ADVERTISEMENT

What a gutsy defensive performance and a bright future ahead

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Holy moly our defense. While 30 points might look like a lot, when you big deeper you see just how impressive their performance was. We've been awful at forcing turnovers this year and they came up with 3 tonight, including a scoop and score which really helped set the tone.

I really only look at it as giving up 23 points, because the phantom PI call on D. Randolph gave Arkansas State a free TD. And despite Arkansas State winning the TOP battle and our defense being on the field a ton in the second half, they remained strong and sealed the deal for us. Playing conservative with our current defense isn't the dumbest idea in the world anymore! I'm just so impressed with every aspect of our defense. the DL, the LB'ers, the DB's, and of course the play calling. I really hope Shafer gets overlooked in the off-season because boy, that man can run a defense. Homerun hire from Stockstill right there.

Darrius Harris was EVERYWHERE tonight. 12 total tackles, 8 solo, 2 pass defenses. I've always said he's one of the most underrated players on our defense and he's finally showing it. Best part about it, we get him for another season next year as he's just a junior. Call me crazy, but I think he finds a home in the NFL.

The future looks good. And if our offense can get a little better on the OL and Richie can stay healthy, it looks REAL good. We took care of business tonight and did what we needed to do. This win is going to carry us into a nice December signing class, on through February, and then it's time to prepare for the CUSA championship. We are coming, 2018. It's going to be a 3-way battle between FAU, Marshall, and MT next year. OOC games will be imperative because it wouldn't surprise me if it ended FAU, Marshall, and MT all with 1 loss at the end. Best record goes to CUSA title game. We'll see, but I think we at least have a shot to win the East next year.

7 wins and Bowl Eligible.

Roll it over boys.

Kiffin, Clark and the new guy at WKU ain’t goin’ anywhere.
I'm not that high on the Mike Sanford. He's a good coach, but he's nowhere near Jeff Brohm or Lane Kiffin. They (WKU), like MT, will probably look for an 8-4 next year

To be honest, Sanford only won 6 games because he had Brohm's players. How do you not win 10 games with Mike White at QB? The play calling was even worse than ours and that's saying a lot. Their best game was when they played us. After that, they were done. FIU baked them and we beat FIU by 20. LOL. WKU is done in my mind.

WKU now has to replace White and even more of their D including some skill guys. Sanford isn't good on the X's and O's so if the talent in recruiting isn't at a Brohm level, he ain't even winning 6 next year.

7 wins and Bowl Eligible.

Roll it over boys.

Kiffin, Clark and the new guy at WKU ain’t goin’ anywhere.

Kiffen's the real deal, but he won't be at FAU long.

I'm unimpressed with Sanford.

Jury's still out on Clark, but the dude went 6-6 in one year at UAB, and then went 8-4 with a JUCO loaded team.

As good of a run the Clark has had at UAB, if we had Brent in that game, we would have won that one easily. Urzua simply couldn't get it done and we still only lost that one by 2.

Kiffin and Butch are the only ones I'm concerned with.

I am only concerned about Kiffin. UAB will have a hard time sustaining things...they had the benefit of lots of JC guys, graduated transfers and extra years for others.

Heck, at our level its hard to maintain...we need to worry about MT. We need to find a way to grow our fan base and more importantly our giving base. Aside form the HC and coordinators we do not pay well.

We need to find a way to get our budget up enough to remain competitive and get the facilities we need.

You guys kill me. We’ve had 12 seasons with one half-Title won with Slappy Mac’s players. This is never gonna change.

I have to ask a burning question. Why was Stock never offered an assistant’s spot on Coach Bobby Bowden’s staffs after he graduated from FSU in 1982?

Kermit was our coach for how long before we won a title? The future is never written in stone. Kiffin had a good year by running an O that no one in the conference was ready for. His second year will be tougher for him. Also, will his OC remain? We'll see.

Kermit was our coach for how long before we won a title? The future is never written in stone. Kiffin had a good year by running an O that no one in the conference was ready for. His second year will be tougher for him. Also, will his OC remain? We'll see.
JT go back and read some of your posts after the UAB and Marshall games. I knew the Stockstill apologists would start waffling if he backed into a meaningless bowl win. The only difference from years past is a couple of bad possessions and penalties by Ark St.

You guys kill me. We’ve had 12 seasons with one half-Title won with Slappy Mac’s players. This is never gonna change.

I have to ask a burning question. Why was Stock never offered an assistant’s spot on Coach Bobby Bowden’s staffs after he graduated from FSU in 1982?

Can you let us enjoy it for a bit...no one is under any illusions about all the headwinds we face. We cannot do anything about Stocks contract. But we can celebrate a win in a bowl game. We can hope for a turn around.

You can still choose to be negative all the time, your negativity doesn't really mean anything - its not changing anything or helping the program but continue to knock yourself out. My take is if you just go away it will have about the same impact. But its a free country, do what you think you need to do.

Reactions: TeKEraider
Swiley.....love your optimism. Are you someone else now? I have been shocked at some of your posts lately.

Anyway....as much as I would like to be optimistic, and there is reason to be optimistic, I just can't get there. I feel like we are in a perpetual state of groundhog day every season. That being said I would like to make the following observations...

I said at the beginning of the season that this would be the year we grade Tommy West. Well the results have come in and he gets a B. Very impressed with Ferguson. Future all conference guy. Jucos brought in to provide depth. We are okay here. I would like to see us come on at the DE position more. That kept me from giving him an A.

We started a different line up on the OL at the Bowl game. I think Behanon at LT is right where he needs to be. He has some talent. Did an OL go down in the game? I saw Luke Harris playing in the second half. Couldn't tell where. All I know is we have many pieces to play with on the OL but do we have the right coach? Do we have the right S & C coach? I assume we will have the answers soon. Then again Stock likes to wait a year and make 100% sure that they are not the right coach.

The reason I am questioning the S&C coach is because of the lack of physical development of Manciel and Fanin. What happened?

We had a 238 pounder playing tailback. I would love for him to be a fullback/Slotback. We need more speed at Tailback. The guy can flat run over people though. Good move by coaches.

Is Khalil Brooks not a badass! 1ST team preseason all conference next year. If not then someone is not paying attention. He is J.K. Sabb....maybe better. Harris is another one. Two preseason all conference guys. We have the best set of linebackers in the conference coming back next season. Defense wins championships and it looks like we have one on paper that is good enough to win us a championship.

But what about next years offense? That is the million dollar question. Do we have the right quarterback? Hard to tell until you have the right OL.

On to recruiting.....

If you look at our offense, the stat I keep going back to is turnovers...despite all our injuries "if" the turnover battle is just even for the year we win 9-10 games. All we really need is incremental improvement on the offensive side and we will have a chance to win the conference.

If you look at our offense, the stat I keep going back to is turnovers...despite all our injuries "if" the turnover battle is just even for the year we win 9-10 games. All we really need is incremental improvement on the offensive side and we will have a chance to win the conference.
Ifs and buts should count only in years 1-3. By Year 4 one would think we have a Conf. Title. 8 years later and we are still “competing”, bragging about “Bowl eligibility” and blaming injuries. What is the combined record of teams we beat? 20-52 and only one team had a winning record, FIU (8-4).
2017 wasn’t simply a “down year”. It’s not even a trend. It’s becoming a Middle “tradition”. Shoot me.

Urzua just killed the offense and any chance for a victory... Banks should get plenty of practice this spring and hopefully he will be an efficient, effective, backup for 2018

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT