teams putting up 3s with little resistance. In UAB's defense, gotta be hard going on the road to play in a facility similar to a high school gym with 800 people (what it looked like) in attendance.
We came on the road to Rhode Island to play in this??? Seriously???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT