ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL What MT basketball's five signees bring to table

Really looking forward to seeing Szmidt. He could end up being a huge steal in this class.

do you think the 2018 class is the year we start seeing better rated recruits?

Of note:

For countless years, rarely did MT get multiple signees in the early signing period. When MT did, it seemed to be a couple or few over the course of the whole week as in the recruits deliberating before signing.

Typically, the bulk of MT's recruiting came aboard in the late signing period.

This recruiting year in wake of the Mich St win saw MT's recruits sign in the first day or two of the early signing period. Especially when talking about 5 signees, I don't think I have ever witnessed MT signing the bulk of their recruiting class in the first day or two of the early signing period.

From the days all the way back in the OVC, it seemed that MT, OVC programs, and most other "mid-major" types signed most of their recruits in the late signing period. Sure, there were always some exceptions, but usually not the rule. It always seemed that the P5 types and top programs signed their classes in the early signing period. To me, it was another reflection of OVC types and MT at the time getting the scraps leftover by the top programs. You know, the recruits who couldn't sign on with top programs signed with lower tier programs towards the end of the late signing period.

For a number of years now, Kermit has seemed to get a fair share for MT to sign in the early signing period. Then he would finish up the class and needs in the late signing period. Never do I recall MT signing a good number of recruits right at the beginning of the early signing period. These recruits that Kermit was targeting seemed eager to immediately sign with the Blue Raiders. That strikes me as impressive, and it strikes me as further change and improvement.

Don't get me wrong, some good players can be found in the late signing period. Some wait to sign for various reasons. I'm referring here to more of the general trend in recruiting and signing. As such, Kermit's class seems to be filled out. As with most years in college basketball anymore, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kermit pick up one more recruit before this offseason is over. Anymore these days, there is a lot of movement, i.e. transfers, with a lot of young players in college basketball these days.

do you think the 2018 class is the year we start seeing better rated recruits?

I was asking that question right after the weekend of the Mich St win last season. As the late signing period progressed, I was increasingly concerned despite Kermit admitting there was much more and better interest in recruiting. Then I heard a great interview w/ Kermit this past summer that alleviated my concerns. The discussion delved into recruiting. Again, Kermit confirmed more doors were opening. He went on to confirm that a key component for MT recruiting was finding players who could succeed in his program, the winning culture. I had suspected such, but it was nice hearing him confirm his recruiting philosophy when I was wondering where were the extra stars next to recruits names. To me, the lack of 3 or 4 stars wasn't as important to knowing that there was a method to his madness, so to speak.

From back in the day when Kermit's teams were having trouble getting over the 17 or 18 win hump with tons of player turnover each season, it was fairly apparent that Kermit needed to recruit better matches to his style of program. He eventually reached that point about 5 or 6 years ago.

Kermit continues to report that the openness and interest in MT is so much better, it's not even close now compared to past seasons he asserts publicly. I suspect he'll get excellent quality players; however, I doubt the amount of stars will be his main focus. I'm cool with that as long as he is continuing to improve in quality and ability of new players who are tough and can fit into his tremendously demanding program of basketball. I think these past 5 or 6 years have proven that he is doing that.

Reactions: BlueRaider95
Recruiting will continue to be an uphill battle until the profile of C-USA improves and continued investments in facilities are made. We are not remotely on an even playing field recruiting against the premier mid-major programs in the country when it comes to the caliber of their conferences and facilities compared to ours.

The administration right now has to be formulating a plan to put infrastructure in place to help basketball continue to flourish. If that doesn't happen, the progress will stagnate in the near future.

Reactions: dukewayne
Recruiting will continue to be an uphill battle until the profile of C-USA improves and continued investments in facilities are made. We are not remotely on an even playing field recruiting against the premier mid-major programs in the country when it comes to the caliber of their conferences and facilities compared to ours.

The administration right now has to be formulating a plan to put infrastructure in place to help basketball continue to flourish. If that doesn't happen, the progress will stagnate in the near future.

As usual, you are right on. Facilities and improved recruiting budget.

Yeah, but first the administration should upgrade the baseball facilities or else baseball will won't be able to compete...

Yeah, but first the administration should upgrade the baseball facilities or else baseball will won't be able to compete...

I see what you did there...:)

I think our investments have to be very targeted. As well as the program is doing, there is no need to break the bank here. We are who we are. There are so many needs across the entire AD. For Mens basketball, pick a couple of areas to improve and build those. The truth is with all of CKD bonuses, his pay isn't that bad, it will be in the $650-700K range. I say give him a small salary bump but load it with bigger incentives. MC looks pretty good after all the work done. What specifically is the next most pressing need and lets address it.

If I were a billionaire I would give whatever it took to rise the profile of MT men's BkB, that's where MY interest lies. I would give to assistants pay, to facility upgrades, and to an unlimited recruiting budget.

But, the powers that be in Murphy Ctr. and Cope have other things to consider. Out budget is, obviously, very tight. Pay raises given to Davis are $$$s which can't be used for other purposes (Econ. 101 at MT - Opportunity Costs in economic terms).

In overall facility needs we MUST be working on an indoor (primarily for FB) practice facility with an indoor track with hopefully FB space for offices, locker rooms, weight room, etc. Yet, such a facility is not even on the d--n drawing board. (all such a facility would do for me as primarily a men's BkB fan is to get us a step closer to total renovation/replacement of The Murph yet I see the need as the necessary next facility enhancement)

Fellow MT fans, we must find additional sources of income or the entire athletic program will wither on the vine just as one sport is gaining national attention. Wish to hell I knew the solution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT