ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Another series win!

Curious why MT had never been able to become a top tier mid major baseball school? We’re in the south, great location, pretty nice facilities (saying a lot coming from our university) and plenty of talent within a 2 hour drive. I was looking at past seasons and there are some regional appearances but nothing looks sustained. Interested to see the responses.

We were a top tier mid major school with Coach Stanford and Coach Pete. We have been ranked in the Top 25, but has been 2 decades now. I want to say the last time we were ranked was maybe '02 early in the season.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
We had very good clubs in 90, 01 & 09. I’m still bitter about that 01 regional in Knoxville. We were better than a 3-seed, but some how ended up playing Tennessee as a 2-seed in Knoxville. Once Chris Burke got that RBI and we lost 2-1, we had nothing for the Wake Forest.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
2001 was one of the most talented squads we ever had. We were so much better than a 3 seed.

I traveled with the team for the '03 regional in Stark Vegas. Watching Coach Pete hold court with the media was worth the trip. All the beat writers had asked their canned questions, turned off their recorders, then he just went in to story time. Every reporter turned their tape recorder back on. Coach Pete was MT baseball.

2004 was our last at-large bid with the Athens regional. We had to be the last team in.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Why has there been such a huge drop off? I wasn’t happy with the .500 record but after seeing the past few years I’m understanding the optimism around the program this year.

Last .500 season was 2018 we went 27-27-1. Last winning season was 2015 we went 32-27

Last .500 season was 2018 we went 27-27-1. Last winning season was 2015 we went 32-27
IMO, Tim Corbin and Matt Bragga arriving on the scene hurt us in the mid-state recruiting. Lipscomb moved to D1 in 2001 and Belmont in the mid-90s, which gave us more competition for mid-state recruiting.

Add to that, Mags gave mediocre results following Pete, even if he was a really good guy. We now have 2 instate monster programs to compete with for great players.

We should be better than we are, but we have way more competition now than we did 30 years ago.

We have been playing well as of late but man we dug ourselves a hole at the beginning of the year.

Reactions: ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT