ADVERTISEMENT

TENNIS: MT Advances

I'd like solid reasoning on why as a one seed we didn't host. We lost the doubles by losing two tiebreakers and had a few other close singles matches. ANY of those swing the other way were on to the sweet sixteen. Getting a #1 seed while playing at the 2 seeds home courts doesn't seem right.

In order to host an NCAA tournament match you must submit an application, For some reason this was not done….
Well, since you brought this up. We were there for both matches. For reasons that made zero sense, NC State hosted 4-game pods in both mens & womens. They had 6 outdoor courts, which was fine Friday, as the weather was clear.
Saturday’s forecast was for a decent chance of rain mid to late afternoon. Their indoor courts only have 4 playable.
The match began Saturday at 5:45 pm EST.
Ended around 11:15 pm EST. Inside due to rain.
We ran into one of the NCAA officials at dinner afterwards. This person volunteered something similar to what you are saying. In affect, we waited until after we won the Conf USA tourney to submit the paperwork.
Supposedly NC St submitted theirs prior to that. In this officials mind, we were too late.
I’m not buying nor selling and am NOT stating this as fact or what actually transpired. Just a random encounter with someone supposedly in the know.
I just know this team had performed remarkably well all season, and as a #16 seed, deserved to have the home court advantage for both 1st & 2nd round matches.
Think about this: of the 4 teams in the pod, the highest seed (us) had to travel the furthest (8+ hours ) to get to Raleigh. Liberty (2.5 hours) and UNC Wilmington (2 hours).
Coach Jimmy B gave us a reason to believe MT can compete Top 30-40 each and every year!

Wonder if there is a possibility they didn't want to host until the new outdoor facility is done? Show it off and have great indoor and outdoor courts. A risk yes but one hopes we can build on this year and keep the train rolling.

In order to host an NCAA tournament match you must submit an application, For some reason this was not done….
This is so Middle it truly hurts…. Could we possibly be more inept in that office. I’ll wait.

Our teams deserve so much better, all of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: MT Glenn
I firmly believe, after hearing how the NC State crowd was such a plus for them, we would have won had we hosted... I don't know for sure our hosting was lack of effort on our end...
But if it was...
HEADS SHOULD ROLL....
Is there a way to confirm the ineptness of the Athletic Department in this instance...

Reactions: Hop45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT