ADVERTISEMENT

Whose fault and why?

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Before any of you get started I realize newspapers are seen as irrelevant to many of you younger folks. I do understand that so don't scold me.

But IMHO MT must do everything possible to get the word out about MT athletics and that includes getting correct information in the mid-state's largest circulation metropolitan newspaper: The Tennessean.

First let me complement the paper for running DNJ's Borthick's columns on MT's participation in the C-USA tourney in B'ham. Even though the SEC tourney coverage is over the top MT's games have been covered well with the addition of unexpected color photos. For that I am thankful. I was expecting just a blurb on the games.

But as a long-term suffering MT fan I so want to get the word out about MT athletics. I want casual fans to know info about upcoming games and where to find both radio and TV (if available) broadcasts. I want local restaurants and bars to know a local team is on TV so possibly some TVs will be on our games. I somewhat understood The Tennessean not having correct info about TV coverage for the men's first round game: even hard-core MT fans had a hard time confirming if the game would be on and what station. And to give credit The Tennessean had the correct info about the quarterfinal game being on WNAB 58.

But today for the semis: NO TV according to The Tennessean this morning - It's been known for weeks that the semis (M & W) would be on CBSSN. The paper can list games being shown on the Pac10 network but not get it right for a local team?

Whose fault? C-USA office for not clearly getting the word to all media, MT sports info dept. (do we even have one), Borthick for not including the info in or accompanying his game articles, "Powers That Be" at The Tennessean who want to keep "little" Middle in it's place, WHO DO WE BLAME? The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are on National TV today and readers of The Tennessean will think MT and C-USA are so inconsequential that they don't have their semifinal games telecast.

Its nobody's fault. You know fill well we rank in Nashville below - Titans, Preds, Vandy, UTK - then you have Belmont, Limpscomb and TSU - then you have High school sports.

We are a regional university situated in Murfreesboro. Its about supply and demand. Just read the DNJ - I do every morning from Maine.

Its not going to change until there is demand.

I do believe the sports information department is lagging. I hoped the new assistant AD would solve this but apparently he hasn't caught onto this yet. He should of by now. Massaro needs to clean this up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT