ADVERTISEMENT

Riverdale's Alexa Middleton choses the Urenge over Ole Miss . . .

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
. . . according to a report in this morning's Tennessean.

For several years the mid-state high school POY has come from either Rutherford Co. (Middleton, Barbee) or just across the line at Wilson Central (Hassell) yet we have been unable to lure any of the three to play at MT. At least, IIRC, both Barbee and Hassell considered the Blue Raiders. Middleton committed very early and based on reports MT was never "in on" her.

Wish Insell could break in on the "elite" players he promised so often early in his tenure.

After watching Riverdale in the state tournament, I think we got a really good one in Olivia Jones. Not sure which one will end up being a better college player but maybe we are better off with both Jones and Petty vs. Middleton. That team was so talented I am not sure who will be the best "get" in the long run.

I've never seen them play but it's my understanding that Jones, after committing, was increasingly being recruited by programs from higher-profile conferences during her sr. year. To her credit, and possibly Insell's recruiting ability, she stuck to her committment.

I'm hoping she will, indeed, turn out to be a huge "get" for the program.

Got to remember that some of these players have stars in their eyes and dreams of playing at UT or UConn that have been the dominant programs in years past. No amount of time or effort will change their mind if the right program finally offers them. Many times the local university is thought of as being a step down from others simply due to the fact of the familiarity with the university and the local environment.

Many times these athletes go to the "higher" level university only to ride the bench and see themselves get "recruited over". Not saying that this will happen in this case by any means. It is dissappointing, though, that some don't have the vision, courage, and/or guts to take it upon themselves to be a program changer. Why go to UT and hope for playing time when you could come to MT and fight for a starting position right away? We will play and schedule the bigger named opponents. You will get your opportunity to show your ability on the court. Look to make a difference and leave a legacy instead of being a small fish in a bigger pond.

An article in this morning's Tennessean says that Riverdale "star" Shelbie Davenport has committed to Clemson after turning down MT and Lipscomb among others. Article further states that she had dreamed of getting an offer on West End.

First, in reading this article it appears that this young lady jumped at the first offer she got from a school in a "power" conference. It's amazing that going to a so-called "big-time" school is so important to so many athletes, or their parents, or hanger-ons.

Second, it's gotta be satisfying to the powers-that-be in Nashville (media, fans of VU, proponents of anything $EC, etc.) whenever an athlete refuses a scholarship offer to MT while dreaming of playing on West End. Media seems to love to drop any little barb in order to keep the perception that MT is "little" Middle.

until MT does something in post season, other than being content to be there for the first game of the NCAA, we will continue to have this problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT