ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the new boards?

C-Bow

Hall of Famer
Staff
Dec 5, 2005
www.gomiddle.com
Looking for some feedback from you guys here. What are your thoughts on the new layout? What do you like about it? What dislikes do you have?

Naturally it's going to take some getting used to, but personally I'm very excited about the changes. Take a minute to deep dive into some of the new features. With the integration of social media, ability to private message as well as get thread notifications, I'm really digging it!

Looks fine to me. I'm sure we'll all need a little bit of an adjustment period, but so far so good.

Quoted comments are a little weird, only showing the quote not the new comment unless I click on it, but I am sure I will adjust.

Suggest you add a second date line to the front page discription that has the lastest posting date. That will let one know if there is a new posting.

Never mind, I looked to the right and there it is!!!

Sorry, taking a little to get adjusted.

I'm not seeing the go to the next or previous thread button :eek:

Will not miss the thread view option. Used the topic view almost exclusively on the old format on occasions something would happen and I would get the thread view, always switched back. There's some things I see I still haven't explored yet.

Like you can share/tweet the page/thread...

Like that you can 'like' a post.

The color and font size work!

I like that you can still copy/paste a link directly, like this from the main rivals board: click HERE for the Help Section and you’ll find a list of "How To" topics (titles starting with the word HELP in each one.)

this is a pretty good breakdown of the new features:

Here's some of the new features...

• Better media embedding so you can share pictures, videos, tweets, vines, Instagram, Youtube videos, etc.
  • Private messaging for both users and the staff to contact you when you've been bad. This is a premium only option.
  • Mobile experience is nearly identical to the desktop version so links and media will be much easier to share and you can use other features like "ignore" and private messaging.
  • User profiles are easy to create and view.
  • Email notifications when people respond to your posts or when there are new posts to any thread you choose to "watch".
  • Copying and pasting most web pages will now appear correctly in your messages.
  • Polls can be posted on the top or sides of the board.
  • Archives of past messages could go back years.
  • Ability to share posts or threads via social media.
  • A "like" feature so you people can let you know what they think of your posts without the former star rankings, which people abused.
  • You can use the @ symbol before a person's username and they will receive an alert that you're trying to talk with them.
  • Preview posts before posting them live.
  • "Warn" button so you can alert mods to abusive posts or simply to cause problems for people that have different views from your own.
  • When you reply to a message it will automatically quote the text from the message your responding to. This will help eliminate the problem of people struggling to follow a conversation.
  • Multi-quotes so you can respond to multiple messages at once.
  • Spoiler option so you can hide certain texts if you don't want to give away the final score of a game or ending to show or movie.
  • More smilies and emjois.
  • You can exit the board before submitting a new post and when you return you can continue the message where you left off.
  • You can search individual threads, the current forum you're using or all forums on the site. You can also search for users, search by date and more.
  • When you open a thread that you've previously read it will auto-scroll to the new messages you haven't seen.
  • Better avatars and you will see them on the front page of the forum for who started the thread and if you responded it will also show you your pic so you can easily pick out your threads.
  • You earn points for likes, quality posts, etc.
  • You can drag pictures from anywhere on the Internet and drop them into your posts. You can also copy and paste images from the internet.
  • Use permalink (small icon on each message at the bottom right hand side) to link directly to a post on a thread. By clicking the icon you can also choose to share the direct link to one of your social media accounts.

Reactions: C-Bow
I really like the new format. I had an issue yesterday where it kept saying that I needed to validate my email address but Rivals fixed that.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Absolutely JDB!

I'm really liking this new format. Gonna take us all some getting used to but I think it's very futuristic and will stay relevant for years to come.

Also, there's a new front page look coming down the pipeline too. And pretty soon, the whole site will have a new look and feel. Can't wait for that either!

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Not liking it at the moment. Everytime I try and click on a thread to post from my mobile device, it kicks me to a different college rivals website. Tried it 8 different times and got 8 different colleges. This sucks because 90% of the time I post from my phone.

Hmmm I'll run that up because I'm in the same boat as you in terms of using my phone but I'm not having that issue. Try clearing your browser cache on your device in the meantime.

Hmmm I'll run that up because I'm in the same boat as you in terms of using my phone but I'm not having that issue. Try clearing your browser cache on your device in the meantime.

Casey,

Please contact me as soon as possible to assist me with activating my old account. I have created "Sam Davis" as a temporary account until my old account (bigbadjohn45) can be restored. Please email me at: samueldavis925@yahoo.com. Thanks, Casey.

--BBJ

Not liking it at the moment. Everytime I try and click on a thread to post from my mobile device, it kicks me to a different college rivals website. Tried it 8 different times and got 8 different colleges. This sucks because 90% of the time I post from my phone.

I have the same issue with my android. Can't really click links. Can't move the cursor to try to edit posts. On the bright side I know a lot more about Bama and Maryland...

I enzymes

I emailed you BBJ.

Casey,

Another issue I've noticed: whenever I attempt to post an article that's fairly lengthy, I receive an error message, "Please enter a message with no more than 10000 characters."

Can this be corrected, or are we now only allowed to post articles that are shorter in nature?

My recommendation would be to post an excerpt of the article with a link to the whole thing. Most places frown upon their entire article being posted but are OK with excerpts. I wasn't aware of any character limits though so I'll check around.

My recommendation would be to post an excerpt of the article with a link to the whole thing. Most places frown upon their entire article being posted but are OK with excerpts. I wasn't aware of any character limits though so I'll check around.

Casey, sure, let us know what you find out. No problem. I do remember that, before migration to the new format, we were allowed to post articles--irregardless of length. Thanks again.

--BBJ

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT