ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL On to next year - Do you really want to?

My frustration is going to intensify as other programs make changes over better records and more successful seasons.

We are broke and have poor leadership. We are broke because no one is buying into this disaster and everyone knows it.

I don't even care who transfers out.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Has Massaro even been sighted lately? He may have fled the country by now :)

If I had to guess he's probably flooding twitter with NCAA women's news, which next to nobody cares about. (Sorry for all you NCAAWBB fans out there, but it's not a major sport and very few people give two hoots about it).

Meanwhile, our major sports are in complete disarray without a care in the world and zero changes on the horizon.

Massaro, McPhee, McDevitt, and Stockstill must really have no shame to continue to collect those checks and deliver such unacceptable results.

The situation our athletic department is in has literally grown into hatred for me. I want to see our teams lose every game they play now.

Tyson Jackson now transferring. LOL

Will we even be able to field a team next year??

Tyson Jackson now transferring. LOL

Will we even be able to field a team next year??

Not sure, and it wouldn't change the results. Forfeiting games for lack of players and getting beat by 20 every night ends in the same result, a loss.

It's going to be the same results regardless of our roster as long as McDevitt is here. Single digit win seasons until we hire a competent coach. There should be a sense of URGENCY to fire this dude TODAY. But nope.

And, honestly,.... probably doesn't even matter what happens at this point. Massaro and McDevitt have destroyed our program beyond repair. We will never come close to sniffing the success we had under Kermit. All momentum has been lost and we are now a well known CUSA bottom feeder. Nobody is gonna want to play for this loser program now, and I don't blame them.

I wouldn't let my son anywhere near MT basketball if he was a D1 prospect.

Had Tyson Jackson transferred out at this time last year I would have been distraught. Now, I couldn't shivagit.

It appears that since we have no signees and have offered very few (from what I gather) that with several leaving McDevitt will have the excuse in year 4: We didn't have a full complement of players. (haven't we heard that before?)

And Wiley, I think you have made us all aware of how you feel about women's BkB. That's OK, I've stated often that I don't particularly care for BB.
I think we all realize that FB and men's BkB drive the train, but if we follow college athletics we aware there are pockets where BB, Ice Hockey, and women's BkB are popular college team sports. TN has a history, long before college women's BkB being a thing, of high school girl's BkB being as popular as the boy's BkB in parts of the state. One of those areas was the mid-state so it stands to reason that women's college BkB is followed by many MT fans. Would I take a men's sweet 16 over a women's national championship? Probably, but I still like to follow both.

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread, I mentioned the poor coaching likely leading to more out bound transfers. That did not take long!

I completely understand these talented young players with potential wanting to transfer. All three listed thus far have been horribly underserved by this coaching staff.

These further developments highlight the sad situation that it can't be understated just how poorly coached this team is and how badly this program is being run.

Something to consider is the staff's ability to recruit going forward. Both transfer and high school players surely want to avoid MT like the plague now.

Previously, Nick and staff could tell the kids they're trying to build something and Years 3 and 4 are looking promising. As a recruit, that's believable and it's something they'd might want to be a part of.

Now that the bottom has fallen out, what are they gonna tell kids? There's clear regression within the program year over year with teams getting worse each year. Several players have gotten worse over time instead of improving as players. Tyson Jackson went from CUSA Freshman team to a bench warmer. I'd say most of the transfers averaged far fewer points here vs. their old schools. Sims seems to become less effective with each passing year as he went from starting for us in NCAA tournament games as a freshmen under Kermit to warming the bench and being a non-factor under McDevitt. Oh, our leading scorer just transferred out as well. No big deal, right ? LOL

If you dig deep into the program and look beyond just the terrible results it's plain to see things are a disaster. Who's gonna want to play for us now? And even if we did get good players, it clearly doesn't matter because McDevitt can't keep up in this league.

There's just too many obstacles at this point when you put a magnifying glass over things. I really hope Massaro understands this and realizes that he has no other choice but to fire McDevitt. I don't understand how a rational, sane person could keep this coaching staff around any longer.

It's not working and it's not even close to working.

Something to consider is the staff's ability to recruit going forward. Both transfer and high school players surely want to avoid MT like the plague now.

This is a BIG deal.

I don’t think Massaro is smart enough to to figure this out. He didn’t fire Mac on the baseball team, he let his contract expire and didn’t resign him. To your point, I don’t think Massaro is competent enough to realize the overall setback to our program and finances if he doesn’t fire CNM in next week.

Logic says take the financial hit upfront, understand next season is probably a loss anyway & get a new coach in now so that they can work on recruiting. Competent coaching brings back some attendance and donations.

If CNM is our coach next year, attendance and donations will continue to plummet, and as you mentioned, the recruiting of junior/seniors for 23 & 24 are gone.

I hate that Chris Massaro is our AD. I have no confidence in his ability to make the right decision or hire even if he did.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Watching this St. Mary’s bunch vs. WKU is bringing back some bad memories of the 2013 beat down I witnessed us take in Dayton OH courtesy of Maryville TN UT Vol, referee Mike Stuart and that Delladova boy from Australia.

I thought Kermit’s wife and daughter were gonna leave their seats to take him out after some of those calls Stuart made.😂😂

Last edited:
Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
I hate that Chris Massaro is our AD. I have no confidence in his ability to make the right decision or hire even if he did.

Exactly. I'm just so over it and ready to give up because even if we do fire McDevitt, look who's conducting the search........Chris Massaro & Sidney McPhee. Those 2 make dumb & dumber look like Ivy League scholars. So really, what's even the point ??? I wouldn't trust those two to hire people for a McDonalds, much less a D1 athletics program.

Unbelievably sad times to be an MT alumni and fan. There is quite literally no hope as long as McPhee, Massaro, and apparently this BOT stays in power.

Take a look at Drake basketball and coach Darian DeVries. We have known him since he came on as a graduate assistant years ago at Creighton. He never left until he was finally hired 3 years ago as head coach at Drake. He was passed over for that job once before for not having head coaching experience. When he took that job 3 years ago he ended up with 3 players, rebuilt and did well from the start. Tonight he coaches his first NCAA tourney game and came in as at large bid. Too many excuses are made here at MT. Coaches are hired to win, develop players and team, cultivate a fitting staff, communicate with media and fans, fundraise and win (can't say that enough). On this anniversary of beating MSU in the tourney I feel like the leadership really took that for granted and all the factors that CKD and staff and players brought to the university. Love the memories but as we begin watching the tourney, I really wish MT was relevant. IT is always possible.

Take a look at Drake basketball and coach Darian DeVries. We have known him since he came on as a graduate assistant years ago at Creighton. He never left until he was finally hired 3 years ago as head coach at Drake. He was passed over for that job once before for not having head coaching experience. When he took that job 3 years ago he ended up with 3 players, rebuilt and did well from the start. Tonight he coaches his first NCAA tourney game and came in as at large bid. Too many excuses are made here at MT. Coaches are hired to win, develop players and team, cultivate a fitting staff, communicate with media and fans, fundraise and win (can't say that enough). On this anniversary of beating MSU in the tourney I feel like the leadership really took that for granted and all the factors that CKD and staff and players brought to the university. Love the memories but as we begin watching the tourney, I really wish MT was relevant. IT is always possible.

I appreciate your unique perspective.

Under normal situations, I tend not to like internal promotions in situations like ours simply because it seems the assistant often takes a step back from the previous HC when 1. the previous coach set the high water mark for the program and 2. the assistant has years of assistant expience w/o a HC gig. Travis Steele taking over for Chris Mack at Xavier is a great example and seems fitting since he was apparently considered for this job.

That said, this was not normal given that the 2 people making the decisions have the judgement skills of George Costanza and Michael Scott. If Massaro and McPhee had Forbes and Nick in front of Greg, then it’s clear Greg was the man for the job.

Last edited:

Appreciate your comments and perspective. Drake coach seems to be well on his way. MVC is one of the most competitive conferences in D1 ball top to bottom. Hard-nosed, grind it out basketball night-in night-out. Always enjoy watching the Drakes, Bradley's, Indiana State's, Northern Iowa's etc. battle it out.

Hate to keep talking about all the problems here at MT. It's depressing and there's really only so much that can be said. I wish there was something to be positive about. Only real glimmer of hope is to see what this new OC can do with our football team. It's sad that our mediocre football team is all we have to get pumped about.

It's just a sad situation overall in Murfreesboro that will never improve until we get new leadership. Sidney McPhee and Chris Massaro just ain't it. McPhee doesn't know jack $hit about athletics and Massaro is so incompetent it's comical. He can't fundraise. He's about as inspiring as a jar of nickles. He can't wow a coach or sell this program to bring in good coaches....which goes back to his inability to fundraise and lack of inspiration. He's been here going on two decades now and we've had zero major progress on facilities for our major sports. Lastly, he's got the personality of a wet tree trunk. He's basically Homer Simpson incarnate and somehow is allowed and paid handsomely to run our athletics department. It seems criminal in my eyes and is only able to continue because of government bureaucracy bull$hit. If our university and athletics programs were run like a private business they would have been fired long ago.

Hopefully they don't outlive me because I don't see either one of them going anywhere anytime soon with this rubber stamp BOT we have.

Last edited:
Reactions: amgtmom

Good find for Siena. He will do well in the MAAC which is traditionally one of the weakest leagues in D1. He was one of the few players under McDevitt who seemed to improve while here, so of course he's gone. He developed a nice outside shot and he's always been a well built physical player. He was a good player coming off the bench for us but not too worried about him or really anyone else leaving at this point. We won 5 games last year. We need a whole new team and coaching staff basically.

There are so many problems with our team and roster I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin. I feel bad for the next head coach that has to come in and try to figure this thing out.

Here's the scary thing: We have at least 4 scholarship offers to give this year. As of now, it doesn't seem that we are even close to get any commitments/signees for this years class. As if a coach who can't develop talent is bad enough, what about a coach that is scrambling to find players that want to play for the worst program in the country.

Joking aside, we will be lucky to win 5 games next year.

Last edited:
Here's the scary thing: We have at least 4 scholarship offers to give this year. As of now, it doesn't seem that we are even close to get any commitments/signees for this years class. As if a coach who can't develop talent is bad enough, what about a coach that is scrambling to find players that want to play for the worst program in the country.

Joking aside, we will be lucky to win 5 games next year.
he better go out ELAC and grab some jucos

Tomorrow is D-Day for me. I’m so discouraged because I have no hope anything is going to happen. And that means a complete separation for me.

I earned my right to be here. What have you done other than chastise a fan base - for which you don’t belong - when they don’t agree with your oft application of lipstick on the pig that is this situation? At least you now recognize he should be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT