ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS in the Premium Folder for MT fans

You made a post on fb on 11-16-21 that is really eerie to read.
About Rick donating to BBB.

Nostradamus.

at least they set the bar for wins for auto-extensions really high...LOL

Stock has the best agent in the world. Ever in history.

Reactions: crclarke55
You made a post on fb on 11-16-21 that is really eerie to read.
About Rick donating to BBB.

Nostradamus.
you mean this or was your post directed to someone else?

What it means, I strongly suspect, is CRS will leave on his own terms and timing. On the off chance MT was going to buy him out at some point, the half million is a investment from him to allow him to finish out his contract as he wants. Compare it to the diversion of his pay previously that allowed the extension of his contract that got us to this point.

I won't be surprised if this is actually part of a renegotiated extension or terms of his contract. If it is, I suspect it will take an FOIA to make it public knowledge.

Excuse me for being so cynical...

Please excuse the length and messy nature of this post, but it is from the heart:

It's really hard to continue to want to be associated with, support, or even care for an institution that regularly gives you the middle finger. At this level of institution, I have found it difficult to buy into "conspiracy theories. " At some point though, one has to ask at what point is this intentional? When enough actions start to stack up, it starts to become difficult to deny that this is intentional.

Despite the constant repeated messages of screw you, we don't really care how you think or feel about MT, I have still held out hope for some sort of change. I still find myself checking in on games (even if from a distance) because I still hope to see MT teams succeeding and doing great things. With a few rare exceptions, it's more losing, disappointing performances, low expectations, or just plain mediocrity.

It's starting to become painfully obvious to me that I'm still trying to live the dream of Dr Walker's that drew me into the university in the 90s. Sadly, that dream and vision has been all but stamped out by the powers placed in authority over the university since then. Faced with this ongoing reality where those in authority double down on mediocrity rather than offer hope, I am now faced with seriously reevaluating my attitude towards the university.

I've already distanced myself in recent years observing and checking for any signs of hope and positive change. At this point, there isn't much left except to throw in the towel and saying I'm done with MT. I'm not saying I've done that, but 10 - 15 years ago it would have seemed unimaginable that I would even have found myself in this situation of actually considering being done with all things MT. That is except for you cool and great folks around here that I have known personally or feel like I know from all your posts.

While not final in my evaluation just yet, it is looking much like the end of me and my affinity for or any support, advocacy, or fandom for MTSU. In short, I am mighty close to being done with MTSU. I have been hoping for and supporting something that no longer exists in that ongoing leadership have seemed to have deliberately destroyed and/or ruined Dr Walker's dream and vision. Perhaps it should be more accurately stated that MTSU and it's appointed long term leadership are done with me.

Duke, not a messy post at all. An important & from the heart post. Many on here are probably having similar contemplations about the subject at hand. Personally I have come to accept that the sullying of our university by a small handful has occurred. When I say I accept, it doesn't mean I'm pleased with the outcome. I've followed MT athletics since Monte Hale was calling games for Jimmy Earle with players like Sleepy Taylor, George Sorrell & Fred Allen. And as a kid thought how great it would be to see a full 50,000 seat stadium here. Your right, it is sad to see Dr Walker's dream corrupted, but it has & that stadium will never happen. I recently joined our message board to communicate with those who had fond memories & high hopes for a once bright future. Obviously those hopes have left, & one by one our fellow Members here will probably be leaving too. I'll continue to hang around. The men's & women's basketball teams are my motivation now. Hopefully the powers that be will not do to those programs as they've done to football.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
There is not a single person on this board that is happy about this BS. I think we are all in full agreement there. However, there is not a dang thing any of us can do about it either and that's the frustration. I root for the team, (kids playing) not the coach or even the program at this point. I might go to one game a season now. I used to be there no matter what. That's not on me. That's on them. We are the Cleaveland Browns. Plain and simple.

What's crazy is that they are keeping this so under the radar. No statement or anything. If it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't have known. They know it's a bad deal and that no one is gonna be happy about it. Why not shout it out if that's not the case?

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Can we get a comment from Massaro? Austin? Matt?
Speaking for myself - and myself alone here - one of the big questions I have is why ANOTHER contract extension was kept quiet. It's at least the 2nd time MT has extended a contract of a HC. If you're so proud of a coach that you want to extend him on a 6 year deal, then proclaim it to the world.
The fact it was kept quiet suggests (to me) that all is not well in the state of MT athletics.

Speaking for myself - and myself alone here - one of the big questions I have is why ANOTHER contract extension was kept quiet. It's at least the 2nd time MT has extended a contract of a HC. If you're so proud of a coach that you want to extend him on a 6 year deal, then proclaim it to the world.
The fact it was kept quiet suggests (to me) that all is not well in the state of MT athletics.
The fact that fans of conference rivals have reached out to express sympathy, join in the frustration, and ask why speaks volumes about how Stock (the coach) is perceived by other fans too.

Best I can tell, support for Stock & his extension has been limited to former players (entitled to their opinion on this too).

Next kid who calls me for money is going to get an earful.
Sunshine laws and FOIA procedures were enacted for this very reason. How they respond to this being made public will be interesting to watch.

Got another direct mail piece from the Development Office last week asking for money. I just pitched it in the trash.

The auto extensions for 6-6 and APR 940 are still in place from what I gathered. Friggin insane. I want the name of his agent thoough.

The auto extensions for 6-6 and APR 940 are still in place from what I gathered. Friggin insane. I want the name of his agent thoough.

THAT is what pisses me off.
I don't blame Stock in the least. He was given a standard to keep his job and he meets it. For nearly $1m a year.

I blame CM and McPhee. And yes I will gladly say this if I ever see them in person. Not that they would listen, but still.

6-6 was a fine standard for the first extension. Building the program from what it was with Andy. But now, 17yrs later, it should be set higher. THAT is 100% on CM and McPhee.

I posted this on Twitter in reply to Austin and Murphy. He gets an extension with this being the CURRENT situation. So this is what is being rewarded.

One division crown in 16yrs.
15-23 since that crown.
3-6 in bowls.

And why was it drawn up in 2019 but not signed till this year? Did they say hey, skip covid and if you win a bowl in 21 sign it? I mean yeah, right.

I’m actually kind of tired of talking/thinking about it. They have made their terms and I reject. Because of leadership, I don’t plan to go to support other events either unless I get a heavily discounted ticket.

I don’t think we are going to get one response from the yahoos in charge.

THAT is what pisses me off.
I don't blame Stock in the least. He was given a standard to keep his job and he meets it. For nearly $1m a year.

I blame CM and McPhee. And yes I will gladly say this if I ever see them in person. Not that they would listen, but still.

6-6 was a fine standard for the first extension. Building the program from what it was with Andy. But now, 17yrs later, it should be set higher. THAT is 100% on CM and McPhee.

I posted this on Twitter in reply to Austin and Murphy. He gets an extension with this being the CURRENT situation. So this is what is being rewarded.

One division crown in 16yrs.
15-23 since that crown.
3-6 in bowls.

And why was it drawn up in 2019 but not signed till this year? Did they say hey, skip covid and if you win a bowl in 21 sign it? I mean yeah, right.
Let’s not forget 2 losses to FCS schools in Season 7 and Season 17 (one at home).

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Why? Their actions speak louder than any bullshit spin they can put on this. Find me one person who thinks this was a good idea/move.

They have made it clear that 1) they don’t give two shits about the alumni/fan base (not that’s there’s one left), 2) championships don’t matter, and 3) mediocre is good enough here. I wonder what it’s like to be associated with a school that actually cares about winning and building a program?
I just want them to at least go through the motions of saying why they did it. I mean these dudes make half a million dollars with zero accountability. They can’t even put out a damn press release.

My point is I want them to comment on why this website had to do a FOIA request to learn of the last two extensions that’s my only question. I’ll hang up and listen.

What is just as sad, and this is NO knock on Austin as he did some great work getting this out...but it is crazy that we have no local/regional media coverage that would look in this themselves. If it weren't for us fans, the ones they are pissing off, no one would even know.

I mean the only one who shows up at our "press conferences" has an office down the hall from the coach.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Wow, what a terrible way to start off my day. I saw the post on the C-USA board first and just thought someone posted in a very old thread about Stockstill's last extension, but no, they actually agreed to an extension....WTF? When/where have you ever seen results like below rewarded??

2021: 7-6; bowl win, only beat two FBS teams with winning records
2020: 3-6
2019: 4-8
2018: 8-6; bowl loss, only beat two FBS teams with winning records
2017: 7-6; bowl win, only beat two FBS teams with winning records
2016: 8-5; bowl loss, only beat two FBS teams with winning records
2015: 7-6; bowl loss, only beat one FBS team with winning record

This fact that this was done in the dark tells you all you need to know about crony-ism, the expectations/demands and ambitions of the program, and how they feel about the fans.

I've been following college football for almost 30 years, and I have never heard of a school extending a coach and essentially hiding it. Extending a coach is generally a goodwill building moment - the reign of success continues, everyone gets the warm fuzzies, etc. Not here though. They knew this would go about as well as our offensive line vs any team with a pulse.

We have two choices as fans:

Simply quit - I wouldn't blame anyone. This is an entertainment product, and it's certainly not entertaining. Fans can't demand wins, but they deserve effort, and if MT Athletics is not going to put forth any effort, why should we?

Revolt - I have work schedule where I don't know where in the country i'm going to be this afternoon, much less able to plan for a game several weeks from now. But i'm pissed off enough that if I can make it to a game, i'm going to order a gigantic Fire Stockstill banner, and show up with a bag over my head.

Yep. We had the story on the McD extension before last season but the decision was made not to run it. Not my decision. It’s why I don’t write here any longer.

To their credit, that extension does not look bad given the results of last basketball season.

But to your larger point, Massaro is a MUCH bigger issue for MT athletics than Rick Stockstill. Stock has a ton of respect in the industry, even if most folks think he has worn out his welcome.

I want to stress I am speaking for myself here, just an outside observer. Massaro has ZERO respect nationwide. I’ve talked to plenty of folks who say he is one of most inept administrators they have ever worked with. And the school President/board clearly feel the same because they refuse to give him a long term contract.

A complete embarrassment to be associated with this program. How could this possibly have been justified? And it auto renews with 6 wins???? WTF? Something is shady here. This deserves some sort of public embarrassment of Massaro and McPhee. Someone needs to publicly call them out. I would think ESPN would have an interest in writing an expose based on just the shock value of the situation, people would read it that don't know the program. Anyone know people at ESPN to dangle a story in front of them?

I will check box scores and maybe tune in for a bit if games are on tv, but unless they go on a winning streak it's just too hard as a fan. They give you nothing in return.

I REALLY hope they lose every single remaining game this year. As a fan that's the only recourse.

Reactions: Hop45
2028 +1 everytime he gets 6 wins, not sure if there is a limit on that. What if that bastard lives to be 100 and refuses to retire?

• Haha
2028 +1 everytime he gets 6 wins, not sure if there is a limit on that. What if that bastard lives to be 100 and refuses to retire?

Saban will be 79 when his current contract expires. Stock will be 65 in December. So if Stock coaches to Saban (if Saban retires then), it will be the end of the 2036 season.

His mentor Bobby Bowden retired at 80.

he will likely use his contract leverage to negotiate his retirement and install his son as the new head coach who will coach here 30 years himself

Half a century of Stockstill as the head coach.

we are F’d

he will likely use his contract leverage to negotiate his retirement and install his son as the new head coach who will coach here 30 years himself

Half a century of Stockstill as the head coach.

we are F’d

Exactly. I had someone tell me the other day it was the same for basketball. No. No it isn't. Matt was a head coach, of an SEC team no less, before he was brought back here. It is far from the same thing.

At this point we need to be asking ourselves, does Brent have kids ? MT Head coaching job is going to be a royalty gig for the Stockstill family.

Has there ever been in the history of the ncaa where a school has employed its major head coach for 20 years & retained a losing record? If not anywhere else in the past, looks like a distinct possibility for the future here

Has there ever been in the history of the ncaa where a school has employed its major head coach for 20 years & retained a losing record? If not anywhere else in the past, looks like a distinct possibility for the future here

certainly not in the modern era. I’m sure there’s some division 3 or NAIA guy but if we are talking FBS/D1, then no. No head coach in modern day times has ever stayed at a school for 15+ years and amassed a losing record. Not even for 10+ years.

Stockstill is pretty lucky CUSA football is watered down now because he would definitely be retiring from here with a losing record with the old CUSA. Hell, he may still retire with a losing record despite CUSA now being the weakest of all FBS conferences. Stocks record has been bad since Brent graduated. And I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Yeah I may be about done with MT and college sports. If our admins don’t care, why should I?

certainly not in the modern era. I’m sure there’s some division 3 or NAIA guy but if we are talking FBS/D1, then no. No head coach in modern day times has ever stayed at a school for 15+ years and amassed a losing record. Not even for 10+ years.

Stockstill is pretty lucky CUSA football is watered down now because he would definitely be retiring from here with a losing record with the old CUSA. Hell, he may still retire with a losing record despite CUSA now being the weakest of all FBS conferences. Stocks record has been bad since Brent graduated. And I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Heck. We already lost to upstarter JMU. Why not continue the pattern with Sam Houston and Jacksonville. Not to mention getting our butts ripped by Liberty.

Heck. We already lost to upstarter JMU. Why not continue the pattern with Sam Houston and Jacksonville. Not to mention getting our butts ripped by Liberty.

yup yup yup. All likely outcomes. I’m very interested to see what Sam Houston can do with a full allotment of FBS scholarships. I could easily see them having some App St/Coastal Caroline type of success.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
The way this entire university is being run should be investigated. I'll never step foot on that campus again nor will I give any more money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT