ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL 3 Pt Line

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
I knew they were toying with the idea of moving the 3 pt line as just about every off-season College Basketball seems to like to experiment and moves lines on the court.

Despite knowing they were toying with the idea, it must have escaped my attention this off-season that they did in fact move back the 3 pt line to Euro or international standards.

While it obviously is too early to tell how MT will handle the longer three, I'm fairly optimistic for this MT team coping fairly well with the new change. CNM seems to specialize in those longer, stronger, athletic, and versatile players who can shoot the ball really well from further out.

I think moving the three point line will benefit teams that have players that can drive to the basket and finish at the rim. Moving the three point point line back will spread the defenses out allowing more penetration. I don't know if we have any players on the roster that are good drivers, so I don't know if it will help us as much this season. Bruce Massey and Marcus Knight were the type of players that were good at that.

I think moving the three point line will benefit teams that have players that can drive to the basket and finish at the rim. Moving the three point point line back will spread the defenses out allowing more penetration. I don't know if we have any players on the roster that are good drivers, so I don't know if it will help us as much this season. Bruce Massey and Marcus Knight were the type of players that were good at that.

It could potentially have the opposite effect, depending on how shooters adjust to the new distance. If there aren’t multiple 3-point threats on the floor at the same time, the defense can actually sag in the paint even more in order to cut off those driving lanes, because they won’t fear the 3-point shot as much. I think 3-point percentages will dip overall this year and then level back out over the next three or four seasons.

It could potentially have the opposite effect, depending on how shooters adjust to the new distance. If there aren’t multiple 3-point threats on the floor at the same time, the defense can actually sag in the paint even more in order to cut off those driving lanes, because they won’t fear the 3-point shot as much. I think 3-point percentages will dip overall this year and then level back out over the next three or four seasons.

From what I recently read, that is exactly what happened with the 3pt% the last time they moved the line. It went down slightly then gradually returned after a few seasons.

You also only looked at it from one side. On the other side, it means a Nick McDevitt defense will foul more - a lot more.

I don't see many D1 college defenses abandoning guarding the three point line. Most are trying too push you off the line.

You also only looked at it from one side. On the other side, it means a Nick McDevitt defense will foul more - a lot more.

You could be right. It will be interesting to see what happens. In reality I bet we barely notice a difference.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT