ADVERTISEMENT

Washington Post Tony Franklin Article

Judging by the number of fans in the stands at Floyd, it seems like quite if few of them have found other thing to do on Saturdays. Nothing screams home sweet Floyd quite like an empty stadium
No one was in the stands when we played for the division championship or the conference championship. Nothing seems to make you fair weathered fans happy. Move on

No one was in the stands when we played for the division championship or the conference championship. Nothing seems to make you fair weathered fans happy. Move on
Like me, I think most in here have moved on but still come here to express a mutual dissatisfaction with the state OUR athletic program and alma mater is in right now. That, and also to discuss what it’s eventually gonna require in order to “take out the trash” as one former Head Football Coach and AD likes to say.

As I said in the previous post, Stock / Massaro / McPhee should be asking why fans weren't in the stands - especially for a C-USA championship game.

And, at this point, I'd hardly call anyone willing to talk about MT sports a "fair weathered fan." Seems there has been plenty of stormy weather for us "fair weathered fans" to discuss here on the boards.

And again, I ask : Why run off the few fans willing to engage - and discuss - MT sports? Doesn't seem like a logical way to grow a fan base.

As I said in the previous post, Stock / Massaro / McPhee should be asking why fans weren't in the stands - especially for a C-USA championship game.

And, at this point, I'd hardly call anyone willing to talk about MT sports a "fair weathered fan." Seems there has been plenty of stormy weather for us "fair weathered fans" to discuss here on the boards.

And again, I ask : Why run off the few fans willing to engage - and discuss - MT sports? Doesn't seem like a logical way to grow a fan base.

You make a great point.

I look at the few remaining fans who still care, but don’t give money / attend games at this point, much like a family with a drug addict. You can love the person (school), but at some point you have to stop enabling the person.

If you want the person’s behavior to change, you try interventions and are willing to support rehab, but you are not going to keep giving money so they can keep buying & let them stay on your house to continue the spiral.

Same for MT athletics, we voice our desire for change and if the school is willing to start rehabbing the athletic dept., but we can’t keep supporting destructive, poor decisions with money or attendance.

I know addiction is a much bigger deal, but the analogy parallels are there.

Fair weather would be only supporting the team when they win. I think most people on her would give more support of MT tried to make a change (ie get rid of Massaro/Stock) & was actively trying to be more than they are.

Sadly, many have moved on and may never return. That exactly explains your statement of “No one was in the stands when we played...”. Many MT alumni, fans, or even long-standing Murfreesboro residents are indifferent at best or find the sum total of leadership decisions and culture to be objectionable with the mission of a well managed university. Simply stated, MT is not remotely measuring up to standards and expectations of a FBS/DI institution like those found in the ACC, $EC, B1G, or even the AAC where our peer the University of Memphis resides. We can positively do better in so many ways, but unfortunately those who are appointed in power fail to see what is needed or are unwilling to ensure that we can. Our perception is more like FCS or even D-II with the choices we are making.

Our problems go far beyond the football team or men’s basketball; it’s really in marketing and branding, identity as an institution of higher learning, alumni loyalty, and accountability through all levels. Various aunts/uncles/cousins of my extended family, immediate family, or myself, have had some level of engagement to the college or university continuously since 1948 either as an employee, a student, at times both, and at times multiple individuals throughout my family tree in those roles. For instance, My dad worked 23 years at MT, My mom for about 5 total in different jobs, and have two cousins that are employed to this day—one as faculty and another at a staff level. And, I am an alumnus who graduated 28 years ago who wants my university to be excellent, not just average or meeting the lowest common denominator of the student body to bolster enrollment to get additional operational dollars from the state and Federal sources.

I’m nobody special on the totem pole (Harvey or Shinny Ninny), but think an individual can and should have positive affinity to their alma mater. However, in today’s climate it is very difficult, if not impossible, to reach traditional expectations and regain the school spirit that makes our university special. Affinity, excellence, and genuineness is what’s missing!

If we hear anything at all, I presume it will be once a lawsuit begins.

Tennessee covid liability law will no doubt be tested.

The Act broadly protects “persons”—individuals and legal entities, including businesses, hospitals, schools, nonprofits, and religious institutions—from claims “arising from COVID-19” unless the claimant can prove gross negligence or willful misconduct by clear and convincing evidence.

https://hrdailyadvisor.blr.com/2020/09/28/what-tennessees-new-covid-19-liability-law-covers/

I’m still pretty much a newcomer to the Blue Raider family. Until August 2003, when I started my first graduate school class, I had not been on the MTSU campus since Spring 1976 (my HS Senior year) when I attended the Boys Basketball state playoffs at Murphy.
After graduating in 2005, I jumped in with both feet in my support until CM blessed Stock’s hiring of West and then “the contract”. I knew exactly where we were headed after those two moves.

My personal opinion is that we are stuck with this entire crew for the next couple of years until they can all retire and Brent adds a year or two to his coaching resume to help him move on. It is what it is and I choose not to play anymore with my financial support. I’ll always root for them but that’s it.

Last edited:
If we hear anything at all, I presume it will be once a lawsuit begins.

Tennessee covid liability law will no doubt be tested.

The Act broadly protects “persons”—individuals and legal entities, including businesses, hospitals, schools, nonprofits, and religious institutions—from claims “arising from COVID-19” unless the claimant can prove gross negligence or willful misconduct by clear and convincing evidence.

https://hrdailyadvisor.blr.com/2020/09/28/what-tennessees-new-covid-19-liability-law-covers/
I have to believe Stock’s sideline gaiter picture is pretty compelling evidence of gross negligence, willful misconduct or just plain stupidity. And, even worse if he outright lied about it in the inquiry with McPhee as Franklin has alleged.

Does anyone have the interview he did on Paul Finebaum show were he called at the President, AD and Stock all over national TV.

What a douche. How Stock could put up with such a smug a hole for as long as I did is beyond me. When he said he helped Mumme get the job at UK, I almost woke up my wife laughing. Man, he threw Tuberville under the bus too. LOL. He doesn't seem to like anyone he's coached with. That says a lot. IMO, he's mad as a hatter. He'll talk to anyone that will listen. Finebaum backed away and let him spew and didn't say sh!t after he was done. LOL. So obvious that Finebaum was going after soundbites.

This is slander though. MT should lawyer up and help him spend some of that cash he walked. away with. Massaro was a moron for not doing it after the Washington Post stuff. Tony is just wanting to cripple the recruiting now and it seems he's doing a good job.

Also, every team did all of the same stuff. I just watched 5 games and all of the coaches in the big 12 I saw had their masks down on the sidelines. Gundy had his below his damn chin the whole time. Charlotte, FAU, UNT, UAB, VU, FIU, CSU,, U-state, Temple, etc. all had crazier numbers of cases than ours.

again, so glad he's gone.

Reactions: Hop45
What a douche. How Stock could put up with such a smug a hole for as long as I did is beyond me. When he said he helped Mumme get the job at UK, I almost woke up my wife laughing. Man, he threw Tuberville under the bus too. LOL. He doesn't seem to like anyone he's coached with. That says a lot. IMO, he's mad as a hatter. He'll talk to anyone that will listen. Finebaum backed away and let him spew and didn't say sh!t after he was done. LOL. So obvious that Finebaum was going after soundbites.

This is slander though. MT should lawyer up and help him spend some of that cash he walked. away with. Massaro was a moron for not doing it after the Washington Post stuff. Tony is just wanting to cripple the recruiting now and it seems he's doing a good job.

Also, every team did all of the same stuff. I just watched 5 games and all of the coaches in the big 12 I saw had their masks down on the sidelines. Gundy had his below his damn chin the whole time. Charlotte, FAU, UNT, UAB, VU, FIU, CSU,, U-state, Temple, etc. all had crazier numbers of cases than ours.

It is my understanding that CRS tried to dump Franklin at least a year ago but that move was blocked by McPhee. Just what I've heard.

Maybe he trying to help get an overhaul........lol

It is my understanding that CRS tried to dump Franklin at least a year ago but that move was blocked by McPhee. Just what I've heard.

Is 7 Wood that terrible of a micromanager? Let your AD be an AD. If a coach can’t fire his staff due to a president’s call......McPhee is awful.

Tony is just trying to sell future books at this point.

Yeah, but this is not a good look for the Athletic department, football program and the university. If what he says is true, then that's just pure negligence and someone needs to be accountable.

Yeah, but this is not a good look for the Athletic department, football program and the university. If what he says is true, then that's just pure negligence and someone needs to be accountable.

It's slander and MT should lawyer up and press him to get an attorney and fight it. Even if nothing comes from it. Franklin will have to spend a nice chunk of change defending it. They weren't doing anything any other team wasn't doing. I can grab 100's of screenshots of other team's coaches not masking up, wearing them on their chins for a whole game and crap like that.

JT

he probably goes on HBO real sports soon....what makes this so bad is the school is really trying to let it fade instead of going at it head on

What I'm gathering here is that firing Massaro or Stockstill at this point is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. For any real good to honest change to occur, McPhee must go. That sounds like the direction for the focus of energy to have someone fired and replaced.

What I'm gathering here is that firing Massaro or Stockstill at this point is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
I think so too.

For any real good to honest change to occur, McPhee must go. That sounds like the direction for the focus of energy to have someone fired and replaced.
Since the state is happy with mcphee, I figure that once he is gone they will put his clone in Cope

Reactions: MTOleBlue
he probably goes on HBO real sports soon....what makes this so bad is the school is really trying to let it fade instead of going at it head on
Makes you wonder how much of it is true since the strategy seems to be to hope it goes away.

Massaro is a complete milk toast. Dude will never rock the boat. He never does what he should. They did the investigation. They met the NCAA standards. Franklin would have to prove all of this beyond a shadow of a doubt. The burden of proof is on him. Plus, it would cost him a fortune. He wants attention because he's a narcissist a hole. The media laps up any controversy to sell soap. The dude has had problems with everyone he's ever worked with.

How the hell are you supposed to obey covid regulations when it's impossible to distance and be germ free while playing the game? He's just using this to have a platform to justify his crazy.

Massaro is a complete milk toast. Dude will never rock the boat. He never does what he should. They did the investigation. They met the NCAA standards. Franklin would have to prove all of this beyond a shadow of a doubt. The burden of proof is on him. Plus, it would cost him a fortune. He wants attention because he's a narcissist a hole. The media laps up any controversy to sell soap. The dude has had problems with everyone he's ever worked with.

How the hell are you supposed to obey covid regulations when it's impossible to distance and be germ free while playing the game? He's just using this to have a platform to justify his crazy.

completely agree. He is clearly not well mentally and loves being a vindictive a-hole
Towards his former employers. He has no credibility in my eyes even though it wouldn’t surprise me if stock and his coaches didn’t follow the letter of the law on covid restrictions.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT