ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Raiders accept invitation to the Hawaii Bowl

Wonder if we will have any fans. 50? 100? No one I know is going

Wonder if we will have any fans. 50? 100? No one I know is going

Like I posted in another thread. About the same as went to the Bahamas Bowl. Maybe a few more since you don't have to worry about passports, etc. I am not going. Can not afford it and that is the case for most MT fans. It is what it is.

I couldn't and wouldn't go to the potato bowl if that had been selected. I am happy that the players get to experience Hawaii. Let's leave it at that.

Yes it will be a fun trip for them. I know we all have our comments about the staff and administration but the team worked really hard to get where they are right now. Now, go get us a win!!!

Frustrated as a fan. Does nothing for the loyalists. Remember going to bowl games that were somewhat close?

For me basketball season is my focus. Football lost me since October 15th.

We had better not lose. That's all I'm gonna say.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Happy for the team. I'm sure some $EC teams would love to trade destinations. Particularly, Vandy, Georgia and South Carolina. Maybe Tennessee too.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
yawn. Just another meaningless November/December game in my opinion. UTSA, FIU, UNCC, Hawaii, zzzzzz

Despite MT being picked to win the CUSA championship, WKU won the league (again) and will play a reputable, strong opponent in a bowl game and rock them (again) while we continue to settle for sloppy seconds and getting rocked by MAC schools in bottom of the barrel bowl games.

Sorry if thats too negative for some of you, but it's the cold hard truth. I just can't get excited for this bowl game after the pre-season expectations we had and Stocks decision to put the WKU game in the defenses hands instead of ending the game on 4th and 1 with our offense. How could he trust the defense over the offense when Mathers was averaging 6.6 YPC and our defense is one of the worst in the country?

I don't trust this staff anymore and I'm unhappy with the results of the season so I could give two flips about this bowl game against a no-name opponent. I hope we don't sell a single ticket and nobody shows up.

yawn. Just another meaningless November/December game in my opinion. UTSA, FIU, UNCC, Hawaii, zzzzzz

Despite MT being picked to win the CUSA championship, WKU won the league (again) and will play a reputable, strong opponent in a bowl game and rock them (again) while we continue to settle for sloppy seconds and getting rocked by MAC schools in bottom of the barrel bowl games.

Sorry if thats too negative for some of you, but it's the cold hard truth. I just can't get excited for this bowl game after the pre-season expectations we had and Stocks decision to put the WKU game in the defenses hands instead of ending the game on 4th and 1 with our offense. How could he trust the defense over the offense when Mathers was averaging 6.6 YPC and our defense is one of the worst in the country?

I don't trust this staff anymore and I'm unhappy with the results of the season so I could give two flips about this bowl game against a no-name opponent. I hope we don't sell a single ticket and nobody shows up.
Wow.

Hawai'i Bowl Week Events

The Royal Hawaiian Lu'au
Tuesday, December 20, 2016
The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection
2259 Kalakaua Ave., Honolulu, HI 96815
Starts at 6:00 PM
Adult: $97.50
Child (Ages 5 - 12): $65.00
Purchase Tickets Here

Wet'n'Wild Hawai'i
400 Farrington Hwy, Kapolei, HI 96707

C-USA and Mountain West Teams & Dates TBDFor Tickets Visit: https://www.wetnwildhawaii.com/

The Hawai'i Bowl Kick Off Banquet

Thursday, December 22, 2016
Sheraton Waikiki - Hawai'i Ballroom
2255 Kalakaua Ave., Honolulu, HI 96815
Starts at 6:00 PM
Adult: $81.00
Child (Ages 5 -12): $54.00
Purchase Tickets Here

NOH Foods Luncheon at Dave & Busters
TBDThe Ward Warehouse, 1030 Auahi St, Honolulu, HI 96814

The Game

Hawai'i Bowl Game
Aloha Stadium
December 24, 2016 - 3:00 p.m. HT

For More Information, Please Call the Hawai'i Bowl Office at 808-523-3688

Hey, it's a good draw. We got 6 bowl slots with 2 island spots. LTU got shafted playing Navy at the Armed Forces Bowl. What a sucky bowl game. One whole week of staring at a cow's behind and being told how awesome Navy is. UNT playing Army in a rematch is a crappy game too.

So you had Boca, New Mexico, and New Orleans. Not exactly backyard games and not exactly top tier vacation spots either. What the heck do you do in New Mexico?

Hawaii is fine. We didn't have people come to see us play at home so attendance doesn't matter to me. The players will have a blast. Go for it. Hawaii is beatable.

Put Richie in at QB and turn him loose. They are 118th in stopping the run so I'tavius should have a field day. Go Blue!!!! Go get it.

"What the heck do you do in New Mexico?"

Nothing, unless you like art, beautiful scenery seen no where else, American Indian and Spanish American culture, and the best Mexican food this side of the Rio Grande. For me, and my better half, been to New Mexico several times and are looking for another excuse to make another trip to "The Land of Enchantment". A bowl game a week before Christmas would have been that excuse.

Reactions: MT Glenn
"What the heck do you do in New Mexico?"

Nothing, unless you like art, beautiful scenery seen no where else, American Indian and Spanish American culture, and the best Mexican food this side of the Rio Grande. For me, and my better half, been to New Mexico several times and are looking for another excuse to make another trip to "The Land of Enchantment". A bowl game a week before Christmas would have been that excuse.

Agreed. Spent a summer in Las Cruces when I was a kid (went to NMSU basketball camp) and loved it there. The storms at night were breath taking. You've also got White Sands which is one of the wonders of the world.

Just be prepared for some really dry air. I remember waking up with rock hard boogers for the first week or so.

Tell us how you really feel.

As for me, any time MT is in competition I will be pulling hard for them to win.

Happy with the season? NO!

Give two flips? Hell YES!

Look, I hate to be so negative. It'll be a great trip for the players I guess, but how can one be happy with our current situation after watching WKU take ANOTHER CUSA Championship in dominating fashion. We've been playing FBS football twice as long and still don't even have our first outright title! Then when you factor in we were picked first and the way the WKU game played out....I'm sorry I just can't get over it and I will never be able to. This was supposed to be our season, our title, our championship. And it would have been had our coach had the foresight to know our defense is utter garbage (everyone else knew when we punted on 4th and 1 it was over) and ran the ball on 4th and 1 to end the game.

This season is 100% on the coaches IMO. Despite all the injuries we still could have won the title because we were in control of that WKU game which was the determining factor. The success WKU is having with CUSA Championships and graduating coaches to bigger program makes me grossly envious and resentful of our sorry excuse for a program. Why do we have to be stuck with such duds who do just enough to appease the AD but never enough to win a championship???????

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
You're an 18 year old kid going to Albuquerque. Yeah, that's hyped. I've been there and it's ok like anywhere else but if I had to pick from the 5-6 spots, I would probably go Hawaii too. I get why the school took the invite. It's not like the SEC where you got 3-4 bowls literally in your back yard. Boca is nothing but a FAU away game and that would have been the easiest bowl to travel to.

Wiley, should we have turned it down and not play the game? Just act like a petulant child and say "we didn't win the championship so I'm going home. boo hoo." Come on. you play the freakin game and use it to sell to a kid who is looking for a good place to play some good ball next year. If I'm in high school and a coach shows me pics of the team I could play for chillin on the beach in Hawaii or the Bahamas, I'm gonna want to go there vs. a basement bowling alley in West Texas.

One thing I've learned about these boards is everybody is never gonna be happy with anything. We're in a bowl. You don't like it, there's FAU or FIU to root for. They're sittin at the house. Go for it. If the bowl ain't good enough? Fine there's the SEC. It is what it is. Use it and recruit some more Richie James like players with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Cy9Cn3sWEAA3gSN.jpg:large

Look, I hate to be so negative. It'll be a great trip for the players I guess, but how can one be happy with our current situation after watching WKU take ANOTHER CUSA Championship in dominating fashion. We've been playing FBS football twice as long and still don't even have our first outright title! Then when you factor in we were picked first and the way the WKU game played out....I'm sorry I just can't get over it and I will never be able to. This was supposed to be our season, our title, our championship. And it would have been had our coach had the foresight to know our defense is utter garbage (everyone else knew when we punted on 4th and 1 it was over) and ran the ball on 4th and 1 to end the game.

This season is 100% on the coaches IMO. Despite all the injuries we still could have won the title because we were in control of that WKU game which was the determining factor. The success WKU is having with CUSA Championships and graduating coaches to bigger program makes me grossly envious and resentful of our sorry excuse for a program. Why do we have to be stuck with such duds who do just enough to appease the AD but never enough to win a championship???????

Come on Wiley, you love to be negative...:)!

This might also be our first losing proposition bowl game. And what I mean by that is, if we win the game, it's because we were supposed to. If we lose the game, well, I guess it doesn't matter at this point. No more fans to run off.

Think Hawaii was the best bowl game for us this year of the C-USA spots. This time, think we have a reasonable chance to win, unlike 1993's opener. Very pleased for the players even though I will not be able to attend in person...wish I could arrange, but that is another story. Can say my dad visited Hawaii briefly in 1960 coming home from Korea in the Army; he recalled it very beautiful and he has a few Kodachrome slides somewhere--saw them about 20 years ago. Maybe someday if we ever go back again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT