ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Portal Shopping

Confirming how many scholarships for next year. Was under the impression we had 2 spots, but with Whitson & Wheeler leaving plus 2 more in the portal that gives 4 departures. Of course Davis coming is an automatic addition. So am I correct in now thinking we have 3 available additions for next year's team?
College Basketball Scholarships aren’t exactly 1 to 1. NCAA allows 13 full scholarship players per program. Assuming everyone on roster has a full-ride, that would mean we have 1 full scholarships left (11 players on roster plus 1 signed). As I’m sure you well know, not everyone on roster is full scholarship so they could play with that number more depending on how they can stretch that number with academic scholarships, etc.

My best guess is that they will want to add 2 more bodies this season via the portal. You may even add a 3rd with a large(r than usual) graduating class coming up.

Reactions: MTFAN61

Awesome commitment. She's gonna be good.

Looking forward to seeing how our portal excursions go.

Throwing together a list I've been working on since the portal opened of more names I like, some maybes, and some long shots:

Names that I like:
Elina Arike
, 6'2" F, Sr. Texas Tech
-Prior to '23 she played at 3 seasons at UTEP and was named CUSA Defensive Player of the Year in '23
-Lots of familiarity with MTSU and fits the playing style.
-Started 5 games for TTU, averaged 3.7 points, 2 rebounds (avg 12 points, 5 reb, 2 ast Jr. season at UTEP)

Elle Evans, 6'3" G, Soph. North Dakota State
-Started all 34 games for NDSU (22-12, 2nd place Summit), averaged 15.5 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 2.1 assists
-Her statline would indicate she can do it all and she does. Shoots 47.5% from the field including 45.7% clip from three (5th in the country) while making 2.2 per contest.
-Good balance of size, ball handling, vision, scoring threat, and 3 more years of eligibility

Denim Deshields, 5'5" G, Soph. UAB
-Another familiar name on the list, All-CUSA Freshman member two seasons ago
-Averaged 13.4 points/game and 5.3 assists/game matches the true-PG the Raiders are looking to instantly plug in
-Growing up in nearby Atlanta, mom and sister both played at Tennessee

Alexis Mead, 5'5" G, Jr. Western Kentucky
-Tough sell - but her statline is intriguing. 11 points, 4.1 rebounds, 4.1 assists.
-She's quick off the dribble, great passer (plus A/TO), and an average deep threat (33% from deep in her career)
-Got into a little in-game spat in the contest in Murfreesboro, but she has the competitive mentality that would plug in well and knows the CUSA landscape.

Caitlin Weimar, 6'4" F, Sr. Boston U
-31st in the country in shooting percentage (55%) with a big frame and guaranteed nightly double-double (18.7 points, 10.6 rebounds)
-Good ball handler (for a big) and has knack on the defensive side with 88 blocks and 39 steals in '24.

Gracie Merkle, 6'6" C, Soph. Bellarmine
-Mentioned her in a previous thread, great all-around player and would have immediate impact with her size
-Coming off an injury in '23-'24, but scored 15.1 points, 11 rebounds in her Freshman/Defensive POY first season

McKinley Brooks-Sumpter, 5'7" G, Sr. UNC-Asheville
-Averaging nearly 15 points/game in her senior season, Brooks-Sumpter gets a lot of scoring done inside the arc and at the free throw line.
-Strong efforts on the glass averaging 6.9 rebounds/game, and has good assist numbers with 2.8 assists/game
-Not a threat from deep (6-of-30 from 3 last season) and turnovers a little high for my taste (3 TO/game).

Other names to keep an eye on:
Jayden Marable
, 5'6" G, Sr. Northern Illinois
Makayla Andrews, 5'10" G Sr. Lafayette
Alexsia Rose, 5'7" G Sr. UMass
Khamari Mitchell-Steen, 5'7" G Jr. Northern Kentucky
Joiya Maddox, 6'0" G Sr. Chattanooga
Emma Theodorsson, 6'1" F Soph. Bucknell
Alexis Whitfield, 6'2" F Sr. UC-Santa Barbara
Jazion Jackson, 5'9" G Sr. Texas Tech
-transferred to TTU from UTEP
Caroline Lyles, 6'0" G Soph. Tulsa
-offered out of HS
Jane Nwaba, 5’10" F Sr. Pepperdine
Laniah Randle, 5'11" F Jr. Southern Illinois

P5's that could realistically fall through:
Janae Walker
, 6'4" F Fr. Kentucky
Bailey Gilmore, 6'3" F Fr. Vanderbilt
Gabby Hutcherson, 6'2" F Sr. Pittsburgh
Cameron Williams, 6'3" F Sr. Michigan
Alyssa Latham, 6'2" F Fr. Syracuse
Malea Williams, 6'4" F Sr. Cincinnati
Zoesha Smith, 6'1" F Sr. Georgia

Longshots:
Kaylene Smikle
, 6’0" G Soph. Rutgers
Maddie Scherr, 5’11" G Sr. Kentucky
-Offered out of HS
Terren Ward, 5’11" G Sr. Georgia Southern
Taliah Scott, 5’9" G Fr. Arkansas
Hailey Van Lith, 5'7" G Sr. LSU

Once again, nice work Jake. Definitely a lot of talent out there. Very intrigued by Caitlin Weimar, excellent size & stats. Like her size at forward, would have thought she would be listed as a 5. Looking forward to see what Matt adds to our lineup in the near future.

Evans from NDSU would be a tremendous addition, with size and skill. A good slide in to fill Courtney Whitson’s place but even bigger and more versatile, arguably, even if she’s not the same kind of leader off the bat.

Evans from NDSU would be a tremendous addition, with size and skill. A good slide in to fill Courtney Whitson’s place but even bigger and more versatile, arguably, even if she’s not the same kind of leader off the bat.
Matt Insell following her on Twitter... Most of the ones listed in your summary are in fact followed by at least 1 member of the staff!

Reactions: tyler90wm
College Basketball Scholarships aren’t exactly 1 to 1. NCAA allows 13 full scholarship players per program. Assuming everyone on roster has a full-ride, that would mean we have 1 full scholarships left (11 players on roster plus 1 signed). As I’m sure you well know, not everyone on roster is full scholarship so they could play with that number more depending on how they can stretch that number with academic scholarships, etc.

My best guess is that they will want to add 2 more bodies this season via the portal. You may even add a 3rd with a large(r than usual) graduating class coming up.
Women get 15 scholarships, men get 13.

Impressive high school biography. Averaged almost 16 ppg senior year. Naismith All-American honorable mention. #15 player in the state. 81-8 record as a starter at Blackman. At 6' 1" nice size as wing.
Apparently played very little at Purdue her freshman year, 0.6 ppg

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Interesting. Belmont was returning practically all their production, losing their leading scorer would certainly hurt.

She'd definitely be more of a traditional 4, only attempted 18 3's the whole year, not sure it's a great fit playing alongside Boldyreva

Impressive high school biography. Averaged almost 16 ppg senior year. Naismith All-American honorable mention. #15 player in the state. 81-8 record as a starter at Blackman. At 6' 1" nice size as wing.
Apparently played very little at Purdue her freshman year, 0.6 ppg
Any player that comes from Blackman is going to be tough, tenacious and smart. Monson is no different. Hard to carve out meaningful playing time in that league as a freshman

Interesting. Belmont was returning practically all their production, losing their leading scorer would certainly hurt.

She'd definitely be more of a traditional 4, only attempted 18 3's the whole year, not sure it's a great fit playing alongside Boldyreva
Belmont is losing a whole to the portal, men and I guess women as well. Not a fan, so I am looking forward to quality schadenfreude next season.

In Conference USA news, UTEP's D'Arrah Allen enters the transfer portal. That is now 7 Lady Miners currently in the portal including Mariama Sow already committed to Western Kentucky.

• Wow
Belmont is losing a whole to the portal, men and I guess women as well. Not a fan, so I am looking forward to quality schadenfreude next season.
I knew the men were, Miller is the first one for the girls far as I can tell. They were going to be returning their whole roster, so could be she's just kicking the tires on what opportunities she can get.

I've always had a favorable opinion of Belmont so I don't mind rooting for them when they aren't playing Middle. I'm sure that's an unpopular opinion

In Conference USA news, UTEP's D'Arrah Allen enters the transfer portal. That is now 7 Lady Miners currently in the portal including Mariama Sow already committed to Western Kentucky.
Wow, that's a ton of turnover. Glad we've only got the 2 in the portal so far, given how the college sports landscape has changed in recent years.

Wow, that's a ton of turnover. Glad we've only got the 2 in the portal so far, given how the college sports landscape has changed in recent years.
I think part of that has something to do with the fact that half our roster is international. They can't cash in on NIL. There are a few on the roster I figured would transfer but haven't so something to be said for creating a culture that players want to stay in

Remember her from UTEP the year before. And she gave us fits. Didn’t seem to do a lot at TTU.

Nice one two punch at forward with Scott & Arike now. Scott will be quicker with higher scoring potential, but Arike will provide a strong physicality down low. 3 Excellent shot blockers now with Boldyreva, Scott, & Arike! That can make for a tough 3 headed monster for when coaches want to have all 3 on the floor together.
I see Arike as an excellent replacement more so for Whitson than Iullia.
As I think about it we still should be in good shape at the 5 spot. Grannum was pretty impressive as an emergency player in the tournament, & understand Mason made excellent steps forward during her red shirt last year. Even at that we still have a few more openings. Plenty of opportunity for another big, but still want that point guard to back up Jada.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT