ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Still No Press Conference

TrueBlue147

All Conference
Mar 19, 2008
Are they not going to do the season opening press conference for basketball this year?

It is my contention that CNM is a little behind the learning curve when it comes to PR here at MT. Sure, MT is not UNC or Duke etc etc, but MT is not UNC-Asheville either. With all the tremendous success and growing fanbase in recent years, a certain amount of communicating with the fans or public was maintained. Of course, Kermit was fairly natural at it. CNM seems intelligent and articulate who appears more than capable, but I do not know if he is aware of the need for at least a moderate flow of information.

Reactions: blueraiderland
McDevitt and staff really needs to step up their twitter game. Interaction with fans is an important part of keeping a fan base engaged and building a fan base. You can't just "coach basketball" anymore you have to engage fans, especially at our level. I can't believe its not required as part of the position, but that doesn't surprise me with our leadership.

Can't remember from years past but is it a dual press conference with CRI? Has CRI done a press conference yet?
McDevitt and staff really needs to step up their twitter game. Interaction with fans is an important part of keeping a fan base engaged and building a fan base. You can't just "coach basketball" anymore you have to engage fans, especially at our level. I can't believe its not required as part of the position, but that doesn't surprise me with our leadership.
This couldn't be more true especially with the younger crowd as they receive all news through social media. Got to keep the momentum going from the previous years and trying to grow the fan base/ getting the students involved. This season is going to be rough we all know that. However what is CNM doing to grow the brand as CKD said in years past, keeping the fan base informed is the first step in growing the brand.

Yeah I believe the last few years it has been both teams at the same time, one after the other.

I don't remember much about pre-season press conferences. Living as I do out of Rutherford Co. I would have had no interest in such an event since they are, or at least IMHO, primarily for the media. That said, since we have so few media outlets who visit MT for such events it seems somewhat superfluous. Just get the latest DNJ "Beat" writer, Monte Hale, Jr., Chip, and Palmer to sit around a table drinking coffee and discuss the players, opponents, etc. with the coaches. The media present would get just as much, or more, as from any press conference.

I do, however, wonder just what happened to the "kickoffs" we have had for the last few years. A good time, entertaining and a couple of good speakers (Loved having DickieV on campus). IMHO that was an important event to introduce new players, hear just a little from the coaches, watch a few fun events (Who would have been the Dunk champion now that Antwain Johnson is gone?) and get the fans enthusiastic for the season. Gotta think the Davis had more than just a little to do with organizing those events and now that he's gone??? Additionally, do you suppose the elimination of the event is one more indication of the financial problems in the athletic dept.?

Went to the open practice before the football game. There is some good talent sitting out this year in Jones and Dishman.

Crump is a lot bigger/stronger than I realized. Scurry certainly looks like he will be a significant piece.

Turnout for the event was OK I guess, wasn’t sure what to expect.

Going to be an interesting season.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Went to the open practice before the football game. There is some good talent sitting out this year in Jones and Dishman.

Crump is a lot bigger/stronger than I realized. Scurry certainly looks like he will be a significant piece.

Turnout for the event was OK I guess, wasn’t sure what to expect.

Going to be an interesting season.

Thanks for the report. I was just planning to ask for a report from someone who attended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT