ADVERTISEMENT

Buster Faulkner has to be on a short leash....

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Can't imagine the staff not changing with another bad season. Hell, I could potentially see him leaving this offseason if Stockstill comes across an intriguing candidate. I think we still might see staff shake ups after the big coaching convention in January.

Stockstill knows we have problems on the offensive side of the ball. We cannot win a game without rushing for at least 200 yards. That right there tells me our offensive coordinator cannot get it done unless the team is making it easy for him. Faulkner is terrible at generating offense when the players are not dominating their opponents. And please don't misinterpret what I mean by that.

What I'm trying to say is, many coaches across the land can adjust a game plan and find ways to generate offense when the line of scrimmage is equal or they're even losing. (ie. knowing when the enemy will blitz and throwing a screen). Faulkner (and consequently Grammar) can't seem to get anything done if we are not completely dominating our opponent. Our offense is feast or famine because of this. They either turn in a great performance or look like they should all be replaced. Faulkner has even alluded to this phenomena in his post game comments. For example, after beating Marshall last year, Faulkner made the comment that he had to resist from calling other plays. He said something to the effect of having to be disciplined to call the same play over and over. In my eyes, that's the team making it easy for him. Offensive coordinators should know when to ride a play, but Faulkner and his offenses have become dependent on it. Where this becomes a huge problem is when the plays are NOT working and he continues to call the same shit over and over. Run, run, run anybody? Or one WR screen after another? Zero predictability. After you see our first 3-4 plays on offense in the beginning of a game, you know what 95% of the rest of the plays will be. We are not forcing teams to defend the entire field and have become insanely too predictable.

It's understandable for a team to have those inconsistencies and weaknesses during the first week or two of the season....but when those problems are still clearly present in the last game of the year, you know something has to change.

Personally, I'd love to see a new offensive coordinator in this program. I don't think Faulkner was ever the right hire to begin with (so unqualified in my opinion) and I can't help but wonder if Stock is feeling the same. One thing Stock hasn't been stubborn with is offensive coordinators as he's ran several out of town, however; it could be different with Faulkner because I guarantee Stock has his fingerprints all over our game plans and play calling so he might want to keep Faulkner so he can continue meddling in the offense.

The most successful offensive coordinators we've had here at MT have been insanely independent coaches. Fedora obviously did his own thing and Franklin wanted to operate his own ship as well. Rumor is Stock ran Franklin out of town because of his constant desire to meddle in the offensive game plan and play calling (Which makes perfect sense because Franklin made a lateral move despite having all the keys in place to have another monster season)

Ever wonder how we went from a 10-2 team blowing Southern Miss out in the New Orleans bowl to a 6-7 team getting spanked by Miami-Ohio behind 4 INT's from our QB.....with virtually the same players......(QB D. Dasher, RB's Phillip Tanner & Desmond Gee...)

Let me paint you a picture....

On February 5, 2009, Franklin was hired to fill the vacant position of offensive coordinator at Steve Spurrier.
Under Franklin's tutelage, the Blue Raiders offense improved from 7th in the conference in scoring before his arrival (and 84th in the nation) to 2nd in the conference his first season (and 23rd in the nation). Despite a losing record the year prior, MTSU finished the regular season with a 9-3 record including a win over the Maryland from the Atlantic Coast Conference (the lone conference loss came at Troy). The press characterized the year as redemption for Franklin after the difficulties at Auburn the prior year. Franklin's offense helped the Blue Raiders finish with 10 wins (after beating Southern Mississippi 42-32 in the New Orleans Bowl), the program's best record since it entered the Bowl Subdivision (Division I-A) in 1999, with the offense averaging over 420 yards per game. Franklin's 2009 unit set MTSU records in total yards, passing yards, and total points. Quarterback Dwight Dasher finished the season ranked 7th in the nation in total offense, threw for a school record 23 TD passes, and was named the SBC Player of the Week three times.

On February 17, 2010, Sonny Dykes announced the hiring of Franklin as offensive coordinator.

On March 3, Mike Schultz, former Miami (OH) 21-35.

And it's been all down hill ever since.

Please stock, hire a legit FBS offensive coordinator and let him do his job. You're not the offensive mind you think you are and you know it.

I do agree with you here. We do need some changes on the staff.

I definately want West gone. I don't know what value Steve Ellis brings either.

I'm on the fence on Faulkner.

The most frustrating thing is we've seen the offense go from deadly to incompetent, and back again, with no real explaination. And it's been this way his entire time here.

From Faulkner's track record at Murray State, I don't think it's hard to infer that he'd like to pass the ball primarily.

Originally posted by RaiderDoug:

The most frustrating thing is we've seen the offense go from deadly to incompetent, and back again, with no real explaination. And it's been this way his entire time here.

From Faulkner's track record at Murray State, I don't think it's hard to infer that he'd like to pass the ball primarily.
Doug, if Stock continues to mettle in the playcalling duties as many on here suggest, what difference should it make who our OC is? That's why I asked the question in a previous thread.

The offense goes bad when Stock takes over - and yes, it's been that way for 9 years with the exception of the Franklin year.

If Franklin wasn't crazy, he would have stayed but that guy was nuts. Stock does get too involved in the offense. That's obvious. Buster has called some good games too. We had the same problems with Mangus.

We'll see what happens. We had more than enough talent to be 8-4 right now. A fumble and a bad pick from being 8-4 as a matter of fact.

If you want some fresh blood on D, all Stock has to do is get on 24 east and head down about 2 hours down to Chattanooga. They have the no. 5 defense in FCS right now. No. 3 against the pass. Secondary coach anyone? Good D line coach too. I'd poach em both.

Originally posted by bigbadjohn45:

Doug, if Stock continues to mettle in the playcalling duties as many on here suggest, what difference should it make who our OC is? That's why I asked the question in a previous thread.
Do we know this for a fact?

It's just hard for me to believe that we go from having a very effective offense in one game, and then all of a sudden Stock decides to call plays and we go to a very incompetent offense.

I'd love it if we had a beat writer who would ask some tough questions. I've said this about a dozen times now.

I explained all this in my original post.

Our offense is feast or famine because our game plan either works (we score a lot of points) or it doesn't work (we don't score a lot of points) and we look like shit.

There's no middle ground because we make no adjustments. The play calling either works or it doesn't, period.

There's a reason we beat up on teams with poor records but can never win against decent teams. The teams with poor records are usually helpless and can't stop our running game or short throws so we score a ton of points. Any time we play a decent team they know how to take us out of our comfort zone and from that point we don't stand a chance because this staff doesn't make adjustments, thus we score little to no points. Pretty simple stuff here guys.

You realize we didn't win a single game this year without our offense rushing for 200+ yards, right?[/B] Basically, we lost every game that our offensive line didn't totally dominate. How is that acceptable?
[/B]
We were and still are a 1 trick pony that's insanely easy to shut down and that's plain to see for any casual fan. And things won't be changing any time soon as long as we continue to follow the status quo.

I don't know this for a fact, but just about everyone and his brother on here has accused him of that now for the longest!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

At any rate, if, indeed, Stock is either calling the plays or overriding plays the OC calls on a regular basis, then it really doesn't seem to matter who the OC is as he would merely be a rubber stamp for Stock.

Honestly, if Stock is the main playcaller, shouldn't Massaro be calling him on the carpet about this and insist that Stock start allowing the OC to do his job?

I don't know this for a fact, but just about everyone and his brother on here has accused him of that now for the longest!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

At any rate, if, indeed, Stock is either calling the plays or overriding plays the OC calls on a regular basis, then it really doesn't seem to matter who the OC is as he would merely be a rubber stamp for Stock.

Honestly, if Stock is the main playcaller, shouldn't Massaro be calling him on the carpet about this and insist that Stock start allowing the OC to do his job?
Absolutely. I never liked the idea of a HC being involved in the play-to-play calling of the game. There's too much that needs to be managed not to delegate responsibility to the guys whose job it is to do that.

Seems like Stock calling plays is message board lore. Kinda like Bibee doesn't recruit. Watts is vindictive etc.

For the record, I don't think (and never have accused) Stock of calling plays. I do think he meddles in the game plan and "strongly suggests" what'd he like to see. I imagine him chewing Faulkner out any time he is "too aggressive" and constantly encouraging him to stick to the run and short throws and be conservative.

This post was edited on 12/11 7:58 PM by sWiley

Originally posted by sWiley:
For the record, I don't think (and never have accused) Stock of calling plays. I do think he meddles in the game plan and "strongly suggests" what'd he like to see. I imagine him chewing Watts out any time he is "too aggressive" and constantly encouraging him to stick to the run and short throws and be conservative.
That's kind of the way I think it goes down as well.

The guy is on the headset, hears the plays, and makes changes when he feels necessary, for better or worse.

Which is exactly why we need an offensive coordinator with complete autonomy. History shows Stock will never allow it, but history also shows that we are not that good, so why not consider it? Surely he cannot be that stubborn?

3dgrin.r191677.gif

It's not uncommon for a offensive head coach to retain playacting duties even with a OC on staff

Any HC worth his salt is going to retain final say on a play.

It's ridiculous to think, even if CRS changes CBF's call that it is always bad while if Buster had his way, its a 100% to the good and we'd be averaging 800 yds of offense a game.

In the FIU and UTEP losses, turnovers by players were the main problem, not a scheme or play call.

Final say? Maybe on 4th and 3.....not 1st and 10.

I'm sorry, but Stockstill's offensive prowess isn't anything to write home about. I can see why ECU fans called him Stuckstill and quickly replaced him.

If you're going to hire an offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator then let them do their job and let it stand on its own merits. If you don't like the job they're doing, hire someone else, but don't try to do their job for them. Not only does it result in poor outcomes on the field, but any coordinator worth his salt will not want to work for you (ie. Tony Franklin) because your constantly meddling in his business. It's literally the worst possible thing he could do and undermines his team & program despite his good intentions.

You would think that at this point in Stock's life he would be wise enough to know his shortcomings and weaknesses and rely on his staff to handle those. The worst possible thing Stockstill can do for this team is mettle in the offensive scheme and play calling and he continues to do it. Why? It's borderline sabotaging our football program.

Let Faulkner do the damn job you hired him for and if the results don't speak for themselves then find someone else, simple as that.

I seriously wonder sometimes how much success a program would have if they hired a random guy off the street because that guy (if he wasn't a moron) would rely on the experts he has hired to do their jobs. A successful football team is no different from a successful company or business.

You've gotta let the experts you've hired have autonomy and execute their job instead of micromanaging everything.

It's really quite baffling because Stock is a lifer and has forgotten more football than I or you will ever know yet he continues to micromanage.

Will he ever learn?
This post was edited on 12/11 10:06 PM by sWiley

"You realize we didn't win a single game this year without our offense rushing for 200+ yards, right?[/B] Basically, we lost every game that our offensive line didn't totally dominate. How is that acceptable?"

SWiley, I understand your frustration and this isn't in defense of faulkner, but your statement is somewhat ridiculous. There are about 125 other D1 schools that if their offensive line couldn't block the front 7, I can assure you the odds of winning the game is slim - unless they were +2 or +3 in the turnover margin which would be unlikely under that scenario. Unlike the NFL where it is a qb heavy pass attack, college football, for now, is still won in the trenches on both sides of the ball. 19 and 20 yr old college qb's can't throw the ball 50 times a game and not turn it over. And we all know, if you turn it over, you're beat.

Honestly anyone that watches more than 2 games can figure out the plays they are going to be calling. It's down right pathetic. I have sat in front of my tv so many times calling out the plays and where the ball will go that it's stupid to think a defensive coordinator isn't doing the same. Buster is really bad.

And at what point will we ever get a strong armed QB that can actually stretch the field? From Clint to Craddock to Austin, none of them can even throw it deep. I like the power running game approach we have taken, but without a QB that can stretch the field a bit the defensive just creeps up and shuts down the offense.

Originally posted by Sommy:
Honestly anyone that watches more than 2 games can figure out the plays they are going to be calling. It's down right pathetic. I have sat in front of my tv so many times calling out the plays and where the ball will go that it's stupid to think a defensive coordinator isn't doing the same. Buster is really bad.

And at what point will we ever get a strong armed QB that can actually stretch the field? From Clint to Craddock to Austin, none of them can even throw it deep. I like the power running game approach we have taken, but without a QB that can stretch the field a bit the defensive just creeps up and shuts down the offense.
That's why I think Austin was hurt or something happened.

The first 4 conference games, we attacked downfield and featured a passing game that complemented our running game. We had 10 or so more passing attempts per game, and over 80 yards a game more.

In the last 4, we virtually abandoned the pass as anything but a means to pick up a 3rd and long. We went 2-2 and posted the worst offensive #'s of the year.

And I think the competition was actually softer in the last half of the conference slate (FIU, FAU, UTEP, UAB) vs the first half (Marshall, WKU, ODU, USM).

Nothing about this year made sense.

Originally posted by sWiley:
Final say? Maybe on 4th and 3.....not 1st and 10.

I'm sorry, but Stockstill's offensive prowess isn't anything to write home about. I can see why ECU fans called him Stuckstill and quickly replaced him.

If you're going to hire an offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator then let them do their job and let it stand on its own merits. If you don't like the job they're doing, hire someone else, but don't try to do their job for them. Not only does it result in poor outcomes on the field, but any coordinator worth his salt will not want to work for you (ie. Tony Franklin) because your constantly meddling in his business. It's literally the worst possible thing he could do and undermines his team & program despite his good intentions.

You would think that at this point in Stock's life he would be wise enough to know his shortcomings and weaknesses and rely on his staff to handle those. The worst possible thing Stockstill can do for this team is mettle in the offensive scheme and play calling and he continues to do it. Why? It's borderline sabotaging our football program.

Let Faulkner do the damn job you hired him for and if the results don't speak for themselves then find someone else, simple as that.

I seriously wonder sometimes how much success a program would have if they hired a random guy off the street because that guy (if he wasn't a moron) would rely on the experts he has hired to do their jobs. A successful football team is no different from a successful company or business.

You've gotta let the experts you've hired have autonomy and execute their job instead of micromanaging everything.

It's really quite baffling because Stock is a lifer and has forgotten more football than I or you will ever know yet he continues to micromanage.

Will he ever learn?
This post was edited on 12/11 10:06 PM by sWiley
+100. Amen, Brother, and hallelujah!! Someone else sees the light.

Changing OC will not make a lot of difference, Stock has been our coach for 9 years. He is cautious and conservative. At the end of the first half for several years, he will run first - if we pick up a few first downs then he will consider trying to score. We have seen him not go for it on 4th down against good team and play it safe.

He is old school, he is not going to change. Our Offense will never be wide open. He is the constant in all of this - don't blame Faulkner, look at Stock. He is the leader, he should be held accountable.

Originally posted by Blueraider_Mike:
Changing OC will not make a lot of difference, Stock has been our coach for 9 years. He is cautious and conservative. At the end of the first half for several years, he will run first - if we pick up a few first downs then he will consider trying to score. We have seen him not go for it on 4th down against good team and play it safe.

He is old school, he is not going to change. Our Offense will never be wide open. He is the constant in all of this - don't blame Faulkner, look at Stock. He is the leader, he should be held accountable.
This is where Massaro needs to step in and read the writing on the wall for Stockstill. The fans are fed up with his "old school" approach, and as a result, attendance and revenue is suffering. He should be told to be much more aggressive in his approach, let the OC do his job, or start looking for another job.

Originally posted by mtutmut:

Originally posted by Blueraider_Mike:

This is where Massaro needs to step in and read the writing on the wall for Stockstill. The fans are fed up with his "old school" approach, and as a result, attendance and revenue is suffering. He should be told to be much more aggressive in his approach, let the OC do his job, or start looking for another job.
Well put! How many times do you see us employ the tight end on slant routes? How many times do you see pitch-outs? Seldom if ever on both counts!

Additionally, we continue to run the ball right up the middle, or run nonsensical, sideways routes. Gosh, are we predictable!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT