ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Ranking the QB position in Conference USA

With respect to Mike White at WKU, I have concerns how he will play without QB guru Brohm on the sideline. There's no QB in C-USA that I like more than Stock.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Plus WKU loses those 2 awesome receivers they had plus their 2 RB's and most of their OL. They also lose a good amount of folks on the D side as well. They will be a different team.

If Zeke Dobson hits the field early and some folks like Reggie Henderson and Joc Bruce or some of the 6'5 newcomers step up, we could not only have the best QB, but we will have the most dangerous WR corps as well. Franklin recruited some real talent at WR and will be coaching the WR's as well. You will see a big change there for the better.

It seems that most of the top QBs in this article will be our opponents this coming year. I truly hope for a new and improved defense.

I like Brent but until proven otherwise Mike White is the best QB in the conference. Conference championship and bowl win separates them.
That's like saying Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Dan Marino because Dilfer won a super bowl.

Reactions: AustinLewis
That's like saying Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Dan Marino because Dilfer won a super bowl.
Dilfer was better "at that time". It also raises the question on how we rate anyone. Is it based on stats, championships, starts, etc. I would bet a paycheck that any one of us would rather have championships and bowl wins over our QB setting NCAA records.

The problem is that White has better stats all around as well, including more yards, TD's and better completion %.

I do think we'll see some regression from WKU, but then again, we've been waiting for that for years, and 3 WKU coaching changes, and it never happens.

Reactions: MTTim
The problem is that White has better stats all around as well, including more yards, TD's and better completion %.

I do think we'll see some regression from WKU, but then again, we've been waiting for that for years, and 3 WKU coaching changes, and it never happens.
I believe we will see some but will it be enough for us to win the division. WKU has quietly implemented a system whereas the offense doesn't miss a beat with coaching changes or personnel. The defense, while not great, has been very efficient.

I believe we will see some but will it be enough for us to win the division. WKU has quietly implemented a system whereas the offense doesn't miss a beat with coaching changes or personnel. The defense, while not great, has been very efficient.

We'll see. We seem to matchup pretty well with them usually. 7 of the last 10 have been 1 score games.

Unfortunately, the big difference recently is they seem to make the one or two key plays that we don't.

If you would have told me a few years ago that there would be a time where WKU would be the conferences big dog in football and we would be the best Basketball team in the conference, I would have LOL'ed.

Reactions: C-Bow
Since 2007, we're 5-4 vs. WKU. We were 1-2 vs. Brohm. They blew us off the field 1 time. 2014, we won in 3OT. Last year, they won in 2OT by a point. That's not exactly domination on their side. They won 2 championships and such and that's to be admired but they killed us one year and that's it. We killed them in 2009 by a score of 62-24. It's cyclical. The 2 guys that burned us deep for the last 2 years are gone. With better play calling on D from us, I think we will even the score this year. White is a good QB but the coaching and playcalling will be different.

Also, had we ran the dang ball on 1st down with 2:27 left, forcing them to blow their last Timeout, we would have held them to 27 points, the lowest score they rang up in any conference game last year.

The biggest difference this year is that we're playing them next to last and the week before ODU who will be good too. Typically, we have nothing to look forward to that time of year. This year, we will by facing 2 of the best teams in the east. I will be driving to BG for that game as I believe it will be for the East title.

Dilfer was better "at that time". It also raises the question on how we rate anyone. Is it based on stats, championships, starts, etc. I would bet a paycheck that any one of us would rather have championships and bowl wins over our QB setting NCAA records.
Here's the thing : NCAA records are a individual/unit accomplishment. Championships and bowl wins are a team accomplishment. Brent can't help that the defense was terrible and gave up 40+ points multiple times last year.

Mike White is filled Doughty's shoes better than I imagined. I'm interested to see how he performs without Brohm, Taylor, and Norris, particularly in a new offensive scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT