ADVERTISEMENT

Are we in?

MTCasey

Blue Raider
Jan 26, 2012
Rexrode’s piece made an interesting claim- that we should be safely in no matter what now.

Knowing that we wouldn’t have gotten an at-large last year, knowing we lack a signature win, knowing CUSA is improved but still a borderline 1-2 bid league, knowing the committee will contort itself into every possible shape to stuff P5s in the bracket at the expense of programs like ours...these things all make me skeptical.

And of course, I don’t want to be sitting there on Sunday holding my breath; I’d much rather leave no doubt.

That being said, it’s time to start the conversation. We’re ranked (but so was Murray a few years ago, IIRC), our metrics are good, we’re an obscene 12-1 in road games, our nonconference SOS was stout as always, and we have a bit of cache and reputation now. On the other hand, we narrowly missed what few chances we had at “signature” wins.

So what are our chances, folks? The Quadrant system seems like it might actually work in our favor this season. Anyone have updated Tier 1 W/L, Tier 2 W/L, etc for us? How are our opponents’ metrics looking? How soft is the bubble this season?

Let’s talk about it here...

I believe if we beat Marshall and don't have a bad loss in the CUSA tourney we are in...people know who we are. Look at Gonzaga...they are behind us in RPI but ahead in the rankings. While we don't have their success we are counted in those team that the committee is very familiar with. We have a resume.

But lets go get the CUSA banner!

I don't trust the clowns on the selection committee...

When it comes to the NCAA, P5, and greed & lust for money, I don't trust them either. As Kermit said, I don't know what else you can do at this point. Short of some sort of disaster, I think clearly MT has earned a slot at The Dance. If the committee were to be determined to screw you for a mediocre P5 team, what could you do? I think they are capable and have done that regardless of a team's resume. Still, I'm pretty confident if MT continued to win and stumbled in the conf tourney final. Losing in the qtr finals could give P5 biased committee members the excuse to leave MT out. Hopefully, MT can avoid that situation.

The good news, March Madness overall and the committee has shown some willingness over the years to be more inclusive of non-P5 programs if they have been one of the few who can breakthrough to the national stage. MT is getting pretty close to that status. Usually there is at least a Sweet Sixteen run or even further combined with several seasons of sustained success then there is almost an acceptance into that rarified air with the "elites" of college basketball. Again, this speaks to the brilliance of Kermit to achieve this level of success especially when so many of the "elites" are cheating in a corrupt and already horribly rigged system.

Recent years as March arrives, more than a few MT folks bring up the Murray St Top 25 snub. While I understand to some degree the rationale for such comparisons, I think those comparisons are inaccurate in the final analysis. I'm fairly convinced the Murray St snub was a reflection of "low major" conferences being virtually guaranteed to be one bid leagues. Maybe there might sometime be an exception if a low major team cracked the top 10 or something, but I can't think of any such teams from the low majors in recent history. Fortunately for MT, it is possible for at large bids from C-USA if there are exceptionally successful teams. Even the SunBelt still has occasional seasons of getting two in. In the end, I think the Murray St snub was more of an ovc snub than anything.

I think we are in.

Also, when we make it, be prepared for the storylines during and leading up to the first game: People will quickly remember who we are as repeated highight reels of 2016 will be replayed and replayed and replayed.

Just think what CUSA basketball would look like without ODU, WKU, and MT coming in? When Memphis left, we took the lead in a commanding way.

Off topic: Great wifi in the murph. Kudos there. I also found a parking area near the murph...never again will I be stuck at Greenland. Regarding capacity: I think they need to strongly consider keeping the size of the Murph near 10k when they create skyboxes. I don't know if they could build seating above the skyboxes and only extend them when needed but last night proved to me that the support is there. Maybe I'm wrong but create a baseline capacity and have temporary seating when needed. Maybe I'm wrong. Just a thought.

Reactions: dukewayne
JohnDavidBlue,

You are saying what I have long argued for. That is, I really don't want to see the capacity of The Murph substantially reduced. Part of that Murphy Magic is the huge packed crowd. It helps to bring all that extra electricity, energy, and noise to the game environment. Every game may not be a sellout, but it is one heck of a special place when the glass house is packed.

Food for thought, having the higher capacity is helping MT get to the top of the conf attendance race this year. Those larger numbers are helping to boost the average. Just sayin'

I think I could stomach The Murphy Center changes a lot better if there was at least some effort to retain the potential for good sized crowds. If capacity has to be reduced, I'm hoping it is a minimal or at most moderate reduction in seating. I, too, would like to see MT keep the Murph with 10,000 plus if possible. I must admit, I've pretty much accepted that some reduction will likely occur someday. Again, if the reduction in capacity isn't too drastic, it would help in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT