ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Vanderbilt agrees to a H & H series with...

That ncaa win must be paying some dividends with this kind of scheduling, not the previous 5 game series with one in murphy center, one in bridgestone and three at vandy...

Provides a nice addition to the home schedule for season ticket holders...

Last edited:
I hope we never play another series in bridgestone.

I have changed my mind on Bridgestone Arena. The MT fan turnout the last two games (two wins) has been good enough that I think we ought to try to play a game each year there. Enjoyed the heck out of the game with Auburn combined with a Predators hockey game later that day with several hours of being on lower broad and 2nd avenue and exploring all the stuff down town.

I have several thoughts:

Playing vanderbutt in bridgestone is just another home game for them and it's losing money to nashville.

I want to watch home games in Murphy Center.

I hate driving in downtown nashville AND paying for parking.

"Playing vanderbutt in bridgestone is just another home game for them"

It wasn't, what did vandy bring at most? A couple of hundred? But I agree. Vandy series should always be home and home (Murphy Center) - if a third game was included at Bridgestone, then I would be okay with that. And that's what I think other series with P5 programs could be. I think Auburn not coming to Murphy Center sucks and should never be agreed to again. But if p5 programs, mainly $ec programs want a game in Bridgestone before they come back for the $ec tournament, why not take advantage of it? Get a three game deal out of it home and home and bridgestone. It gets MT press, favorable press in the Nashville media - much more than a home game with that same team gets. It gives MT a higher profile in the midstate and a good recruiting tool for us.

We need growth playing and winning in Nashville helps that. I don't mind it at all but I hope in the future it's just a neutral site game and not our half of a home and home.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
If winning in Nashville helped attendance then TSU should have better attendance than MT...

WINNING helps attendance no matter where you play. Winning in the NCAA tourney helps attendance more.

Yeah nothing wrong with getting your name out there. Lots of tourists are in downtown, and it doesn't hurt having a group of MT fans wearing MT blue mixing in with all those out of towners. Nothing but positives with those games.

Kind of surprised to see this. Glad to see some respectable scheduling. Non-P5 programs typically have a real difficult time scheduling vs P5 programs when having a few seasons of decent success. You know, the old possibility of a loss vs a team that general fan perception has not caught up to present reality of on court success and quality. That seems to keep a lot of well known or P5 teams away for fear of actually losing to a perceived "lesser" team.

Perhaps there comes a time when a team starts to crossover from just a couple of years of good success to sustained success on more of a national stage that helps general fans' perception catch up? After a few of those type of years, maybe that success and changing perceptions starts to open up P5 teams' willingness to schedule said teams. I don't know if the Vandy scheduling is related to MT's success. MT is pretty much in uncharted territory here. At least MT is in uncharted territory in my 20 years of following MT bball. Generally speaking, it's not too far outside the realm of reasonable thinking that MT just might be crossing over that hump of success and casual fans' perceptions to where P5 teams might consider scheduling MT for reasonably good ooc competition and strength of schedule. Afterall that is usually a knock on P5 teams trying to get an at-large bid, did they have a good ooc strength of schedule and ooc quality wins.

Great news. So basically we picked up a home game with Vandy instead of a Birmingham game with Auburn for this season.

At this point I guess we can safely assume our OOC schedule includes:

Vandy
TSU
at Belmont
Murray State
at VCU
Georgia State
South Dakota State

I can't remember for sure if the GSU and SDSU agreements were for multiple games but I assume they were. Don't think we would have gone those places without return games.

Love the Vandy fan comment that if you have never been to the Murphy Center you will really appreciate Memorial gym. To me, Memorial is like watching a game at a 4-way intersection. Yes, it has some history but never felt it was a great arena. And, I am sure they will pack our arena (sarcasm on) since they couldn't bring more than a few hundred to Bridgestone only a few miles from their compound.

Love the Vandy fan comment that if you have never been to the Murphy Center you will really appreciate Memorial gym. To me, Memorial is like watching a game at a 4-way intersection. Yes, it has some history but never felt it was a great arena. And, I am sure they will pack our arena (sarcasm on) since they couldn't bring more than a few hundred to Bridgestone only a few miles from their compound.

I've been to both. Memorial is not only old, but it feels old when you enter the gym. Such weird seating arrangements if you are not on the ground floor. Hard to watch from anywhere but there. In the Murph we have new seating and lighting throughout. We have updated and other than the concourse area it feels new. Much more traditional basketball arena now. Would rather watch a game at the Murph.

Great news. So basically we picked up a home game with Vandy instead of a Birmingham game with Auburn for this season.

At this point I guess we can safely assume our OOC schedule includes:

Vandy
TSU
at Belmont
Murray State
at VCU
Georgia State
South Dakota State

I can't remember for sure if the GSU and SDSU agreements were for multiple games but I assume they were. Don't think we would have gone those places without return games.

So we go back on the road to GSU and SDSU again, shouldn't they come to our place?

In a perfect world looking as I do through my blue-tinted glasses I would like to see MT have at least two high-profile (P5 or VCU type) home games each year with all contracts being H & H (although one or two neutral court games in addition are acceptable in the contract). But, accepting where we are in the college BkB landscape I am surprised and excited to see this series with VU.

Since the last BkB 3-1-1 contract with VU which was signed 8-10 years ago MT has secured an even FB series with the Dores; we have had a 5 year run of success where our RPI has become much more acceptable to opponents; we have had a series of wins against P5 schools; and Oh Yeah, we beat the Dores in our last contest.

Regardless, we still need the $$$s a lop-sided contract with a P-5 can provide. Gotta be other factors entering into this contract, on both sides???

Now THIS thread is more what I expected

And the racist claims by one vandy fan are ridiculous. A whole lot of projection going on with one particular VU clown. The only time I have heard any fan, any where in any sports venue was in the vandy football stadium years ago when one of Bear Bryant's teams was stomping their usual mudhole in the commode odors and late in the game one vandy fan six or seven rows down in front of me was screaming the N word with a lot of other expletives quite liberally towards one of the vanderbilt players. I could hear him because there was only dozen or so vandy fans left in the entire section when this occurred. Me and another guy (a utk fan) had stayed because we wanted to see how many points Alabama would score against the hapless vandy team.

Last edited:
There seems to be a little sense at least among a few of them in that UK fans are about the worst.

I don't know if any of you caught it, but this is not H & H according to Davis. He mentioned on Pogue's recent interview that next year is in The Murph (date still to be determined) and MT will go to West End the next two years.

1 for 2 is probably the best we can expect from VU at this time (and is much better IMHO than the last 3-1-1 series with the Dores).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT