ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting List

them geeks can't know every kid, especially if they aren't doing the rivals, and 247 camps. Really is all about hype. Wasn't Amari Cooper unknown until he went to Bama camp and earned an offer and then he blew up.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
“President (Sidney) McPhee said, ‘When you guys walk across the (graduation) stage three or four years from now, you’re going to have two things… your diploma and you better have a championship ring,’” Richesson said.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
“President (Sidney) McPhee said, ‘When you guys walk across the (graduation) stage three or four years from now, you’re going to have two things… your diploma and you better have a championship ring,’” Richesson said.
I find it hilarious that it took 18 years for McPhee to finally demand a conference championship. 😂😂

Was on team for 23, but entered portal. Guess he's staying.

Glad to see Ellis coming back, but if I was him & CDM wanted me back I would have made one request from our social media department. Had a short conversation about respecting player privacy with a couple of poster's here when I asked about the extent of a recent injury to one of our Lady Raider bball player's. It was not shared or made public by the coach or MT's social media dept. I was told coach doesn't have to share such private info out of respect for player privacy. After thinking about it realized they were absolutely right, none of my business if privacy on the matter is desired.
This leads to a second matter concerning in house player privacy via MT social media. Looking up Ellis' player profile on the MT Roster list for 2023 I noticed our social media didn't have a problem posting the fact that Ellis didn't play in the Jax State, La Tech, or Liberty game because of disciplinary issues. If it was enough to end his career, sure go ahead & tell us what happened. However if the dude corrected himself & paid his dues is it necessary to take pleasure by publicly humiliating him by posting he missed 3 games due to being disciplined?? Apparently player privacy is only an important issue if you have a severe injury at MT, but watch out if you make a mistake we can't wait to publicly make a fool of you to the whole world. Once again his scholarship wasn't removed, so IMO it looks very petty posting this on his individual roster page.
The guy made a mistake, but it shouldn't be a life sentence by posting it forever. MT should clean the slate on the roster report for 2023, & show a little more class if CDM thinks enough to bring him back another year. And for that matter for Ellis to show enough care & loyalty to want to come back.

Glad to see Ellis coming back, but if I was him & CDM wanted me back I would have made one request from our social media department. Had a short conversation about respecting player privacy with a couple of poster's here when I asked about the extent of a recent injury to one of our Lady Raider bball player's. It was not shared or made public by the coach or MT's social media dept. I was told coach doesn't have to share such private info out of respect for player privacy. After thinking about it realized they were absolutely right, none of my business if privacy on the matter is desired.
This leads to a second matter concerning in house player privacy via MT social media. Looking up Ellis' player profile on the MT Roster list for 2023 I noticed our social media didn't have a problem posting the fact that Ellis didn't play in the Jax State, La Tech, or Liberty game because of disciplinary issues. If it was enough to end his career, sure go ahead & tell us what happened. However if the dude corrected himself & paid his dues is it necessary to take pleasure by publicly humiliating him by posting he missed 3 games due to being disciplined?? Apparently player privacy is only an important issue if you have a severe injury at MT, but watch out if you make a mistake we can't wait to publicly make a fool of you to the whole world. Once again his scholarship wasn't removed, so IMO it looks very petty posting this on his individual roster page.
The guy made a mistake, but it shouldn't be a life sentence by posting it forever. MT should clean the slate on the roster report for 2023, & show a little more class if CDM thinks enough to bring him back another year. And for that matter for Ellis to show enough care & loyalty to want to come back.
You & I had the discussion regarding a Lady Raider’s injury. The whole medical injury/illness issue I mentioned was based on HIPPA. Which are federal guidelines.
When it comes to disciplinary issues I think that’s discretionary based on the school & coaches thought process.
Clearly more knowledgeable people on this board, so will stand corrected if what I stated above is incorrect.

Reactions: MTFAN61
You & I had the discussion regarding a Lady Raider’s injury. The whole medical injury/illness issue I mentioned was based on HIPPA. Which are federal guidelines.
When it comes to disciplinary issues I think that’s discretionary based on the school & coaches thought process.
Clearly more knowledgeable people on this board, so will stand corrected if what I stated above is incorrect.
Thanks for follow-up. Totally agreed with your premise. I realize their's a difference, & Ellis situation is not a HIPPA violation because it's not a health issue. My thoughts on Ellis were of respect versus disrespect of the individual. Personally I don't think it's necessary for a single fan checking a player's profile to know that they missed a game due to disciplinary action unless it caused loss of scholarship. I do think it is because the prior coach or staff wanted to embarrass him by presenting unimportant info on his roster page. Was just trying to draw a parallel that an individuals privacy should go beyond health issues. Just because someone erred in their decision making process unless it's a terminable offense keep it in house. But MT didn't want to do that. They wanted to show their own petty behavior by publicly embarrassing the young man. This has nothing to do with CDM, but I do think it would show some class on his part to have Ellis' roster page cleaned up since he did ask him to stay on board. Which Ellis did agree to do. Others may disagree, this is just a personal thought.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
Thanks for follow-up. Totally agreed with your premise. I realize their's a difference, & Ellis situation is not a HIPPA violation because it's not a health issue. My thoughts on Ellis were of respect versus disrespect of the individual. Personally I don't think it's necessary for a single fan checking a player's profile to know that they missed a game due to disciplinary action unless it caused loss of scholarship. I do think it is because the prior coach or staff wanted to embarrass him by presenting unimportant info on his roster page. Was just trying to draw a parallel that an individuals privacy should go beyond health issues. Just because someone erred in their decision making process unless it's a terminable offense keep it in house. But MT didn't want to do that. They wanted to show their own petty behavior by publicly embarrassing the young man. This has nothing to do with CDM, but I do think it would show some class on his part to have Ellis' roster page cleaned up since he did ask him to stay on board. Which Ellis did agree to do. Others may disagree, this is just a personal thought.
Agree, valid points. Many times, and I would use UGA as an example, the coach simply says discipline is being handled internally.
The school had a rash of driving violations/incidents and the school never provided anything past the usual “being handled internally “ messaging.

I’ve no problem with disciplinary issues becoming public knowledge.

Embarrassment is a major motivator for correcting poor behavior.

Don’t want to be put on blast, don’t do dumb shite. Or do dumb shite, and pay the price.

(FWIW, I’ve done many many many dumb things in my 45 years and being held accountable for them was a big part in making me who I am today).

Don't get me wrong I'm totally in support of disciplinary action for any student athlete who has committed an infraction against their team by breaking a code or codes of conduct. In this situation the disciplinary action was a 3 game suspension & I certainly have no problem with that. Heck suspend him for the year, cool.
In fact I'm not here trying to change anyone's mind on what is felt as right or wrong on how to address disciplinary actions of a public figure. No doubt public shaming via social media will do it. And if you are a scholarship player for a college program whether for a P5 or G5 school it certainly does make one a public figure. With that I agree once you sign your name to the dotted line you open yourself to a host of added responsibilities.
However, there is a term for using social media as a platform to shame, shun, or boycott any & all who are deemed to have acted or spoken in an unacceptable manner against a group of people or an institution. Modern society calls it Cancel Culture.
There's no doubt public shaming which is a form of cancel culture is an effective way of keeping someone under control for past actions or allegations. I'm just glad that I'm not in the public eye. There's no doubt that in today's world that if you give someone the opportunity to publicly add to any possible transgression by shaming or ostracizing an individual they certainly will. For many cancel culture is a positive thing, & they have their right to support it. I'm just not one of those people.

Just an FYI, HIPAA doesn’t apply to college athletes in most cases. HIPAA only applies for covered entities. Even if covered, most NCAA schools require athletes to sign waivers for HIPAA and FERPA. Coaches typically cite these privacy laws incorrectly out of ignorance or to avoid talking about things they dont want to publicly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT