ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Another transfer

Cool. Decided their's no reason to be bothered about players who no longer like being here. Best wishes to King & all the rest.

When the original crop of five entered the portal a few weeks ago, I felt fine. The way I saw it, only two were main rotation guys out of eight I saw as worthy. Dishman graduates, so 2/7 rotation guys leaving for the portal felt "normal" for what to expect as far as this new era. I felt optimistic there were not going to be any more departures. I was wrong obviously.

Now we're at 3/7. Won't be surprised if that number grows.

I think the concern is warranted at this point. It is possible they can replace the outgoers with better incomers. Over a quarter of 4,700 kids that played D1 ball this past year have entered the transfer portal, obviously there is plenty available. The last time CNM lost >60% of his minutes that were eligible to return, he had his best season in five years. But even in these strange times, losing 60% of your minutes in two out of three seasons isn't exactly reassuring.

This is what college basketball is now. Will be rinse and repeat next year. Good players at G5 programs will leave for greener pastures (more NIL $$$). And players at P5 programs not getting the playing time and exposure they want, will go to a G5 program.

This terrible for college basketball. No continuity from one year to the next. It's worse than the NBA now at least they have contracts to keep them at a place for a few years.

Typically the portal has zero fan appeal due to the warranted fear factor, however it really separates the good coaches & recruiters from the poor. Last year there were a number of teams that had a nice year even with a multitude of new transfers. CNM basically had no need to prove his portal chops last year. Will be interesting to see what he does or doesn't come up with this fall.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Typically the portal has zero fan appeal due to the warranted fear factor, however it really separates the good coaches & recruiters from the poor. Last year there were a number of teams that had a nice year even with a multitude of new transfers. CNM basically had no need to prove his portal chops last year. Will be interesting to see what he does or doesn't come up with this fall.
To probably the surprise of no one, just saw the remaining Hayes sisters at MS St entered the portal.
I don’t think having/losing players in the portal is all doom & gloom. Kansas St, not exactly a blue blood, besides having a long time assistant as a 1st time HC, had 13 brand new player. They did pretty well. I believe I heard the LSU women had 9 new players on this years team. Just think it ultimately depends upon how well each teams coaches do their due diligence on kids they’re recruiting. I also think it puts even more premium on establishing relationships with high school kids, even if you feel they might be out of reach. Can maybe get them later if unhappy with PT, etc.

....I also think it puts even more premium on establishing relationships with high school kids, even if you feel they might be out of reach. Can maybe get them later if unhappy with PT, etc.
This right here. I've said before how important this is. That to me is going to be what separates the good coaches from the great. Finding the right balance of high schoolers and transfers, and keeping those relationships going even when you don't get those high schoolers. Grab them later in the portal.

Reactions: ewglenn
Just curious. With the current portal system, are players allowed to transfer multiple times without having to sit out a year? If not, wouldn't King (MSU) and the Hayes sisters (ND and MT) have to sit out a year since they have all already transferred once?

Just curious. With the current portal system, are players allowed to transfer multiple times without having to sit out a year? If not, wouldn't King (MSU) and the Hayes sisters (ND and MT) have to sit out a year since they have all already transferred once?
Didn't King sit out a year when he transferred here? I also think it was before the one time transfer rule was passed and there may be something in there that allows them a one time transfer without sitting. Either way I hope King and Lawrence realize what we could have here next season and stay.

Reactions: MTFAN61
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT