ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Attendance numbers down across CUSA

People have many entertainment options today that weren't available in the past but I think the biggest attendance killer for college sports is TV.

I know a few people who stay home and flip between games instead of attending one in person.

Last edited:
I wish that pic would stop being used, there were twice as many on the visitor's side 20 mins later. Plus, it was fall break...even then, we all know our attendance is suffering.

Also, numbers are down across the entire country, not just CUSA. Whoever wrote this piece of captain obvious. The numbers have been falling for years.

Sell booze and attendance will go up
Do that and the folks in the outdoor suites will go ballistic. Can't get a permit to sell it if you have folks bringing their own into the stadium in coolers to stock their suites. That bunch ain't gonna pay a markup on alcohol. Liberty Bowl checks for flasks and other creative smuggling devices at every entrance. They sell $4 beer during the first 45 minutes after the gates open. Amazing how that draws the cows to the trough and the crowd looks good for TV at kickoff. Then again, LB is an off campus venue. When I was a member of Stadium Club at MT, you had to keep all alcohol in your assigned locker. My wife didn't know the drill for the Memphis game in '13 and brought her wine bottle over to our table and Linda W. had to catch her and give her a heads up.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
WKU sells beer and they aren't exactly selling it out either. They had 2 championship games and neither sold out with a 20k capacity. I went to both.

Their environment and stadium atmosphere is far better than JRF. JRF feels like a funeral home and that is not just due to attendance issues. The athletic dept. has done a bad job of building synergy and making the stadium feel like an exciting place to watch a game.

Reactions: AustinLewis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT