ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Portal Shopping

You’ve got Baugus and/or Phifer in ‘25 that have that ability. Also have those 3 class of ‘25 offers out to centers in HS that would fill that gap you’re talking about. I agree, someone would need to develop and fill that gap because Evans isn’t a forward despite her height.
True, I just dont like relying on true freshmen to contribute, it's such a wild card. Bewteen the two, I'd prefer Phifer as the forward, feels like her accomplishments as a dual sport star maker her ideal at forward.

Given the track record of this staff at developing talent, everything will probably sort itself out

Evans would be fantastic.

Just saw Denim DeShields has committed to MS State…

Evans would be fantastic.

Just saw Denim DeShields has committed to MS State…
Surprised Evans hasn't transferred somewhere as of yet. Been in portal since 04-04. I agree she would be a tremendous get.

I still think we need another point guard. I'd like to see us get Sydney Freeman (Dayton) or Kyla Deck (Stephen F Austin). I also think we need another big.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Mia Moore out of UAB just entered the portal (formerly of Mississippi St.) a 5’6” PG (UAB started 2 true PG’s last year). She’s the latest I’ve added to my wishlist. Here is a link where you can view last year’s stats.

Weird circumstances with Deshields going to Mississippi State and then Moore entering with a day left. Could be something brewing!

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Funny thing is she would have got more playing time at Middle than she ever did at Arizona. I'm grateful for her contributions but I'd rather CRI look elsewhere.

Much as I hate to say it, I think Alexis Mead is an ideal fit if they are going to make any more additions through the portal

Reactions: jakeboldenbrp
Funny thing is she would have got more playing time at Middle than she ever did at Arizona. I'm grateful for her contributions but I'd rather CRI look elsewhere.

Much as I hate to say it, I think Alexis Mead is an ideal fit if they are going to make any more additions through the portal
They want a point guard with no more than 2 years of eligibility remaining. That’s my guess.

They want a point guard with no more than 2 years of eligibility remaining. That’s my guess.
Which is fine by me, I wouldn't want to see Harrison playing 30 min/pg or more to start the season. In a perfect world, Hamby could give them 10-12 off the bench, not sure if she's ready though.

A little interesting none of Middle's portal entrants have found a home yet

I wouldn’t mind Blakely coming back. Give Harrison 20-25 minutes at point while recovering. Give Blakely the other 15-20 at point. I know she had some difficulty at Arizona, but she probably had some excellent developmental time as well. Think she would fit back perfectly well if she & our coaches so desired.

I wouldn’t mind Blakely coming back. Give Harrison 20-25 minutes at point while recovering. Give Blakely the other 15-20 at point. I know she had some difficulty at Arizona, but she probably had some excellent developmental time as well. Think she would fit back perfectly well if she & our coaches so desired.
I think we need to find an experienced starting point guard ASAP. I don’t think that Harrison is going to be much help at this point, and starting a freshman scares me. Harrison was still wearing a boot at the Blue Raiders Choice Awards. I wish I knew more about her injury (anyone?). She’s been out of basketball for a loooong time. I hope I’m wrong and she can get fit/conditioned by November, but I’m very pessimistic. I wish I knew more about the type of injury she has/had, 11 months is a long time to be in a boot. Courtney would be the perfect replacement. Players have returned to the program they left, but it is extremely rare.

I think we need to find an experienced starting point guard ASAP. I don’t think that Harrison is going to be much help at this point, and starting a freshman scares me. Harrison was still wearing a boot at the Blue Raiders Choice Awards. I wish I knew more about her injury (anyone?). She’s been out of basketball for a loooong time. I hope I’m wrong and she can get fit/conditioned by November, but I’m very pessimistic. I wish I knew more about the type of injury she has/had, 11 months is a long time to be in a boot. Courtney would be the perfect replacement. Players have returned to the program they left, but it is extremely rare.
In total agreement. If not Blakely fine, but an added quality pg seems paramount at this time. I imagine if we feel this way it would likely hold water for the coaches as well. Somewhat expected another player or 2 to have been added to the roster by now, but things seemed to have settled down a bit in the last week. Now that the portal has closed player availability may open up a bit for those still without a home. As mentioned earlier I'm kind of surprised all of the MT opt outs are apparently still in the portal without finding a home yet. I would have thought Iullia would have found a home within the 1st week of signing into portal. Wonder if she changed her mind if coaches & players would like her back on the roster? I never heard of any disgruntlement prior to her entering portal.

Updated look at point guards still in the portal that I think MTSU should have interest in. If you're going to get a PG they would need to have no more than 2 years of eligibility remaining, be a proven scorer (especially from 3), positive A/TO, and lots of minutes played. In order of best available (in my opinion):

Courtney Blakely, 5'8" G, Jr. - Arizona
-5.0 ppg, 39% from 3 (on 31 attempts), 1.2 A/TO, 17.4 min/g in 29 games
-Familiarity tops this list

Cara McCormack, 5'3" G, Sr. - Holy Cross
-10.9 ppg, 33% from 3 (on 206 attempts), 1.24 A/TO, 31.5 min/g in 34 games

Johanna Teder, 5'8" G, Sr. - Washington State
-Missed '23-'24 with injury
-'22-'23 stats: 1.9 ppg, 35% from 3 (on 171 attempts), 1.5 A/TO, 26.9 min/g in 34 games

Faith Alston, 5'7" G, Sr. - Appalachian State
-18.3 ppg, 29% from 3 (on 172 attempts), 1.1 A/TO, 34.3 min/g in 32 games

Jessica Tomasetti, 5'5" G, Sr. - Mount St. Mary's
-13.5 ppg, 32% from 3 (on 128 attempts), 0.98 A/TO, 34.5 min/g in 31 games

Alexsia Rose, 5'7" G, Sr. - UMass
-11.4 ppg, 27% from 3 (on 44 attempts), 1.3 A/TO, 28.6 min/g in 20 games

Kaya Ingram, 5'8" G, Sr. - Cornell (unknown if she will play her grad season)
-10.5 ppg, 22% from 3 (on 41 attempts), 0.98 A/TO, 30.5 min/g in 26 games

Mia 'Uhila, 5'8" G, Jr. - Portland State
-8.5 ppg, 33% from 3 (on 82 attempts), 0.91 A/TO, 30.7 min/g in 31 games

Updated look at point guards still in the portal that I think MTSU should have interest in. If you're going to get a PG they would need to have no more than 2 years of eligibility remaining, be a proven scorer (especially from 3), positive A/TO, and lots of minutes played. In order of best available (in my opinion):

-'22-'23 stats: 1.9 ppg, 35% from 3 (on 171 attempts), 1.5 A/TO, 26.9 min/g in 34 games

I'll take CAB in a minute; the girl is all this team needs to be really good. With her I think we are 10 deep. Blakley and Harrison would be a two headed monster at point.

Faith Alston off the board. Just committed to Richmond.
On CMI's wgns interview he stated MT plans on signing a pg in the next week. Any thoughts the player he's been speaking with is listed above?

Faith Alston off the board. Just committed to Richmond.
On CMI's wgns interview he stated MT plans on signing a pg in the next week. Any thoughts the player he's been speaking with is listed above?
I’m sure they’ve hit the PGs hard, pretty confident it’ll be off that list—especially Blakely. I’d find it hard to believe Blakely entered the portal at the 12th hour without a landing spot in mind. Just feels like a smart move for both parties.

I’m sure they’ve hit the PGs hard, pretty confident it’ll be off that list—especially Blakely. I’d find it hard to believe Blakely entered the portal at the 12th hour without a landing spot in mind. Just feels like a smart move for both parties.
Based on Matt’s radio show comments I would be surprised if the PG we sign is Blakely. Could still be her but I get the feeling it’s not.

Reactions: Tomorrow299
Based on Matt’s radio show comments I would be surprised if the PG we sign is Blakely. Could still be her but I get the feeling it’s not.
Tendency to agree with you. When CMI said the player requested 1 on 1 training even if it entailed early mornings prior to 1st class. First off who can't appreciate that motivation. But to me it doesn't sound like something a lot of experienced upcoming seniors would be saying. Sounds more like a comment from someone with 2 or more years of eligibility remaining, & seeking to develop a better understanding of what's expected of a new point guard here at MT.
CAB is an upcoming senior with lots of playing time already in here at MT & Arizona. Hope I'm wrong because would love to see her back in the 'Boro. Anyway we definitely need a quality pg, & hope whoever it is works out. A quality back up to Jada does nothing but make MT a more formidable team this upcoming season.

Tendency to agree with you. When CMI said the player requested 1 on 1 training even if it entailed early mornings prior to 1st class. First off who can't appreciate that motivation. But to me it doesn't sound like something a lot of experienced upcoming seniors would be saying. Sounds more like a comment from someone with 2 or more years of eligibility remaining, & seeking to develop a better understanding of what's expected of a new point guard here at MT.
CAB is an upcoming senior with lots of playing time already in here at MT & Arizona. Hope I'm wrong because would love to see her back in the 'Boro. Anyway we definitely need a quality pg, & hope whoever it is works out. A quality back up to Jada does nothing but make MT a more formidable team this upcoming season.
CMI stated that player we’re signing (hopefully), is a senior PG. I hope it wasn’t Alston and that the player mentioned is still in the pipeline.

Great news! Glad to have Courtney back. We have the makings of a very solid team from top to bottom now. Whether at center, forward, guard, or point guard we should be very solid again.
With Blakely on board this definitely gives Harrison an opportunity to develop without placing too much pressure on her recovery. With the talent brought on board this spring may turn out to be one of MT's best classes!

Hated to see her leave in the first place. Happy she has returned. MT WBB is going to be a lot of fun to watch the next several seasons. I hope whoever is responsible for Boldyreva's significant improvement got a raise for that! She is SO much better now than she was when she got here.

Last year's home attendance average was right at 4,000 per game. With what we have coming back & have now added on we should eclipse that by 500 maybe 750/game.
Hope we get that USC game coach brought up earlier in the year. I wouldn't mind a 2 for 1 at all. Would be an extremely tall task to ask for a victory in LA, but with the quality depth we have now I think we could play them a good game.

I couldn’t be more excited! This is incredible, I was literally sick when she left the program. I watched a lot of her games this year and you could just tell that the wind had been knocked out of her sails, still good, but Adia Barnes coaching style isn’t my favorite and didn’t seem to instill confidence in CAB. This is the best news and PG I could have hoped for, we are going to be VERY good this year!

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised to hear this news because she was the one that I always said if she could come back, that would be just the cherry on top of what they needed. To be honest, I didn’t really expect it was possible, but for this to be happening is just incredible news. She was definitely under utilized at Arizona and the type of player has the drive she has is going to fit in extremely well. Matt said the player that was coming in had one request for him and that was to have daily one on one workouts before class to work on the things she needed to work on… that’s the kind of player she is and we’re getting back. Just over the moon honestly with this!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT