ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Show of hands….

I say MAC unless this whole 25-year GOR commitment thing is real. I have a lot of reservations about that. And I’ve seen where supposedly it could be 15, but that’s still too long. MT shouldn’t be committing to anything more than 5 years, or maybe 10 if there’s a revenue stream guarantee. I haven’t had the time to really dig in but that appears to be a sticking point of sorts.

If it’s real, I don’t have a problem staying in CUSA short term and stacking checks for the program in the meantime. And if the end game really is a path to the AAC, this is the most viable way to stay, well, viable, IMO.

MAC.

New CUSA is horrible and I see no path to belt or AAC in the foreseeable future. Rebuilding this program is a 5-10 year process that can only begin when Stock leaves, and who knows when that happens.

CUSA, if we are serious about building new football facilities we do not need to. pay a big exit fee and forfeit our share of revenue that will be coming into our current conference when the other 9 teams leave. The Mac would be a big step down for our spring sports.

Reactions: RaidRRick
Without hesitation, the Mid American Conference.

I offer my letter grades on the new C-USA:

Liberty University: C. Best overall of the group. Newer facilities and commitment. OK fit.

New Mexico State: C minus. Was 15-11 in the Sun Belt in football during their first stint; been a good basketball school in the distant past. Only one bowl date since 1960 and five winning seasons since 1967, IIRC. FBS History gives a little credibility. Decent choice.

Sam Houston State: D minus graded on a curve. By virtue of a recent FCS National Championship. Maybe earning a better grade if C-USA wasn’t imploded; conference didn’t need this addition.

Jacksonville State: BUZZ! Try again, Judy. Might as well be insert a community college here. Needed James Madison to garner a C, maybe C plus. Coaxing UL Monroe to the fold from Sun Belt for bonus points!

Adding UCONN in all sports would have earned a B. Keeping both USM and Marshall would have earned an A. With retaining UAB to the above and UCONN: A plus

The four team composite addition equals failure of the course. Repeat the conference administration course, Judy.

SEC. We are only … 50,000 steps away.

MAC.

96 L’s
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLL

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I don’t want MAC at all. I am curious what made Liberty change their mind.

I wonder how many CUSA folks change their mind if WKU goes and we don’t.
Absolute worst of all possible scenarios. That would sentence us to life in FBS prison for a first degree "little middle" decision. Our only chance of parole from C-USA would then be Atlantic Sun or the Ohio Valley Conference because no FBS conference would ever want us anymore.

Time to proceed signing with the MAC immediately!

Absolute worst of all possible scenarios. That would sentence us to life in FBS prison for a first degree "little middle" decision. Our only chance of parole from C-USA would then be Atlantic Sun or the Ohio Valley Conference because no FBS conference would ever want us anymore.

Time to proceed signing with the MAC immediately!
Good post. Well thought out without irrational emotional baggage.

To back out of this at the last minute would be a disaster. EKU would go D-1 and join the MAC in a heartbeat.

I'm at the point where I can't distinguish any of these G5 conferences. I just want a home where we don't get left out to dry.

And boy are in a position to get left out to dry. Too many items outside of our control would need to fall into place and I do not trust leadership.

I vote to join the MAC.

I wonder how many CUSA folks change their mind if WKU goes and we don’t.

Doesn't seem ideal at first glance, but if our goal is ultimately the SBC/AAC, having WKU gone and locked into a GOR in the MAC makes us a much more likely selection.

I know that CM has been in contact with AAC leadership. I also know he has been in discussions with the Sun Belt. He has been one of the proponents previously pushing for a merger/reorganization between C-USA and the Sun Belt. I realize that everyone thinks that CM is incompetent. And yeah he got fleeced pretty hard by Stockstills agent. But I believe it’s more McPhee and a matter of complacency with CM (which if McPhee was your boss you would probably have packed it in too). Just remember that it was CM that wanted Odom not McDevitt. And he has seen the change coming where Sun Belt and C-USA could have been more viable in regionally organized conferences.

I would also toss out to consider the prospect that he knows where we would fit in the pecking order with both leagues should either have to add again down the line. If that was already known to be a hard no then I think the MAC invite would probably be accepted in a split second. Given a positive reaction from that question future membership by either AAC or SBC plus the GOR issue with the MAC could be enough give CM pause. That said the final decision is going to be McPhee’s and I wouldn’t trust him to find his way out of a wet paper bag. I am optimistic about future potential options but it’s negated by my pessimism about McPhee ever making the right decision. Like I said before I hope we luck into one here.

I know that CM has been in contact with AAC leadership. I also know he has been in discussions with the Sun Belt. He has been one of the proponents previously pushing for a merger/reorganization between C-USA and the Sun Belt. I realize that everyone thinks that CM is incompetent. And yeah he got fleeced pretty hard by Stockstills agent. But I believe it’s more McPhee and a matter of complacency with CM (which if McPhee was your boss you would probably have packed it in too). Just remember that it was CM that wanted Odom not McDevitt. And he has seen the change coming where Sun Belt and C-USA could have been more viable in regionally organized conferences.

I would also toss out to consider the prospect that he knows where we would fit in the pecking order with both leagues should either have to add again down the line. If that was already known to be a hard no then I think the MAC invite would probably be accepted in a split second. Given a positive reaction from that question future membership by either AAC or SBC plus the GOR issue with the MAC could be enough give CM pause. That said the final decision is going to be McPhee’s and I wouldn’t trust him to find his way out of a wet paper bag. I am optimistic about future potential options but it’s negated by my pessimism about McPhee ever making the right decision. Like I said before I hope we luck into one here.

I really hope you are right. Would I prefer the AAC money over MAC, yeah. Will their next deal by $7m/school, probably not. But will still be more than any other G5 and should offset the larger travel expenses (compared to MAC).

I'm glad you don't trust McPhee. I have mixed feelings on CM but I appreciate your feelings on him. What worries me is Judy. I totally do not trust that we will see any of that money. And if we don't, I'm worried we will be stuck in purgatory of CUSA.

If we do get money, and the admin uses it right, it truly could be a game changer as I have no doubt the AAC will back fill when Memphis leaves for the B12.

I truly hope that you are right. I absolutely applaud your passion for MT and respect that and hope we do grow. I also hope if we don't take MAC now it is a thought out process with the vetting you mention of possibilities. I don't want us saying no now and 5 years down the road get passed up again and wishing we took MAC now.

CUSA Leadership is abysmal and I cannot, in a clear mind, support the INEPTNESS of them...
Because of this & the MAC stability, going North is my choice... I know there are drawbacks... but... the MAC stability, IMO, provides us the chance to overcome the MAJOR CLUSTER of an Administration we have...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT