ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Thoughts on This?

In all honesty if we beat who we should and split the WKU/Liberty games, there is a possibility we slide in to the champ game.

I certainly hope the OL will be a surprise. Even marginal improvement would be great. I'd love for Peasant to hit 1k yards though. He had 777 last year. Our last 1k rusher was Mathers in '16 when we finished 8-5.

And Jeff picking UTEP...talk about left field.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
In all honesty if we beat who we should and split the WKU/Liberty games, there is a possibility we slide in to the champ game.

I certainly hope the OL will be a surprise. Even marginal improvement would be great. I'd love for Peasant to hit 1k yards though. He had 777 last year. Our last 1k rusher was Mathers in '16 when we finished 8-5.

Haha. Yeah, I’m not buying UTEP as runner up

Reactions: MidTennMtneer

Phil Steele predicted UTEP as runner up.

Man I keep seeing this hype for WKU. Do they return a ton of guys or get some wild transfers? Whats behind it?

Man I keep seeing this hype for WKU. Do they return a ton of guys or get some wild transfers? Whats behind it?
I'm guessing mainly the fact that Reed came back (due to NIL $). They do have a new OC but he's an Air Raid Leach protégé so they are expecting big things.

Reactions: ewglenn
UTEP will be one of the best along both lines (best OLine for sure). They have a veteran QB with veteran skill players. They are expecting them to make a big jump. I don’t buy it.

WKU’s hype is all based on Reed. I agree with that and they would be my pick to win. Liberty’s independent sports website ASOR reached out for my view on ranking CUSA this year. This is what I sent them.

“1) WKU 7-1
2) Liberty 6-2
3) MTSU 5-3
4) SHSU 5-3
5) Louisiana Tech 4-4
6) UTEP 3-5
7) NMSU 3-5
8) JSU 2-6
9) FIU 1-7

As much as it pains me to say it, I think WKU is the best team and will win the conference. I am high on SHSU and could easily see them end up at 2nd. Middle should be in the top 4 and Liberty will be contending for a title just on talent and coaching. NMSU is the biggest wildcard in my opinion. I could see them with a ceiling of 5-3 or a floor of 1-7. Louisiana Tech will be explosive but give up some big plays. The others might surprise in a game or two but I don’t expect much out of them. 1 through 5 have a shot at a title but the others do not.”

Reactions: Noogaraider1
UTEP will be one of the best along both lines (best OLine for sure). They have a veteran QB with veteran skill players. They are expecting them to make a big jump. I don’t buy it.

WKU’s hype is all based on Reed. I agree with that and they would be my pick to win. Liberty’s independent sports website ASOR reached out for my view on ranking CUSA this year. This is what I sent them.

“1) WKU 7-1
2) Liberty 6-2
3) MTSU 5-3
4) SHSU 5-3
5) Louisiana Tech 4-4
6) UTEP 3-5
7) NMSU 3-5
8) JSU 2-6
9) FIU 1-7

As much as it pains me to say it, I think WKU is the best team and will win the conference. I am high on SHSU and could easily see them end up at 2nd. Middle should be in the top 4 and Liberty will be contending for a title just on talent and coaching. NMSU is the biggest wildcard in my opinion. I could see them with a ceiling of 5-3 or a floor of 1-7. Louisiana Tech will be explosive but give up some big plays. The others might surprise in a game or two but I don’t expect much out of them. 1 through 5 have a shot at a title but the others do not.”
Good thoughts there. I agree SHSU has the ability but their schedule is tough for a first year. Their first three games are BYU, Air Force, and Houston.

NMSU by far has the easiest schedule. Not a single P5. Neither does Liberty.

WKU has Ohio St and Troy before us.

I still think it's down to WKU or Liberty but don't count out us. We are favored in every conference game except WKU and Liberty. If we win what we are supposed to and split those two, we would be 7-1. No complaints there. But that is a tall order because we always lose one we should win.

Reactions: ewglenn
Good thoughts there. I agree SHSU has the ability but their schedule is tough for a first year. Their first three games are BYU, Air Force, and Houston.

NMSU by far has the easiest schedule. Not a single P5. Neither does Liberty.

WKU has Ohio St and Troy before us.

I still think it's down to WKU or Liberty but don't count out us. We are favored in every conference game except WKU and Liberty. If we win what we are supposed to and split those two, we would be 7-1. No complaints there. But that is a tall order because we always lose one we should win.
Honestly SHSU starting out like that worries me even more. They will be fully battle tested when they roll into conference play (same could be said for us but we’re Middle). I expect they will get a win out of those three. 8-4 is a real possibility imo. I think realistically 6-6 but I won’t be surprised if they come out near or at the top.

if MT cannot finally field the best team in it's conference and win a championship this year then it's time to call it quits.

CUSA is clearly the weakest FBS conference, and has 2 brand new FBS members to boot. If not now, then it's never.

Stockstill, Massaro, and McPhee have had ample time to build a program and bring some championships home. Too many chances if you ask me. They just can't get it done.

Either fire everyone and start over (and McPhee can fire himself too), or just shut it all down and put all the money into men's basketball. At least they have won some championships and represented our university appropriately in recent memory.

WKU and Liberty will likely be the best teams in the conference (and it probably won't be close).

UTEP, MT, LaTech will probably fight for 4-6 (with someone like NMSU, JSU, or SHSU playing role of spoiler).

The trouble with projecting in the NIL / portal day that we live is that the roster turns over so much so it's REALLY hard to project unless - by some miracle - a G5 returns its core, HC, etc.

if MT cannot finally field the best team in it's conference and win a championship this year then it's time to call it quits.

CUSA is clearly the weakest FBS conference, and has 2 brand new FBS members to boot. If not now, then it's never.

Stockstill, Massaro, and McPhee have had ample time to build a program and bring some championships home. Too many chances if you ask me. They just can't get it done.

Either fire everyone and start over (and McPhee can fire himself too), or just shut it all down and put all the money into men's basketball. At least they have won some championships and represented our university appropriately in recent memory.
WKU has an NFL talent at QB and Liberty is stacked across the board. Saying it’s championship or bust is going to result in a bust more than likely for you. If we’re not at least in the hunt for the top two spots in November I’ll be disappointed.

WKU has an NFL talent at QB

I don't know about that. Maybe an UDFA or late round pick at best. Probably more of a system QB and as such likely has the best season in the league because they have the best skill players and a decent OL.

I don't know about that. Maybe an UDFA or late round pick at best. Probably more of a system QB and as such likely has the best season in the league because they have the best skill players and a decent OL.
Early day three projection in the link below so he likely goes in the 4th or 5th round imo (assuming he has a good year). I highly doubt he doesn’t get picked. Not sure what you consider late round but for me I think maybe 6th definitely 7th. Either way he will easily be the best qb in our conference. 6’2 and 220 so he has a decent build for a NFL qb.

That's quite a cherry pick there. He's not on a lot of boards right now.

it will be Liberty who lost a lot players, coaches and that high powered offense. Chadwell we will see how good that offense is without McCall. WKU lost a lot of guys as well, yes they brought in some guys that didn't play much from P5's. MT is the wildcard can Stock get his head out his ass and coach MT to a Conference Title. Show some passion.

Been gone for a bit, does any one know where same Houston, liberty, and jax state are located? I pieced the others ones together on my own. Thanks!

Been gone for a bit, does any one know where same Houston, liberty, and jax state are located? I pieced the others ones together on my own. Thanks!
Sam Houston is in Huntsville, TX
Liberty in Lynchburg, VA
Jax in Jacksonville, AL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT