ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Welcome, Coach McDevitt

Tye Fagan tweeted (and then deleted, it appears) something along the lines of “can someone tell the Middle Tennessee AD to call me...” (paraphrasing)

That...does not sound good. I’m not sure what the rules are regarding non-coaches making contact with recruits, but if we could have been talking with these guys and haven’t been doing so, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

Typically, an AD will get certified by the NCAA so that they can talk to recruits when a coaching change occurs.

Listening to the press conference...if these recruits will give coach a chance, I think they will be impressed.

Initial impressions from the press conference:

-I would estimate about 125-150 people there. Doesn't sound like much, but actually seemed like a decent crowd for a 10:00 press conference. The turnout tonight will be a better indicator.

-Nice setup for the event. I didn't see any current players there except Chase, but my guess is that they were in class. Kerry was in attendance as well.

-Very good first impression of CNM. He strikes me as a younger Kermit, personality-wise. Good speaker, very congenial, seems to have an identity in terms of what he wants his teams to do.

-Made a good appeal to the folks who are still mourning the loss of CKD- "you didn't just lose a coach, you lost a friend...i'm not here to tear down any murals...we should celebrate what we've accomplished...there's plenty of space in this building to hang more banners." (paraphrased)

-Prefers to switch between many different defensive schemes...on offense wants the players to dictate the tempo... "if we can play at 100 mph without turning it over, we are going to play at 100 mph...if we are turning it over at 50, we will dial it down to 40..." Wants to be a team than can grind out wins, because the shots won't always fall (very CKD-esque)

-Mentioned being excited about the opportunity to bring his entire staff in some capacity, but their success at UNC-A has led to head coaching opportunities for some. (I've heard he is bringing one assistant with him most likely).

-Said he had been in contact with Tye. Carlos, and KJ yesterday afternoon (mentioned them by name, nice touch) and was going to visit each of them in the next day or two.

-Overall, I feel good about him, The proof will be in the pudding, but he certainly won me over.

-Made a good appeal to the folks who are still mourning the loss of CKD- "you didn't just lose a coach, you lost a friend...i'm not here to tear down any murals...we should celebrate what we've accomplished...there's plenty of space in this building to hang more banners." (paraphrased)

I was at the press conference, and MTCasey gave a great summary, but listed above was my favorite thing he said. He seemed 100% honest and sincere that he was really excited to be at MTSU and in the Murfreesboro community. You could see why it seems other coaches, his players, and recruits are high on him, seemed very focused, down to Earth and motivated. I was so so on the hire, but after reading some things said about him, what people that have met him have said about him and listening to him today, I am on-board. Seems like a good hire and even better fit.

I am happy to hear he wants to play an exciting brand of basketball that will get fans to the games. Hope we can tap into the last three crowds of this past year (~10k each).

Wow. Just watched the presser. REALLY impressed. Super excited. Very impressed how he mentioned getting people to come to the games is a two way street. Very true. As mentioned earlier, mentioning the recruits by name. He's very forthcoming in his answers. Very conversational with his responses. I really think he will be a great brand ambassador and I can't wait to see his plan implemented on the court.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Listened to Massaro on the radio yesterday morning on the wake up zone. Sort of reading between the lines, I get the impression that the new governing board made it possible for MT to finally hire a coach in a reasonable amount of time. I hope this is a positive sign towards the future for MT.

It doesn't seem like it was all that many years ago when MT was in that same sort of league as UNC-A. It is a good reminder that MT has made much progress over the years. Even in those last years in the OVC, MT basketball HC made, what, about $130,000 a year? Even going into a coaching hire for Kermit while in the SunBelt, the numbers weren't that much higher. Back in those days, MT wasn't exactly the most attractive job in the world of D1 basketball during the days of the coaching carousel in March and April.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT