ADVERTISEMENT

Welp....

I'm cheering for Western. I hope they take the MAC and make the most of it. Whatever ends up happening to us...we totally had/have it coming.

"A real stern commitment from the Presidents to be better."

We'll see.

Actions > words. This is hopefully a wake up call that you have to invest in your athletics, strive to actually win championships, keep your facilities up to date, and not let terrible coaches hang around & offer up terrible contracts/extensions to crappy coaches.

Will this be a learning opportunity for the remaining members?

We'll see.
How about starting with football & MBB back on 89.5

I think the "commitment" is all lip service

I'm cheering for Western. I hope they take the MAC and make the most of it. Whatever ends up happening to us...we totally had/have it coming.

We will see. I feel like the facilities have to happen now. There is, quite literally, zero excuse now. We will have a brief (2 years or so) influx of cash, and we were supposedly already close on our fundraising goals. So we have to be there now to break dirt. Massaro is on record stating Phase 1 of fundraising is complete, which involves the "Student Athlete Performance Center" (Whatever that is in those renderings) and that fundraising will now start for the Murphy Center renovations (Phase 2). Phase 1 & 2 really need to get done ASAP as they will provide a huge facelift and much needed new facilities for our athletics programs. Phase 3 is more of a luxury but we need it too. I hope it doesn't take a decade to get all this done. They need to start construction now, prices be damned. It's a shame they waited so long to finally get serious about things. It's probably going to cost double now what it would have 5 years ago.

I say build the new facilities, and let these bum coaches play out their contracts further to reduce the buyouts for at least 1 more year.

McDevitt will have to change the direction of the program, a complete 180, to remain after this season. Stockstill's buyout is dwindling and he doesn't appear to want to coach much longer. I always thought if push came to shove, Stockstill would fire all his buddies, and hire some real OL/DL/Special teams coaches instead of retiring/being fired. He has always stated he plans to coach for a long time with no desire to walk away any time soon, but he just looks so tired and with the rumors about retirement last season I think retirement is looking more and more likely with each passing game. Stockstill thought we had a good team this year and that we would be better, but look how things have fallen apart. We are already at 3 losses in conference and playing our 3rd and 4th string QB's. His morale has to be pretty darn low despite those fat paychecks.

When football/CBB end, we will have to take a hard look at firing McDevitt & Stockstill after these seasons. If for no other reason than to energize the fan base and give the appearance that winning matters at MT and we are making an attempt to win. Unless McDevitt shows massive improvement (Approaching 20 W's....at least 15) he has to go. Stockstill honestly needs to go too but I have a really hard time seeing this administration fire him unless we get blown out these last 3 games.

Last edited:
How about starting with football & MBB back on 89.5

I think the "commitment" is all lip service
AMEN! WMOT broadcasting of football ought to happen Saturday. Surely, that type of move can be done immediately on order of Dr. McPhee. That move would start to earn trust back with me. It's really hard to trust our AD, university president and MT's BOT right now with what has happened.

I have been thinking about this post a bit. This may be the litmus test for direction of our athletics program.

I have to accept that we can’t buy out contracts (maybe exit fees help here) but we should be watching very closely on any form of extension for the sake of recruiting. If there is one iota of staying the course, MT doesn’t care about the fans and we all should pack up and fold.

if nothing is done, sweeping changes over the next couple of years is exciting but could be too late.

We would start in the '24 season. He only is here through '24.

Real talk for just a moment that we're very clearly approaching a cross roads. When coaches have three or less years on their contract, negative recruiting kicks in. So, one of three things happens.

1) Stock retires soon
2) Stock is fired
3) Stock is extended (potentially after this season).

With the ire of this fan base which has clearly spoken, I can't see #3 being on the table. I mean there isn't a person on this planet that would extend Stock beyond his current contract. Not even these knuckleheads. After this season, CM has to have a real hard conversation with Stock that he's not going to be extended and if he's intent to stay then he's going to have to do it with end of contract hanging over his head. Most coaches do not want to do that. And CRS is still a competitive guy. He's just not a great coach. He's an ok coach, and the prospect of recruiting degrading even further and his last year or two looking like 2-10 or 1-11 type seasons might not seem too appealing to him.

I believe the end of the Stockstill regime is nigh.

I believe we saw a preview of what this looks like yesterday. Like CRS, Butch Davis has been near the end of his career for a few years. His five year deal in ‘16 expires after this season. He was never extended not even after three straight bowl appearances and beating the Hurricanes. So, he’s been left to carry on a program that has no future with him and a program that doesn’t have one until he is gone.

And you see it in the recruiting over the past few years there in Miami. Since beating the Hurricanes in Nov 2019, FIU doesn’t have a single win against an FBS program. They are 1-16 since that day. As we get into the next couple of years in Stocks final years of his contract, the impact on recruiting will be significant. And we’ve already seen recruiting decline over the past few years anyway as nearly the entire staff has aged into their twilight years. If Stockstill doesn’t retire or be fired after this season or next, we can expect similar prowess of football on MTs sideline in the years ahead as we saw on FIUs yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT