ADVERTISEMENT

At 3-5, where do we go from here?

Raiderclyde

True Blue
May 1, 2012
With our second conference loss, what now can we take from this season? Bowl opportunities took a severe hit...have to win out make 7-5. And we have to defeat a very good Marshall team, which is increasingly looking less likely. What can we fix? Attendance? Thoughts?

I've seen my last game of this mess. WKU and this one today did it for me. I'm not gonna waste time or gas to watch them flop around against Marshall or North Texas. I bet Floyd will be a ghost town the rest of the season.

I'm done too. I can't stomach watching us get beat down again by Marshall in two weeks.

I wonder how many Marshall will bring? If I remember correctly, they usually bring a decent crowd (compared to other schools).

Could there be as many Marshall fans as MT fans?

Reactions: ToddMalone
Well the Marshall game is a loss. As I see it we will not have a winning record this year. IMO, injuries is just an excuse for this coaching staff. We just look like we're going through the motions and could care less whether we win or lose.

I truly believe we have good talent on this team but something has to be done with this coaching staff.

Reactions: bigbadjohn45
where do we go from here?

hiking, sailing, or cycling.
This time of year is prime for outdoor activities. (just be sure you're not too aggressive if you're sailing, otherwise you find yourself in some pretty cold water.)

Reactions: Predarat
Living 2.5 hours away and 1.5 hours from the nearest FBS school - I've got too much going on in my life to go above and beyond to watch unexciting football

Reactions: Predarat
I will be there, proudly wearing blue but I understand why you guys are checking out. Do what you have to do. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we beat Marshall. Even if we win out, we have lost the opportunity to grow our program this year.

For me, the tradition of going is more important to making memories for my kids. I checked out about 2 years ago after the Armed Services Bowl or whatever it was called. I have to speak with my wallet so I have been one of those that have turned into aluminum that last 3 or so years. My kids always ask when are we going and they get over it as soon as I pull out the bikes.

My budget doesn't include subsidizing this style of management or play.

I will be there, proudly wearing blue but I understand why you guys are checking out. Do what you have to do. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we beat Marshall. Even if we win out, we have lost the opportunity to grow our program this year.

Yep, I agree, even through the 4 straight losing seasons of mccollum I was tailgating and attending games. I'll be there the rest of the season, but I am not happy with how things have played out. Even with injuries, it doesn't excuse the turnovers, the penalties, or being out played, or out coached. The open date comes way too late this season. Maybe the injuries heal up and there's improved play the remainder of the season.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of season plays out. and I want to be there to see it, even if there is some element of rubbernecking, like viewing with morbid curiosity the aftermath of a multi-car pile up on the other side of the interstate. Hoping for the best, but 5-7 seems about the optimum the way the Raiders are playing.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
My interest level has dropped to zero.

I'll still check in here, and it's not my nature to actually root against the team, like some folks do, but I really have to say that I'm done with this staff and program until some changes are made.

There's simply no longer any light at the end of the tunnell.

Yep, I agree, even through the 4 straight losing seasons of mccollum I was tailgating and attending games. I'll be there the rest of the season, but I am not happy with how things have played out. Even with injuries, it doesn't excuse the turnovers, the penalties, or being out played, or out coached. The open date comes way too late this season. Maybe the injuries heal up and there's improved play the remainder of the season.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of season plays out. and I want to be there to see it, even if there is some element of rubbernecking, like viewing with morbid curiosity the aftermath of a multi-car pile up on the other side of the interstate. Hoping for the best, but 5-7 seems about the optimum the way the Raiders are playing.

My take on injuries is that there is a direct correlation between the won/loss record and "playing with / recovery from" injuries.

I will be there. I like college football. I like tailgating. I can't just decide I am a fan of another school so this is it for me. I am in for the long haul. Tickets and donations are already paid so there is no getting my money back. I was on a waiting list for years so I am not giving up my box. I am incredibly disappointed in this season but we can still meet my pre -season expectations of 7-8 wins. It seems highly unlikely but hopefully we take the bye week and regroup. If not I will be like Space and watch the train wreck. I am still not sure who to blame but Faulkner may have to fall on the sword if we don't get to 7 wins.

Here's a thought on the injuries - how many of them are the result (directly or indirectly) of playing guys bigger and faster than them (3 Power 5 schools this year)

Your statement is just not true...our guys are not that much smaller or slower than anyone, they may not be as good a player or have the best coaching but physically the difference are minuscule.

Our schedule included one really good team, the other two are not that different from us.

We have been playing big boy FB now for 16 years, injuries happen, but not because the other teams are bigger and faster.

Your statement is just not true...our guys are not that much smaller or slower than anyone, they may not be as good a player or have the best coaching but physically the difference are minuscule.

Our schedule included one really good team, the other two are not that different from us.

We have been playing big boy FB now for 16 years, injuries happen, but not because the other teams are bigger and faster.
FWIW, I wasn't saying it was true. Just some a thought on why MT has so many injury issues.

I'm actually split on the question. On one hand, MT should have the depth to endure an injury prone season. On the other hand, sport biomechanics would seem to support the statement that playing teams bigger, faster, and stronger than yours can increase the risk of injury.

Boots had a quip about playing the Nebraskas and Florida States (when we were 1-AA) to the extent that the players knew that they had to give their very best on each and every play and when you do that you tend not to get injured. Don't know if it applies today or if it was just one more Donnelly witty remark.

Boots had a quip about playing the Nebraskas and Florida States (when we were 1-AA) to the extent that the players knew that they had to give their very best on each and every play and when you do that you tend not to get injured. Don't know if it applies today or if it was just one more Donnelly witty remark.
Spot on.

A quick check on size of the OL/DL of LT, WKU, and MT:

MT OL: 302lbs
MT DL: 263lbs

WKU OL: 292lbs
WKU DL: 268lbs

LT OL: 300lbs
LT DL: 272lbs

We've got the biggest OL, and the smallest DL, but I don't think they're smaller by any significant amount.

For comparison's sake:

Alabama OL: 302lbs.
Alabama DL: 289lbs

Vandy OL: 307lbs
Vandy DL: 282lbs

It does appear we're undersized by SEC standards on the DL, but not so much on the OL.

And to be honest, I could buy the whole "We need more size/speed/whatever" if we were a rebuilding program. After 10 years, the rebuilding phase of this program should be long over.

FloydFaithful on twitter is a great follow, but they've made some comments recently about how "Stock's still building" and "MT is being out-sized/out-recruited".

We've got a team full of Stock recruits. If there's a talent/size/speed issue, especially with respect to our rivals, it's because Stock is failing at recruiting the players needed to compete at a high level in CUSA.

Programs that are in their 10th year under a coach should not be talent deficient compare to their rivals.

I've heard a similar statement from others. This, maybe more than the level of play, may be the reason for the injuries.

just please beat someone who were not supposed to beat... seriously any improvement would be nice...

if not i vote with Wiley and demand a change of culture... top to bottom give me a coach and staff that fears no team and plays the same way 100% of the time.

I want that OC from TCU... either of em.

Think that is what gets me the most is that MT is out of serious championship contention by mid October or fifth game of the season year in and year out. Some of us still think it's a major accomplishment when we win half of our games and get bowl eligible. That's a respectable goal in the first ten or twelve years, but were rapidly approaching twenty. No longer good enough. We already have college graduates who can have no real memories of our golden 1-AA days or our last outright championship. How much longer? We need another 10-20 years to not have a shared title? It's 30 since we had an undefeated regular season; may never see again in my life. We have to develop expectations that build on what we are doing/have done. We have to start getting to 8-4 as a minimum and being in the race into November. Maybe not winning it all every year/other year. But at least once a graduating class (3-5 years).

Think that is what gets me the most is that MT is out of serious championship contention by mid October or fifth game of the season year in and year out. Some of us still think it's a major accomplishment when we win half of our games and get bowl eligible. That's a respectable goal in the first ten or twelve years, but were rapidly approaching twenty. No longer good enough. We already have college graduates who can have no real memories of our golden 1-AA days or our last outright championship. How much longer? We need another 10-20 years to not have a shared title? It's 30 since we had an undefeated regular season; may never see again in my life. We have to develop expectations that build on what we are doing/have done. We have to start getting to 8-4 as a minimum and being in the race into November. Maybe not winning it all every year/other year. But at least once a graduating class (3-5 years).
You are spot on. And TeKE will crucify me for saying this but I have suffered through this same crap before with Tommy West in 9 long years at Memphis. The exact same thing. He had three >.500 regular seasons (8-3) in 2003, (8-3) in 2004 and (6-5) in 2005. He was 17-33 his last four years there. Tommy NEVER won a C-USA Championship and had the best running back in the history of the school. Weak opponents, padded wins and mediocre .500 seasons continually rewarded with contract extensions for being bowl eligible. I'm not gonna settle for that again.

This ship was on course in 2009 after beating the hell out of Southern Miss in New Orleans and I was excited. Since then, the wheels have come off and I think I have a very good understanding of why.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT