ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL And so it begins.....

Nothing we can do about it, so nothing to worry about. We'll end up where we end up.

If that upper division is small enough (say, 30 teams), we can still have a healthy college football subdivision.

What's funny (or heartbreaking depending on where you sit) is that all those teams that invested crazy heavily to try and make the cut (looking at teams like Cincy, UCF, UAB, etc) are going end up right back in the crab bucket with us dregs.

Nothing we can do about it, so nothing to worry about. We'll end up where we end up.

If that upper division is small enough (say, 30 teams), we can still have a healthy college football subdivision.

What's funny (or heartbreaking depending on where you sit) is that all those teams that invested crazy heavily to try and make the cut (looking at teams like Cincy, UCF, UAB, etc) are going end up right back in the crab bucket with us dregs.
You bring up a good point.

If the top 30-40 teams break away (aka the UTK, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc), it creates a subdivision that MT CAN compete with (financially, on & off the field) at some point.

What does the subdivision look like & what relationship will / would it have with the upper division? And what about those BIG10 / SEC / ACC schools that don't have the $$$ to compete (Wake Forest, Vandy, etc). That's an interesting question to answer (for me).

Reactions: coachchia
You bring up a good point.

If the top 30-40 teams break away (aka the UTK, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc), it creates a subdivision that MT CAN compete with (financially, on & off the field) at some point.

What does the subdivision look like & what relationship will / would it have with the upper division? And what about those BIG10 / SEC / ACC schools that don't have the $$$ to compete (Wake Forest, Vandy, etc). That's an interesting question to answer (for me).
Way too many moving parts and unknowns at this point.

The only thing I'm 100% confident of is the fact that the big money programs will break away. Into what is the question.

I really can't see there being anything that stops this from evolving into what's essentially a MLB model where there's no real parity. But worse, because there's no real mechanisms to at least keep some teams at least theoretically competitive (i.e. draft, roster limits, etc).

There's no way that a program like Texas (225 million) or Ohio State (251 million) is going to allow itself to be hamstrung by someone like Georgia Tech (106 million).

Even if you took the top 30 programs, there's a 120 million dollar difference between Ohio State and Ole Miss (133 million) in revenue.

If you're not in the top 5 in revenue, I don't see how you can stay competitive. And that includes mega-money programs like Tennessee - there's a 100 million dollar difference between Ohio State and Tennessee. What's to stop Ohio State from using that extra 100 mil to plunder every good player off Tennessee's roster every year like the P5 does to the G5? If you're Mississippi State or Purdue, you're 100% f****d if you make the cut.

Meanwhile, we can exist in a smaller division, with 'ships, bowls, maybe even a natty tournament.

The dream of playing with the Alabama's and Ohio State's might be dead, but ironically, we might find ourselves a heck of a lot closer to a meaningful national title with teams like a Georgia Tech or Kansas or someone like that than we are today.

Reactions: AustinLewis
The dream of playing with the Alabama's and Ohio State's might be dead, but ironically, we might find ourselves a heck of a lot closer to a meaningful national title with teams like a Georgia Tech or Kansas or someone like that than we are today.
This right here is it. I used to be worried. Now that I've looked a budgets as said above, NIL has changed, and the NCAA has grown weaker, this actually could be a good thing.

Zero doubt that eventually the P2 will split. How, who knows. But it'll happen. And as Austin said, some will be left out too.

I think it'll give us a better chance at a bigger prize. Makes me honestly kind of excited rather than worried. We don't even hit $1m a year now in media money and that won't change. There still will be a market for us and if some of the lower current Power schools join us, it'll just help.

I honestly give it 5yrs. At most.

"But for now, there is nothing binding the 10 FBS leagues together beyond 2025 — a note that the CFP’s most powerful leaders are well aware of.

'We don’t know as a group what the CFP structure looks like from 2026 and beyond,' Sankey (SEC commissioner said)."

well time for the east coast G5 leagues to get regional and some of the better FCS leagues get ready to move on up and have that good 100 team division without the Power 3 maybe 4. It's no use and trying to chase something that you can't afford like the football factories. SBC, MAC, AAC, CUSA, MWC, parts of the CAA, MVFC , Big sky and UAC make the 2nd tier

It’s always been this way. It’s just that the mask is coming off.

It’s all about the student athletes, right? 😆

That’s the way it SHOULD be.

There’s no reason for MT to fly over multiple G5 schools on the way to UTEP / SHSU. Regionalize as much as possible.

It won’t happen (ego, past experiences, etc).
Just gotta hope after 2-3 years of their pocket books getting drained and probably even red in many cases, they put all that aside for the betterment of their programs. But as my Grandpa used to say, put out two hands, hope in one, piss in the other and see which hand fills faster.

Reactions: MTTim
The SBC is already mostly regionalized. They don't need to make any changes and probably enjoy watching MTSU/WKU burn fuel and money travelling all over the south and west.

AAC on the other hand is going to have to do some serious soul searching.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
The SBC is already mostly regionalized. They don't need to make any changes and probably enjoy watching MTSU/WKU burn fuel and money travelling all over the south and west.

SBC goes from San Marcs, TX to Harrisburg, VA Same footprint as CUSA

I consider 400 miles to be cut off for bus vs flying. For MT it's probably more like 500, but I digress.

ODU to Texas St is 1,334 miles.
Delaware to NMSU is 1800 miles.

The mid-point as the crow flies between ODU and TSU is Birmingham, AL. Ten of the current members of the SBC are within 400 mile radius of that midpoint. And Coastal Carolina is close at 500.

The mid-point for C-USA is just northeast of Little Rock, AR. Five current C-USA members are within a 400 mile radius though - like Costal - Kennesaw is close.

This point is to indicate how much tighter knit the geography of the SBC is. It's tighter both in terms of distance between furthest outlier teams and also in number of teams in closer proximity to one another.

Another way we could look at this is direct impact on MT. Tossing western out since we're probably with them no matter what league we're in...

We're within 400 miles of 10 SBC members and only two in C-USA excluding wkcc.

At 500 miles, we're within 12 of 14 (86%) SBC members (only ODU and Texas State outside that limit).
At 500 miles, we're within 4 of 10 (40%) C-USA members. So, more than double the number of SBC teams are within 500 miles of the Boro.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
SBC goes from San Marcs, TX to Harrisburg, VA Same footprint as CUSA

This is a mischaracterization.

...i was typing essentially what MT01 just posted regarding distances so I shortened this ....

The big factor is the SBC still has divisions. The East is all within 600 miles, West 800. So at most they have 2 conference games over that.

As said, we only have 3 teams within 500 miles of us, 4 within 600. Out of 10 other teams.

What should happen in my book is however the conferences are left once the P2 split (and they will), they create one board and then negotiate one giant media deal across multiple networks. Then regionalize the conferences and away we go with a playoff and champ. Essentially making the conferences divisions in one league. In other words, the rumors of what the B12/ACC/P12 are talking about doing.

Bit of news to add to this. USC case is expected to have same result. Many are saying this is different than Northwestern's attempt 9yrs ago (and the court ruling acknowledges that)

NLRB are only allowed to comment on Private Institutions. So this may have a tough time with the public schools

NLRB are only allowed to comment on Private Institutions. So this may have a tough time with the public schools
Apparently that's where the USC case comes in. That case involves the students being employees of the conference, which then would apply to public schools.

This is all so stupid but also the NCAA's fault. Big time lack of foresight.

Even before the O'Bannon case was filed (and certainly after) they should have set up a trust that would pay athletes x amount based on a defensible formula in court following their graduation. It would have preserved the integrity of amateurism while also compensating them for things like use of their name, image, and likeness while they were in school.

I can't wait til we have fourth graders that are trying to claim NIL deals because their pee wee football team is good. This; however, is in line with the broader insanity and degradation/deconstruction of societal integrity that has swept across this nation over the past few years.

Reactions: MTTim
That soul searching needs to include a call to MT. Nashville market and a big alumni base is there for you.

AAC > CUSA

This is all so stupid but also the NCAA's fault. Big time lack of foresight.

Even before the O'Bannon case was filed (and certainly after) they should have set up a trust that would pay athletes x amount based on a defensible formula in court following their graduation. It would have preserved the integrity of amateurism while also compensating them for things like use of their name, image, and likeness while they were in school.

I can't wait til we have fourth graders that are trying to claim NIL deals because their pee wee football team is good. This; however, is in line with the broader insanity and degradation/deconstruction of societal integrity that has swept across this nation over the past few years.
It started in the mid-80's. We called it the wussification of America.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT