• Without Pegasus

Votes: 26 92.9%

• Total voters

JohnDavidBlue

All American
Sep 10, 2005
image_handler.aspx

image_handler.aspx

The pegasus adds absolutely nothing to the logo. On the helmet or elsewhere, fans can't really see it. It looks like a 1950s style hood ornament. I've always thought simpler is better. Slanted MT looks good, you know what team it is, why mess it up with a winged horse.

yep, I was at the basketball game that the unveiled the horse thing... I would prefer the MT logo slanted..

Never cared for the Pegasus. None of the reasons for it being added made sense to me. Seems like our different sports teams are undecided on which to use. I hope we drop the winged horse soon and figure out what we want The Blue Raider mascot to look like. My daughter thinks some kind of Storm trooper, Mr. Incredible, Captain America, masked rider hybrid. Anyway, bold slanted MT looks good on TV. CBS used it during March madness.

Kill the winged horse crap that has nothing to do with a blue raider and go with just the slanted MT. Plain and simple and looks much better without the winged my little pony thing. I hate that thing with a passion. Terrible branding. I'm not bitter. :)

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I've hated that pegasus since the unveiled it. I have a few clothing items with it on, but not much. I try to only get the bold MT. The bed decal I created for my truck uses just the block letters as does my tattoo.

Get rid of that stupid horse. It makes us look so middle school.

Call me "old school" but I still like the block interlocking MT from the 60's and 70'S. I have a couple of hats from the era (one felt New Era for winter, one mesh for the summer) which I'm sure no one can identify what they represent when I wear them. Yes, I do have hats older than most of you posters.

As for the horse/pegasus: I do understand the problem which faced the school after dropping the Confederate Soldier (and all that implied - hard to understand what Blue had to do with a confederate soldier dressed in gray who fought against and enemy dressed in Blue but ???). Neither the masked Zorro look alike or the emphasis on the blue dog caused anyone to be happy. One wonders just how much was spent to identify, develop, and adapt the Pegasus logo (which brings out a lot of "My Little Pony" derision), gotta wonder what other options were presented at the time.

One thing is clear. The Middle Tennessee State University Blue Raiders (ain't that a hell of a mouthful) need an easily recognized logo and mascot, and a shorter name. We have almost no tradition so I'm up for anything.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I like the idea of using a horse in the athletic name - stallions, studs, walkers, etc.

Lol. If you are going old school, I had to look up our logos via the helmet project: http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

Call me "old school" but I still like the block interlocking MT from the 60's and 70'S. I have a couple of hats from the era (one felt New Era for winter, one mesh for the summer) which I'm sure no one can identify what they represent when I wear them. Yes, I do have hats older than most of you posters.

As for the horse/pegasus: I do understand the problem which faced the school after dropping the Confederate Soldier (and all that implied - hard to understand what Blue had to do with a confederate soldier dressed in gray who fought against and enemy dressed in Blue but ???). Neither the masked Zorro look alike or the emphasis on the blue dog caused anyone to be happy. One wonders just how much was spent to identify, develop, and adapt the Pegasus logo (which brings out a lot of "My Little Pony" derision), gotta wonder what other options were presented at the time.

One thing is clear. The Middle Tennessee State University Blue Raiders (ain't that a hell of a mouthful) need an easily recognized logo and mascot, and a shorter name. We have almost no tradition so I'm up for anything.

Reactions: MT Glenn
JDB: none of the helmets shown use the interlocking MT I remember. If I had iphone and computer skills I could show you a photo.

The way teams and organizations change logos and general look every so often, it is completely reasonable for MT to change the logo after 20 years. Let's face it, there's no huge love for the horse logo. It's not like the public is locked in on the horse logo. Time for a change. There really is no locked in identity or brand for MT sports. It could be argued that stylized MT is probably most used and associated with MT sports.

Of course it's been past time for a university name change. Any competent marketing business type person with any knowledge knows you have to target 3 syllables or less for your name brand. Few can get away with lengthy brand. Now that new university board is starting to settle in, it would be a good time to start to advocate for a name change. Plus, they probably have some open meetings.

This stuff is not that hard. It is incredibly frustrating that the university leadership seems indifferent or is waiting decades to see about making a change for the better in brand, logo, mascot, etc. Just do it!

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
First thought is we're too broke to fix even some of our athletic branding/image problems. Thinking back on the amount of national TV exposure our brand received, I cringed when they would show the Minn. Gopher or the Butler Bulldog, then our Lil pony with too much eye make-up. McPhee / Massaro please fix this. This kind neglect of our brand year in year out hurts us. Most schools are very protective of their logos. I don't know of any that would clutter their logo with a hood ornament. There is a disconnect somewhere. I just don't get this Administration and Athletic department. This isn't a small detail. Branding and image matter.

A sure fire way to get the administration to pay attention and fix it immediately, claim the current logo mascot etc are not politically correct and are offensive. That was the driving force of the last change.

Hey, isn't that horse representative of strength as in masculinity as in a male?

I think I need a safe space in the athletic complex until a better logo, name, and mascot can be found.

Oh my, what the heck is that blob of mixed colors?!

At least us MT folks can now take solace in the fact that there is at least one program in the NCAA with a worse logo now. Whoever drew that piece of crap up for UNLV should be giving back that $50,000. You spend a year and 50 grand, and you somehow land on that?! Wow!

The UNLV debacle is a good reminder for MT folks to add the words good quality to the sentence when requesting a new logo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT