ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting List

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
Here is a good list of all our commits.

We’ve picked up six players that committed and signed today.

Malik Love LB 6’4/215 McDonough, GA
Other offers: UAB, Navy, Alabama St

Roman Gagliano QB 6’3/200 Opelika, AL
Other offers: North Alabama

Zeion Simpson-Smith WDE 6’1/235 Nashville, TN
Other offers: none

Jason Overton OG 6’2/290 Nashville, TN

Emmanuel Gyamfi DT 6’1/280 Buford, GA
Other offers: Jax St, Alabama St, Chattanooga, ETSU, The Citadel, TN Tech

Austin Clemons RB 5’11/206 Pembroke, GA
Other offers: Bethune Cookman, Wofford, Stetson

We’ve picked up six players that committed and signed today.

Malik Love LB 6’4/215 McDonough, GA
Other offers: UAB, Navy, Alabama St

Roman Gagliano QB 6’3/200 Opelika, AL
Other offers: North Alabama

Zeion Simpson-Smith WDE 6’1/235 Nashville, TN

Jason Overton OG 6’2/290 Nashville, TN

Emmanuel Gyamfi DT 6’1/280 Buford, GA
Other offers: Jax St, Alabama St, Chattanooga, ETSU, The Citadel, TN Tech

Austin Clemons RB 5’11/206 Pembroke, GA
Other offers: Bethune Cookman, Wofford, Stetson
Saw Pearl-Cohn multiple times this year, surprised nobody offered Overton and really surprised nobody has offered Smith. Hopefully this creates a pipeline with the Firebirds

The transfers look good, and to be honest, even some of the guys who are light in profile - if you google them, you see a lot of news with "Player of the week", "Mr.Football finalist", Region blah blah blah player of the year, and stuff like that.

I'd do that on some of our previous classes and some of those kids were as anonymous as if they were in witness protection.

So, with about 2 weeks to put everything together and not even a full staff, it seems we did about as well as we always do on the recruiting trail, if not better.

Show something on the field and have a year to recruit, and we might be in business.

Huge threat on punt returns and kick returns signs. RB but I would look for him to make a major impact on special teams. Played for UCONN.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
The transfers look good, and to be honest, even some of the guys who are light in profile - if you google them, you see a lot of news with "Player of the week", "Mr.Football finalist", Region blah blah blah player of the year, and stuff like that.

I'd do that on some of our previous classes and some of those kids were as anonymous as if they were in witness protection.

So, with about 2 weeks to put everything together and not even a full staff, it seems we did about as well as we always do on the recruiting trail, if not better.

Show something on the field and have a year to recruit, and we might be in business.
Agreed and good chance there will be several more additions in the next 6 weeks. Will also be much easier to recruit locally now that Mason has made it clear it will be a priority. Football coaches have a long memory, when you make their kids a priority , they notice and they make sure to tell other coaches.

Commits/Signees from Oakland, Brentwood, Pearl-Cohn, Lipscomb Academy (via JC), Baylor (via transfer) and Tullahoma. None of which I believe even had offer from Middle 2 weeks ago. These are all well coached programs and all but 1 of them frequently pump out FBS on the regular. Pretty much a best case scenario for MT with early signing day

Better sign some front 7 players on defense or we won't win a single game next year. We lost almost all our LB's, starting DL, and half the 2 deep for the front 7 as well.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
For what it's worth, Rivals has us ranked 3rd in CUSA for the '24 class.

'23 - 9th
'22 - 7th
'21 - 12th
'20 - 9th

That’s what produces 4-8 seasons. It wasn’t going to get better either. Stock acting like there were just a couple of things to fix was borderline delusion. The decision to finally cut the cord is almost like an early Christmas gift.

That’s what produces 4-8 seasons. It wasn’t going to get better either. Stock acting like there were just a couple of things to fix was borderline delusion. The decision to finally cut the cord is almost like an early Christmas gift.
Just like this. All those Power signings. Talent in our own freaking backyard that we never even talked to for years, and it gets fixed in a matter of weeks with the right people. It'll be even better next year I believe.

Just like this. All those Power signings. Talent in our own freaking backyard that we never even talked to for years, and it gets fixed in a matter of weeks with the right people. It'll be even better next year I believe.

Article doesn't really do it justice, but there were at least 45 kids from TN that signed scholarship papers to a FBS school, another 15 or so have FBS offers that have yet to sign. Hopefully Overton and Smith can convince their teammate at PC to flip to Middle

A Christmas gift that should have been given in 2015.

I know they are looking at a JUCO tight end that had committed earlier to UMass. His OV will be January 4.

With all due respect to the folks here associated with Rivals, there is no way we have the 3rd best class in the league.

247 has us second to the last in the nation only ahead of utep and frankly that's realistic and I can accept it. I'm not neg repping what Mason and Co. have done, but considering only two weeks and likely inheriting an offer list of low hanging fruit of FCS and DIII caliber athletes there is no reason to have expected much this year. There are still a lot of good players out there that will wait til Feb so still time to make this a decent class all things considered.

With all due respect to the folks here associated with Rivals, there is no way we have the 3rd best class in the league.

247 has us second to the last in the nation only ahead of utep and frankly that's realistic and I can accept it. I'm not neg repping what Mason and Co. have done, but considering only two weeks and likely inheriting an offer list of low hanging fruit of FCS and DIII caliber athletes there is no reason to have expected much this year. There are still a lot of good players out there that will wait til Feb so still time to make this a decent class all things considered.

It is 100% because of the volume. Rivals doesn't use a proper system when it comes to ranking classes. They use volume as a contributing factor which makes no sense. It should simply be average star/RR.

We don't have a single 3 star player which might be the first time ever?

To be fair, it is Mason's first class and G5 recruiting rankings rarely mean much. There is not much difference between 2 and 3 star players, if any.

There are several that have signed that are rated 3 star by either 247 or on3. Chadwick is considered one of the best kickers in the country. Gotta see how it ends , but it's a good first class to build on

There are several that have signed that are rated 3 star by either 247 or on3. Chadwick is considered one of the best kickers in the country. Gotta see how it ends , but it's a good first class to build on

All things considered I do think it's a good class....if we sign some men for the DL.

I really hope they are heavily targeting the DL with these last remaining 10. We need several more DL additions to make up for all the losses.

Last edited:
All things considered I do think it's a good class....if we sign some men for the DL.

I really hope they are heavily targeting the DL with these last remaining 5. We need several more DL additions to make up for all the losses.
Agreed, need to sign several DT's and hopefully its mostly done via the portal.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue

Pretty much all of these guys were not being recruited before CDM got here. These players are mostly all legit FBS players. The problem with 247 for G5 teams is they do not rank the players usually until after they commit. You’ll likely see a lot of shuffling in the rankings when they start rating our players. Since they all committed in the past week they haven’t had time to do that. Also, your information is wrong, currently 247 has us 6th in CUSA, ahead of UTEP, JSU, NMSU, KSU.

on3 has them 5th best in cusa, so they must've had some guys withdraw from the portal with only 10 or so ships left. You will see heavy presence for DL and OL.

Pretty much all of these guys were not being recruited before CDM got here. These players are mostly all legit FBS players. The problem with 247 for G5 teams is they do not rank the players usually until after they commit. You’ll likely see a lot of shuffling in the rankings when they start rating our players. Since they all committed in the past week they haven’t had time to do that. Also, your information is wrong, currently 247 has us 6th in CUSA, ahead of UTEP, JSU, NMSU, KSU.

I just looked at the full team list and we were like 133 - maybe it's already shifted some.

Reactions: ewglenn
I just looked at the full team list and we were like 133 - maybe it's already shifted some.
Fair enough, they are at 130 now. I would expect us to easily be in the top 3 of CUSA with them too. They are only showing four 3* on their total ranking of us but they’ve already ranked four others as 3* players. Once they finish with that and update the composite scores, which is where the team rankings are generated, we will go way up. My cousin works for 247 covering NCSU so I know more than I care to about 247 (Thanksgiving that’s all we hear about) lol.

Fair enough. I'm at a disadvantage as I don't really follow recruiting. I see it as such a crapshoot and BS and ratings seem like fuzzy math to me, so try not to talk about it too much.

Reactions: ewglenn
I usually look at other offers a recruit has to judge the level of talent. Not to say there aren’t diamonds in the rough, or kids under the radar, but when all your offers are lower level teams, then that says something. Actually it says a lot In my mind.

Beating out TN Tech or Austin Peay, when they have no other decent offers, worries me a lot. I don‘t expect us to beat out Georgia, but when we beat out Georgia Tech, then I think we got a good one.

Reactions: Raiders_55
These are the type of schools we should compete against for players, not the Wofford's and EKU’s of the world.
Most players, especially those from the South, who are offered by non-P5 teams (MAC, FCS, etc.) located north of Tennessee would probably sign with MT.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
It is 100% because of the volume. Rivals doesn't use a proper system when it comes to ranking classes. They use volume as a contributing factor which makes no sense. It should simply be average star/RR.

I’m of the opposite opinion. At this level, who the hell knows what separates one 2/3 star guy from the next. No one is paying that much attention to guys who are deciding between a bunch of sunbelt, Mac, and CUSA teams. You’re pretty much just throwing stuff against the wall and hoping it sticks.

So, let’s say 30% of a class ends up as legit players at this level. Another 30% as roster filler, and 40% washes out.

Give me the class with 30 recruits over the class with 20. You’re going to end up with more legit players.

For years, MT football (Boots, Andy, Rick) has signed some of the best players in the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT