ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Thoughts on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday games in 2023?

First off, 100% for them. Even better that we have Oct when the weather is better than the MAC has in November. Should help student turnout which is a major thing we need to build future $ contributing alumni.

For the games themselves, WKU should probably be 2-2. They have USF, Houston Bap, OH St, Troy. I think we can take them this year, but can and will are two different things. Reed is back so it won't be easy....Edit...forgot this was away!

JSU should be 2-3, maybe 3-2. They have UTEP, ETSU, Coastal Car, E Mich, SHSU before us. This isn't a gimme game at all. It shouldn't be a question but one thing about Rich Rod is that he isn't afraid to throw something crazy in and we don't historically adjust well to something different. It honestly would not surprise me to see JSU or SHSU like JMU last year in the Sunbelt, being in the champ game if it wasn't for stupid NCAA rules.

LaT should be 3-4. They have FIU, SMU, NW St, UNT, Nebraska, UTEP, WKU. We should win this game.

I don't think many will be at JSU because people just don't know who they are. LaT is a bit better. We should be 5-2, 4-3 at worst by the end of October. Somehow beating Liberty and being 6-2 for the bye would be awesome.

Last edited:
I don't like mid week games however I understand they are trying to gain more exposure. Unfortunately we start with WKU on the road. This will be another blowout loss to our hated rival. The TV cameras will show Stock on the sideline looking lost as ever. We come home for the next two and I'm hoping we can split. The last week game is at Liberty so we will be embarrassed again on TV.
By then we should be well out of the running for the conference championship.
Go Blue

Great! We cannot compete with the Saturday clash of the titans. Mid-week games will be the way to get great exposure for programs at our level.

I see no downside at this point. If we ever become really good, then maybe it’s an issue, but until then…

Great! We cannot compete with the Saturday clash of the titans. Mid-week games will be the way to get great exposure for programs at our level.

I see no downside at this point. If we ever become really good, then maybe it’s an issue, but until then…
Wonder which stations will cover them.. ESPN 2, or the U, maybe?

Agree 100%

I'm ok with it.

Should help student attendance, but it will make it a challenge for families (especially families commuting from outside Murfreesboro).

There's not a "easy answer" to MT's woes at the box office. Sure, they could fire Stock, but how do you pay buyout? Increase at the box office won't cover it.

Play games on T/W/TR may encourage students to go games, but makes it difficult for commuters / parking.

Play games on Saturday may help tailgaters, but the suitcase students are home doing laundry.

No easy solution.

But a combination of all of the above may help.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
The new media pkg is not the best the G5 has to offer, but it does represent the best monetary payout CUSA has had in a number of years. An analogy for this year's media pkg for CUSA would be along the lines of MT having a 10-3 football season. Something of a total surprise compared to past records. Since the Tues/Wed/Thur format plays a huge role in that payout, put me down as a big yes despite some disadvantages for some fans. Also, it's not like we had a lot of games in October with 25,000 fans in attendance anyway. Even if the crowds are a bit smaller honestly there's not much difference between 8,500 in attendance vs 11,000 or so. So I vote take the money, & the bit of exposure that comes with it.
BTW does anyone know if or how this knew contract will carry over into basketball season? Will we get Tues/Wed/Thur games for basketball season as well?

I'm ok with it.

Should help student attendance, but it will make it a challenge for families (especially families commuting from outside Murfreesboro).

There's not a "easy answer" to MT's woes at the box office. Sure, they could fire Stock, but how do you pay buyout? Increase at the box office won't cover it.

Play games on T/W/TR may encourage students to go games, but makes it difficult for commuters / parking.

Play games on Saturday may help tailgaters, but the suitcase students are home doing laundry.

No easy solution.

But a combination of all of the above may help.
I realize we cannot afford to buy Stock out, but is there no way to end the automatic extensions? It's a vicious cycle that will never end.

Last edited:
The new media pkg is not the best the G5 has to offer, but it does represent the best monetary payout CUSA has had in a number of years. An analogy for this year's media pkg for CUSA would be along the lines of MT having a 10-3 football season. Something of a total surprise compared to past records. Since the Tues/Wed/Thur format plays a huge role in that payout, put me down as a big yes despite some disadvantages for some fans. Also, it's not like we had a lot of games in October with 25,000 fans in attendance anyway. Even if the crowds are a bit smaller honestly there's not much difference between 8,500 in attendance vs 11,000 or so. So I vote take the money, & the bit of exposure that comes with it.
BTW does anyone know if or how this knew contract will carry over into basketball season? Will we get Tues/Wed/Thur games for basketball season as well?
I tell ya, Ole Judy gave me a major surprise with this new deal. On par and in some years will be more than the current MAC/SBC deals. I'll absolutely give kudos for it.

As for basketball games, I don't think there is a weekday agreement. CBSSN will show 18 games, ESPN/2/U will show minimum 5.

Football will have 18 on CBSSN and ESPN/2/U will have 8, all weekday.

CBSSN has 1st choice (Tier 1), as well as all championship games. (BBall semis too) ALL other games will be on ESPN+ and there only. Finally. No more some on Stadium, some E+, some CUSATV.

I realize we cannot afford to buy Stock out, but is there no way to end the automatic extensions? It's a vicious cycle that will never end.
I'm not a lawyer, but...

As I understand it, no.

Any adjustment to the existing contract would require a new contract.

EDITING FOR CLARIFICATION : This is my speculation but it's highly unlikely Stock would agree to a new contract.

Last edited:
The crazy part is it’s almost like Chris is trying to make the schedule so hard that Rick cannot get to 6 wins. Some how though, he does it all the time. We’ve got a lot of P5 teams lined up.

The crazy part is it’s almost like Chris is trying to make the schedule so hard that Rick cannot get to 6 wins. Some how though, he does it all the time. We’ve got a lot of P5 teams lined up.
We for sure do the next two years.

@ Ole Miss
@ Duke
Then also @ Memphis
No FCS lined up yet

@ Wisconsin
Duke at home
Then Marshall at home
Austin Peay as FCS

Duke games are winnable. Ole Miss will be extremely tough and I dare say by year three Fickel will have Wisconsin rolling.

I reviewed a Lindy's magazine for schedules of G5 teams & conferences a few weeks ago comparing other schools schedule making. A number of
G5's have smartly reduced there payoff scheduling to a maximum of 1 P5 school, & some none at all. That alludes to the strength in the foundation of their programs, & the developing weakness in ours.

I'm not a lawyer, but...

As I understand it, no.

Any adjustment to the existing contract would require a new contract.

EDITING FOR CLARIFICATION : This is my speculation but it's highly unlikely Stock would agree to a new contract.

This is what demonstrates total incompetence by our leadership. Those auto extensions in the previous contract were capped at five years. Somehow after those caps are reached Stock magically ends up with a new contract that not only makes those auto extensions granted for perpetuity they lowered the standard from 7 back to 6 wins.

And they did this knowing full well this particular aspect of the contract was what had driven most of the fanbase away. Yet they did it again anyway with an even more mediocre requirement to achieve it. Thus...1,684 days and counting.

I hope that is exactly what Chris is doing.

But it's not. When that new contract (which they obviously did in secret and didn't announce it to anyone) had to be redone it could have been addressed then. But M&M lowered the expectations.

The schedule is getting harder because no one is coming to games and there's no revenue.

Ya know, they changed it this year. It used to be at the True Blue BRAA level you got a FB parking pass in Greenland for your game of choice without buying season tickets.

Now to get a pass you have to get season tickets. Could still probably ask Lee or Hans and get hooked up but for folks like me that live out of state and drive in for no more that one game a year usually, kind of annoying.

Ya know, they changed it this year. It used to be at the True Blue BRAA level you got a FB parking pass in Greenland for your game of choice without buying season tickets.

Now to get a pass you have to get season tickets. Could still probably ask Lee or Hans and get hooked up but for folks like me that live out of state and drive in for no more that one game a year usually, kind of annoying.
Just park at Walnut Grove and walk. It’s not far at all

Reactions: Hop45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT