ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Boom! Another Commitment

" . . . a bow on the "17 recruiting class . . . "

Is that what you call it when you oversign? 8 returning scholarship players next year plus 6 in the '17 class - If my math is correct that's 14 which is, baring defections or injury, one over the 13 allowed for men's BkB by the NCAA. Oh well, it has worked out before but I was hoping we had seen the last of the oversigning. In a month we'll see if all sign in the early period then we can start speculating about how it'll be resolved.

Well, you have variables in play here like the Hope Scholarship. That, and you have some question marks around guys like Simpson and how he'll bounce back from that injury.

Speaking of Simpson: since he had Ivy League offers I have no doubt that he is on a full academic scholarship but if I understand the NCAA rules correctly he still counts against the 13 limit.

I know Ivory, who will never don a uniform again, can remain on his scholarship and not count.

Really wish I knew all the ins and outs of scholarships.

I think history here has taught us that teams can and do lose players for various reasons. The occasional player for personal reasons. Some for lack of PT who want to transfer where they might get more PT elsewhere. Players get injured. You never know who and when, but injuries happen. It seems pretty smart to me that Kermit covers his bases regarding possible changes to the roster. For years now, his approach in this regard has worked out just fine as far as I can tell. The numbers all seem to work out in the wash.

While I do not recall any specific examples off the top of my head, I imagine coaches have to account for the fact that verbal commitments aren't binding. For the most part, I suspect it is as stated above with possible loss of someone for some unknown unforeseen reason.

Another observation:

I imagine this based on the recent success, but I do not ever recall MT basketball getting this many commitments this early. Over the years, MT rarely seemed to be able to get that many recruits to sign in the early signing period. It seemed that in most years, the roster had to be filled by waiting until the late signing period. That almost seemed the norm rather than the exception.

This year, it seems like recruits are eager to get on board with MT. It seems they do not want to miss out on an opportunity to play for MT. Seems reasonable to suggest this could well be benefits of the recent incredible success. A few more years of this and a fan could get giddy with the prospects for further improvement and success.

FWIW, if Szmidt had not committed, MT might have stayed with what they already had, so this guard was pretty well prized by this staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT