ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL When a school runs its Athletic Dept. like a business….

Standards.
I was curious today about our past coaches records. Looked it up. So many had listed "asked to resign after two losing seasons" or "resigned after failing to be competitive"

We used to have standards too.

Which makes me wonder, what are your standards? If you were the AD hiring the coach, what would you set everything up to be? Me?

* Play in conference championship at minimum every 3-4 years
* Win at least one conference championship every 4 years. EVERY single class that comes through should win at least one
* Bowl game every year, which means no losing seasons. 2 in a row of those after year 4, you are gone with no buyout. Every coach should have 4 years to get their guys and system in.
* Win at least every other bowl game. Should win every one but anything is better than the 2-6 we are now in bowls.
* Extra year added only for conference title AND bowl win. Any other benchmarks are $$ only.
* ie incentive for 7 wins, incentive for 10 wins, undefeated season, beating ranked opponent, getting ranked, finishing season ranked, bowl win, etc. Create incentives for staff too. ie $$ for top defense or offense.

I personally think all of that is achievable here with the right coach.

Standards are no doubt important; my floor minimums are:

1. Conference Championship Game: expected to participate once every 5 years and winning every 7 years.

2. Winning season record a 80% or tolerate ONE losing record every fifth year. Two consecutive losing records would result in dismissal with only one year buyout paid. Extenuating circumstances such as the COVID pandemic may be consider for one year.

3. No contracts greater than 5 years or renewals that create extension longer than 6 years. Two year extension granted for an outright Conference Championship or nine wins plus a bowl win.

4. Meet all NCAA and Conference academic progress requirements: graduated bonus scale for coaches delivering superior academics (e.g. APR or Academic All Americans).

5. Bonus Incentives for HC and Assistant Coaches granted for being in conference top two of the following statistical areas: offense, defense, points scored, kicking special teams, all conference

6. Bonus Incentives for HC and Assistants for earning a AP/Coaches ranking during season. Double salaries for all coaches if final ranking is AP top 10 or attaining a CFP Access Bowl (best G5 ranking); triple salaries all coaches for winning the CFP National Championship.

7. Bonus Incentives for game and season attendance (tickets sold and in person) based on three level scale. 76-85%, 86-94%, 95+.

8. Renegotiation: once per contract term at discretion of Coach.

9. Early Termination: leaving for another school: 40% of remaining salary for remaining contract term plus scheduling a 2 home game/1 away. No penalty for family illness, disability, career outside football, or retirement. Financial penalty waived for returning to alma mater but a home/return game shall be scheduled with alma mater school.

Orgeron being forced out 2 years after winning a national championship is not standards, it is lunacy. LSU is not and will not be Alabama. Alabama will not be Alabama once Saban leaves. LSU plays in a very difficult conference and arguably the hardest division in college football. A vast majority of the time you can expect most teams to have 3-4 losses. LSU has lost to 5-2 UCLA (would be ranked if in SEC), #15 UK, and #19 Auburn. Say LSU beats Auburn instead of losing by 5. They would be 5-2 and 3-1 in the SEC. I doubt Coach O is forced out at that point. Texas A&M moved on from Sumlin and paid a new coach $9 million a year to have basically the same results. The same thing will happen at LSU for whoever they hire next unless that person's name is Nick Saban.

Reactions: Hop45
I feel AD expectations in NCAA 13 are higher than at MTSU. I've been canned by two teams for failure to winning enough championships

Reactions: crposton
Orgeron being forced out 2 years after winning a national championship is not standards, it is lunacy. LSU is not and will not be Alabama. Alabama will not be Alabama once Saban leaves. LSU plays in a very difficult conference and arguably the hardest division in college football. A vast majority of the time you can expect most teams to have 3-4 losses. LSU has lost to 5-2 UCLA (would be ranked if in SEC), #15 UK, and #19 Auburn. Say LSU beats Auburn instead of losing by 5. They would be 5-2 and 3-1 in the SEC. I doubt Coach O is forced out at that point. Texas A&M moved on from Sumlin and paid a new coach $9 million a year to have basically the same results. The same thing will happen at LSU for whoever they hire next unless that person's name is Nick Saban.
Orgeron has a new boss. Not the guy that hired him. It is what it is.

Let’s just say Coach O’s extracurricular activities have more to do with this than winning football games 😂. The stories coming out of there are hilarious.
This probably has a lot of truth to it.

Let’s just say Coach O’s extracurricular activities have more to do with this than winning football games 😂. The stories coming out of there are hilarious.
Yep. This. He might have been given a little more leash otherwise.

O has other issue's that made it easy to force him out.

The standards to be in a FB coach's contract by MTneer and Clyde are interesting. The problem I see is that some things I would want in a contract are things you would not want to made public which, IIRC, would be since all public employees contracts are public.
Looking at it from a BkB perspective I would want to make sure we play at least three "Power" schools each year (home, away, in a preseason tournament - don't care) and that we have at least one victory every couple of years against such schools. IMHO that's one way to keep the fan base engaged and to make the casual fan take notice. But, if such an stipulation were in the contract wouldn't most such schools shy away from paying us.
Additionally I would want no less than a 90% (for example) rate of wins against the eight in-state %$&-majors who appear on the schedule. Were that to be make public that could be a problem. It seems as if many expectations would have to be an "understanding" between the coach and AD and not in the written contract but a fired coach who was vindictive would probably make such understandings public (especially if they played into his firing).

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Orgeron is 40-41 when Joe Burrow is not his QB. At LSU, he is about to go .500 and having a losing season in the 2 seasons since Joe left.

As Casey alluded to, the program has several high profile issues off the field that may turn out to be a Baylor-light if the accusations are true.

Take away the amazing talent pool, great assistance coaches and his crazy Cajun Farmer Fran accent and you got Rick Stockstill coaching LSU.

Take away the amazing talent pool, great assistance coaches and his crazy Cajun Farmer Fran accent and you got Rick Stockstill coaching LSU.

Pretty much. Orgeron has never in his career been that good of a coach, much less a good head coach. Simply put, he struck absolute gold with Joe Brady, Joe Burrow, and Jamarr Chase. When you've got an offense that can score a TD basically every time they touch the ball, you are not going to lose any games. It was really that simple. They won inspite of Orgeron, not because of him. Everyone know's that.

Now that his unstoppable offense is gone, you're seeing the real Orgeron. I feel like everyone knew he wasn't a good coach and he would be fired sooner rather than later. No big secret he just got lucky and now it's back to reality.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Watching CCU jump all over Appy St. makes me sick with envy. They just put up a graphic that listed the number of conference titles both schools have won since joining FBS Div.
CCU and Appy have been FBS for 5 and 8 years, respectively. Let that sink in. We have a guy who has milked this school for 16 years without one single outright conference title won on the field.

There are no words sufficient to describe how angry this makes me.

Watching CCU jump all over Appy St. makes me sick with envy. They just put up a graphic that listed the number of conference titles both schools have won since joining FBS Div.
CCU and Appy have been FBS for 5 and 8 years, respectively. Let that sink in. We have a guy who has milked this school for 16 years without one single outright conference title won on the field.

I'm watching as well and had the same thought. Every single fan and booster should be royally pissed at our AD now. 16 years wasted.
We are nowhere near in the same league with APP or CC.

The excuses are just sickening when they say oh, we've been bowl eligible for x number of years. Who the #&*! cares? Clearly not the fan base who is not attending games anymore because WE SUCK and we have a coach no one likes outside an echo chamber inside the athletic department. The group I used to go to games with doesn't attend any now. I'm sure that's a frequent story. But yes, all is fine in MT football.

Hard to believe it’s also been 16 years and 5 months since I walked across the stage in Murphy Center and was handed my MBA by McPhee. Kinda puts things in perspective as to how freaking long we’ve given Stock to win an outright conference title with “his guys”. I’ve been involved with college football for over 45 years as a player, GA, and fan/booster. Never in that time have I seen a head coach given this much grace and latitude in such a ruthless and competitive business. And even worse, his bosses continue to accept it. I don’t get it.

Apparently even the hilltoppers were infected with that same bug that reacted with outrage and indignation at the prospect of C-USA even considering Liberty. The posters over there are similarly talking about how that didn't age too well.

To be clear, this talk isn't about people who might have complained about location or record of success in competition, etc. To explain it in the common parlance of today without rehashing the whole fiasco, the indignant outraged would have Liberty "canceled."

I mean, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

I don't think it matters anymore who said what and when. The main rub against Liberty were the Falwells. They are gone now. Liberty is still a religious school with viewpoints some will agree with and some won't, but that is the same for all religious schools. What I see when I look at Liberty is an athletic department on the rise and the funding to do pretty much anything they want. If they keep it up, they will be a BYU type program.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Interestingly, I think it was the Falwells that stated many years ago that they wanted Liberty athletics to be to protestant Christians that Notre Dame athletics is to catholics. With the amount of money, investment, and support to their athletics, they seem off to a good start.

Your overall point about their rising athletics is the point. The Falwells are gone, but we still had and have 7 wood. Go figure.

As I said, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT