ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Athlon - Conference USA Football 2016 Predictions

Wow, sort of surprising to see Athlon place MT at East 1. Not that I'm claiming to be an expert on the summer publications. IIRC Athlon has not been one of the mags to highly favor or fanboy for MT.

I'd have to say that I do see the MT prediction as reasonable expectations. Especially with OC Franklin with Brent & James, getting to 8 wins should be achievable.

Our problem is we only have 5 home games, Marshall has 7 home games. This is a huge swing. We will need to win some games on the road for this to be a solid season.

Reactions: C-Bow
While we have 5 home games, 2 of the toughest teams are at our house. LT and WKU.

Our CUSA road slate...

NT - 85% we win
FIU - 75% we win
Marshall - 45 - 50% (Will come down to the wire like last year)
Charlotte - 90% we win

Marshall is the linchpin to all of this of course. However, I do think about when we were at FIU in 2014. We were leading 21-10 Jordan Parker took the ball at FIU's 1 yard line and the train went off the rails from there. Still makes me cuss today. Hopefully, Franklin will call better plays than buster this year.

Dudes! why so grimm? Our offense is going to ROCK!!! this year. I predict 10 wins. There is no defense in C-USA that can stop our O. The only question marks in my mind are on the defense. Linebacker and safety to be exact which will be issues at Marshall and WKU but not Vandy or Missourri. We win two of those four and have a ten win season and possibly 11. We could run the table. Just throwing that out there but we will find one to choke on from past history. Absolutely no excuses this year. We have plenty of talent and depth on both lines of scrimmage. BRING IT ON!!!!

I'm fairly hopeful for the upcoming season. Really, I'm hopeful that MT football is embarking on a special journey over the next 2 or 3 seasons. As I've stated in other threads, I was fairly concerned about the near future of MT football until OC Franklin showed up on campus. Brent is an incredible QB. James an incredible offensive weapon. Now with Franklin on board to further develop them and the rest of the offense around them, there is potential for the offense to become scary good over the next few years. Other offseason encouraging factors, coaches seem to be recruiting better size for both the OL & DL, seemingly better recruiting success in MT's backyard, and higher quality offensive skill players seemed eager to come to MT to play.

There are some elements there to be optimistic about the offense. Interestingly, it seems C-USA teams making a run at the title tend to be offensive high output teams with hit or miss defense. It seems MT falls into this tendency this season. Replacing safeties and the linebacking corp seems to be the big task for the defense. The good news, the DL and corners seem like they just might be ok. I'm hoping DC Nix can show his abilities to find some replacements and get the defense to play hard and tough.

If those things can fall into place this season, MT could have a better season than many would expect. Even if everything doesn't fall into place perfectly, MT could still have a really good season by growing and improving over the course of the season.

I see a path of us going 6-2 in CUSA maybe 7-1 but 1-3 in OOC play. We have to find a way to win more than 6-7 games. If not now, then when?
Well I was just referring to finishing first in the east. They have the same amount of home conference games as we do. The 7 games at home doesn't mean much when conference games start. Fwiw I think candy and Missouri are both winnable. So is BG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT