ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Very thankful to be 7-3.

How many Vol or Does fans come to our games anyway. I don't think it has as much impact as people think. If the game on west end was not happening the same day I bet it wouldn't amount to 30 additional MT fans showing up.

That would sound about right...

Kentucky is a good team. If we stay in it until halftime, I'll be pleasantly shocked.

Recent ooc games does not fill me with a whole lot of confidence with MT going up to UK.

Early in the season, the question crossed my mind if coach stock held out some of the players who were dinged up but able to play. Particularly vs UGA. I will be curious if coach stock holds out a few players this weekend. The risk of getting some dinged up players knocked out of play for a few weeks could be disastrous with so much riding on UAB next week. On the other hand, playing aggressive without all the typical caution has been an improvement during this year's conference race for MT.

If you watch Stock's press conference video in this thread you'll see we are 100% going up there to try to win the game.

We are about to find out what our defense is made of. They have a TALL task in front of them with Kentucky. Especially as our offense likely won't soak up much TOP leaving our defense on the field a lot.

Call me crazy, but I could actually see us winning this game if we can control the line of scrimmage. Kentucky does not historically play well against OOC opponents. I'm very eager to see how this game goes. I'm not giving up on it.

I'll have to check that video out then.

I have to give credit to coach stock for already getting to 7 wins at this point. Early in the season, it seemed to me that slim and none were the chances of getting to 7 wins this year. Granted, with Brent as a senior, this should be one of the team's better years. Still, 7 wins is pretty darn good considering how much more difficult the schedule is compared to schedules of years past.

I don't want to count my chicks before they hatch, but 8 wins seems somewhat feasible before this season is over. It's kind of nice having MT football still fun and interesting in mid Nov.

We're the kind of team that could give UK fits.

UK is built to grind with Bennie Snell and a big OL. They're not built for shootouts. Their QB stinks. They're a good defense (we'll have to keep Josh Allen from breaking Brent in half), but not elite, and we should be able to score some points.

Can we score enough to make Kentucky abandon the run and have to pass to keep up? That's the question.

Another question is what kind of frame of mind is UK in. They got popped by UGA, and then UT dominated them from the start to the finish. After the game, there was some sniping in the locker room from a few of the players. Some teams could rally at this point. But a noon game against a perceived lackluster opponent - some teams have been known to mail a game like this in.

I've seen this movie time and time again with us. We go in thinking we have a pretty good chance of winning and we get our asses kicked up and down the field. Think Minnesota last year, Vandy this year. They are big up front and will want to run right at us and they probably will. I want to think we will win this game but I just don't see it.

I've seen this movie time and time again with us. We go in thinking we have a pretty good chance of winning and we get our asses kicked up and down the field. Think Minnesota last year, Vandy this year. They are big up front and will want to run right at us and they probably will. I want to think we will win this game but I just don't see it.

I tend to lean this way. The way we have stunk it up against vandy the last few years, make me think we will likely do the same against UK. Then there's the absolute ass kicking delivered by a bad utk team that will have the Wildcats ready to return the favor, and it's Senior Day to boot.

But then I get to thinking about the wins over Missouri and Syracuse on the road the previous two seasons. And there's the return trip to Maryland years back, after the win against the Terps in JRF the year before, thinking that a mad Maryland would kick our collective asses in revenge and the Raiders came out with another win. All this gives me some reason for hope.

How many Vol or Does fans come to our games anyway. I don't think it has as much impact as people think. If the game on west end was not happening the same day I bet it wouldn't amount to 30 additional MT fans showing up.
Very few Dores fans, they have similar problems we do. But when the Vols are on TV, many in our area make a date for it . Though now we also have the problem of other games, so many options starting at 11AM going deep into early Sunday AM.

I'm hoping for Chaos in the top 10 getting them into the playoffs. Im with Mike Leach, would love to see it expanded.

I'm torn on the playoff expansion.

If they expand just to squeeze another Georgia or some 2 loss Pac 12 team in - then i'd rather keep it the way it is.

If they expand it an include even 1 slot for a team like a UCF or Boise, then i'd be for it.

I still think a playoff with conference champs (give the higher seeded teams byes) is the best way to go. Still, the first time a North Texas gets in and a Texas gets left out, that system explodes.

Reactions: Predarat
I'm hoping for Chaos in the top 10 getting them into the playoffs. Im with Mike Leach, would love to see it expanded.

We need complete chaos. We need Bama to lose to UGA, Ohio St and Wash St to win out, WVU/Oklahoma to win out, Clemson to lose 1, Notre Dame to lose 1 and UCF to finish undefeated.

That’s a quality 8-team playoff, but let some of the big boys get left out and watch the crying begin. That’s the only way we get expansion. P5 won’t cry for UCF, but they would for Oklahoma, Ohio St or Alabama.

Reactions: Predarat
I'm torn on the playoff expansion.

If they expand just to squeeze another Georgia or some 2 loss Pac 12 team in - then i'd rather keep it the way it is.

If they expand it an include even 1 slot for a team like a UCF or Boise, then i'd be for it.

I still think a playoff with conference champs (give the higher seeded teams byes) is the best way to go. Still, the first time a North Texas gets in and a Texas gets left out, that system explodes.
Yes, 12 teams would do the trick, all 10 conference champions, plus 2 spots for Indy/Wildcards. Top 4 get first round byes. But yes if its just more of the same without including the 'other 5' then to hell with expansion.

We need complete chaos. We need Bama to lose to UGA, Ohio St and Wash St to win out, WVU/Oklahoma to win out, Clemson to lose 1, Notre Dame to lose 1 and UCF to finish undefeated.

That’s a quality 8-team playoff, but let some of the big boys get left out and watch the crying begin. That’s the only way we get expansion. P5 won’t cry for UCF, but they would for Oklahoma, Ohio St or Alabama.
That is what I am hoping for! Even that might not get them in but its their only real chance.

I tend to agree. An SEC offensive line that has been pretty good at pounding the ball with the run game, I'm not sure we are built to stop that. And if our offense doesn't get going (against a bigger program, it's shaky) the defense could be on the field a lot. Not a good recipe.

Now if our offense is clicking and we can soak up some time of possession, it very well could be a winnable game.

Caught coach stock video on UK game. He was completely clear on playing to win. This is a year that UK is a lot more difficult than in past years, but I still like the aggressive attitude of coach stock in approaching this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT