ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Would Nashville support a MLB club?

I was thinking the same metro, not exactly the same city.

One part of the minor league reorg was to bring more affiliates closer to the parent club. Having the AAA or single A club close (<2 hours) is seen as a positive. Maybe not the same city, but same general metro area.

Truth is, it’s a way to get people (money) that you normally wouldn’t. I’ve been to 3 Braves games in the time I have lived in the ATL. I have been to ~20 Striper games.

The effort, cost and time to drive over to Truist for my family of 4 just isn’t worth it to me versus the 10-15 minute drive to the cheaper Striper game. And if the Stripers weren’t here, I doubt I would have gone to more Braves games. I would find something else to do.

Who knows, at least 6 cities think they are getting a MLB. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Disclaimer : I am NOT a baseball expert.

But wouldn't the location of the farm team(s) for Nashville MLB teams depend on if it's a relocation or expansion?

On another note, like baseball or hate baseball, MLB to Nashville will probably make it harder for MT to pull corporate $$$ & casual fans.

But wouldn't the location of the farm team(s) for Nashville MLB teams depend on if it's a relocation or expansion?
I wouldn't think so, no. Because the Sounds are the AAA farm team for the Milwaukee Brewers. So that affiliation would have to end for an MLB Nashville franchise to want to place their respective farm team in our area.

And a relocating franchise would mean the existing affiliates would stay in place, e.g. Tampa Rays become Nashville Stars. The AAA Durham Bulls are the affiliate, and I don't see any reason that would change in the immediate. Unless somehow the two franchises come to some sort of agreement, where only rosters, management, ownership, etc. changes, and everything else stays the same.

But I think I do see your point, expansion would mean there would also be a NEW farm system in which new affiliate teams would come about. But an MLB team and a AAA team existing in the same greater downtown loop is hard to imagine, regardless of affiliation.

Reactions: AustinLewis
The Daily News Journal & mayor Shane McFarland have just announced Murfreesboro has been approached by a group of investors to bring a AA franchise to downtown Murfreesboro. They desire to build on the "bottoms" area which includes the current historic Cannonsburgh Village of downtown.
The mayor & city council have a planned September meeting date to discuss the proposal which includes the possible relocation of Cannonsburgh Village's historic buildings to a new home in the Murfreesboro area.
If proposal is accepted will this facilitate that first step towards a major league club & facility in Nashville?

The Daily News Journal & mayor Shane McFarland have just announced Murfreesboro has been approached by a group of investors to bring a AA franchise to downtown Murfreesboro. They desire to build on the "bottoms" area which includes the current historic Cannonsburgh Village of downtown.
The mayor & city council have a planned September meeting date to discuss the proposal which includes the possible relocation of Cannonsburgh Village's historic buildings to a new home in the Murfreesboro area.
If proposal is accepted will this facilitate that first step towards a major league club & facility in Nashville?

MLB team to Nashville seems like it will happen (whether or not Boro lands a minor league team).

Reactions: RaiderDeez
I'm ok with moving the village to a larger area that everyone can enjoy and maybe bring back the events we lost. A much larger city park and the buildings remain intact and fix anything that has is broken. I also support opening up the creek as well.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Yes. Over 2 million & growing live in Davidson County & its surrounding 9 immediate counties. Mid state & Nashville combined would do well. Always thought the Sounds was a perfect name for Nashville based baseball team.
What do you guys think would make for a good major league team name?
Nashville hits

Same here. The article I read stated that multiple events that taken place in the past have now moved to other venues. For example Uncle Dave Macon Days had been there for years on end, but now moved to Shelbyville. Apparently homeless encampments & associated drug abuse have become so difficult in the area even the Murfreesboro police department has had trouble keeping the area safe for visitors. I have not been to the Cannonsburgh area in years, & did not realize things had become so dangerous there. A total revamping of the area may be what is needed to resurrect what was once a relatively safe part of Murfreesboro. I believe the article stated the meeting will be September 14. More concrete info should be presented at that time. Hopefully the area will not be allowed to continually degrade, but with politics you never know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT