ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Q&A: Stockstill gives offseason update

excerpt:

What did you most like from this recruiting class?
"We were very average up front last year. I was talking to [former Blue Raider and current Baltimore Raven offensive lineman Maurquice Shakir], and he said he watched a couple of games and talked about the amount of hits that [quarterback Brent Stockstill] took. Our first two games, Brent got hit 33 times on passing plays, and that's not counting the times he ran the ball. Some of those were some really vicious hits. I felt like with the injuries we had, we needed to sign linemen. We needed to get some depth on the offensive line.

"We signed six linemen, and that's probably too many, but I wasn't going to go through another year like last year where our quarterbacks got hit as much as they did. I really think we signed six really good players. Some of them, I hope, will be able to help us this year, and some aren't going to be ready and will redshirt. But, I think we'll have more depth.

"What people don't realize, when you have the amount of injuries we had on the offensive line, that affects the defense. We couldn't send an offensive line scout team to the defense during practice, so they were having to go against their own players. That's not good. It's hard to get better when you're the starting defensive tackle and go five plays, then you're the starting offensive guard on the scout team so the second team gets a look. They never get breaks and rest, and eventually their bodies wear down."

I hope the over recruitment at O line pays off...this has been an area that we always been decent in. Hopefully last year was just unusual.

It would be nice if we could land a couple of late signees that can help.

I think Stock wants to make a real run at a title because of his focus at OL. He knows that if he can protect Brent throughout the season, we are right there to take it. Having WKU and FAU at home helps us. Also, this isn't just about Brent. This is also about the RB's that we have. You saw what a healthy Thomas and West can do for us. If Cobb and Dobson become what they are capable with the weapons we already have, it could be a special season. A healthy OL with depth is insurance to make sure that happens.

I remember calling into the radio show multiple times and complaining about the lack of depth on our OL and the piss poor management of our roster, in particular not enough scholarship OL. The radio hosts wanted nothing to do with the conversation and just kept being homers for Stock. I complained on this message board constantly throughout the season about how we didn't have enough OL players on the roster and how it cost us multiple games.

It's vindicating to go out and see them sign 6 OL players with this class so something like that never happens again. It's too bad last season was squandered because of that though. With a better OL, we probably would have had Brent at FAU and at least had a chance. Would have been a different season IMO if we had the proper amount of bodies on the line. I know Stock wants to point to the injuries, but even with the injuries we never had enough OL players on the roster. There's always going to be injuries at that position so it's something you've gotta account for. It's very refreshing to see 6 guys signed...and I disagree when he says we probably oversigned the position. We can live without a WR or two each class.

Traditionally, yes, we have more OL players on our roster than most schools, but I think coaches get too caught up in trying to copy cat what others are doing. Stop worrying about other schools rosters and how they are managed and worry about yours. We've got plenty of skill position players and always have had good skill position players. Our problems have ALWAYS been related to the offensive and defensive line. Over sign those positions and the skill position stuff will work it self out.

Yes, glad to see coach stock put some priority to the OL. Also glad to hear him say that another DLman is his first priority for one of those additional scholarships if he can find one.

It has been pretty frustrating to see MT sign so many WRs while going thin along the OL. Then to top it off, MT couldn't even seem to find that reliable 3rd WR much less a 4th. It seemed like one or two young WRs came along at the end of season to make a few plays. Until then, that was a whole mess of scholarships for just a few productive players.

In the grand scheme of things, this focus and priority of OL signees this season just may end up paying off tremendously for MT football over the next few seasons.

Some schools are known as QB U or RB U. I'd be happy with MT being known as Lineman U.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT