ADVERTISEMENT

NIL donation information

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
From Lee:

Hey guys! Individuals CAN use the Blue Raider Exchange and interact directly with our student-athletes regarding NIL deals, as you can see at this link.

We don't have a collective, nor do we have demand for one right now. If anyone wants to support student-athletes directly (without any kind of business interest), they can also donate to the "Student-Athlete Impact Fund" through the BRAA. Click here to do that.

Another way to raise NIL money.

This is actually my eldest's school. It's like a larger Alumni Hall, specific to State, with other decor.

Pardon, my ignorance, but is the student athlete collective fun kind of the same as a collective? Will this money be going to obtain new players? I’m ready to hop on board I just wanna make sure my dollars are going where it should be.

@ldeleon5 can you help answer this? Thanks!
Hey guys! Sorry for my delayed response. Been a little busy ;)

The "Student-Athlete Impact Fund" is part of the Blue Raider Athletic Association (BRAA). It's a tax-deductible gift that goes into a pool of money that the Athletic Director distributes to student-athletes based on academic/eligibility qualifications. The money is processed through the MTSU Foundation, and has to be distributed based on Title IX considerations. Also, international student-athletes can receive this money.

NIL money through a collective is completely different. It is not tax-deductible and does not go through MTSU/BRAA. It also requires that student-athletes do something in return (sign an autograph, post on social media, make an appearance, etc.). We don't have an official collective yet, but there is interest in creating one, and doing so in the near future.

In the mean time, the Student-Athlete Impact Fund is a great solution! Here's the link to make a gift:

The "Student-Athlete Impact Fund" is part of the Blue Raider Athletic Association (BRAA). It's a tax-deductible gift that goes into a pool of money that the Athletic Director distributes to student-athletes based on academic/eligibility qualifications. The money is processed through the MTSU Foundation, and has to be distributed based on Title IX considerations. Also, international student-athletes can receive this money.

NIL money through a collective is completely different. It is not tax-deductible and does not go through MTSU/BRAA. It also requires that student-athletes do something in return (sign an autograph, post on social media, make an appearance, etc.). We don't have an official collective yet, but there is interest in creating one, and doing so in the near future.

In the mean time, the Student-Athlete Impact Fund is a great solution! Here's the link to make a gift:

Thanks for jumping in.

For those of us who aren't as familiar with the ins & outs of NIL and collectives, would the Student-Athlete Impact Fund be the MT equivalent of a collective?

Just as I promised in so many posts, with Stockstill gone, i'm back in. I just donated to the SA Impact Fund. When you guys get the collective up and running, i'm in there as well.

I'd also like to see about setting up a monthly donation to the BRAA - you guys need to get that part of your website up and running as well.

I'm excited to be a part of MT athletics again.

That's awesome!
Thanks for jumping in.

For those of us who aren't as familiar with the ins & outs of NIL and collectives, would the Student-Athlete Impact Fund be the MT equivalent of a collective?
No. This is "Alston money" based on the Supreme Court case of NCAA v. Alston. Very different from NIL money, but another way for student-athletes to get paid.

Check out this article to learn more: https://www.on3.com/college/wiscons...e-court-of-the-united-states-brett-kavanaugh/

Just as I promised in so many posts, with Stockstill gone, i'm back in. I just donated to the SA Impact Fund. When you guys get the collective up and running, i'm in there as well.

I'd also like to see about setting up a monthly donation to the BRAA - you guys need to get that part of your website up and running as well.

I'm excited to be a part of MT athletics again.
Awesome!! We greatly appreciate your support. Just call the BRAA at 615-898-2210 and they'll set you up with a monthly payment plan. It's super easy!

Reactions: RaiderDoug
@ldeleon5

Lee, would you mind ranking them in order of importance.

I was thinking of taking the money I am going to donate and split it up between the three and give the most to the one that needs it the most.

Build Blue
BRAA
Student Fund

Am I missing any others?

Last edited:
Student Athlete Impact Fund gets distributed to all sports, women's softball, baseball, etc. Very diluted, and honestly I think the title 9 sports already get enough funding respective to what they bring to the table.

If you want to focus on giving to men's basketball or football, you need to give through the NIL club links.

Below is a link that will allow you to donate directly to our football team. Currently, this is the only way you can directly put money into their pockets until we get a legit collective.

Reactions: ewglenn
looks like there will be a lawsuit over how NIL money is distributed. If I understand the plaintiff's side of things, they believe a female member on a university bowling team should receive as much NIL money as someone like the Manning kid who will be the Longhorns QB.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: mtfblue and MTLynn
looks like there will be a lawsuit over how NIL money is distributed. If I understand the plaintiff's side of things, they believe a female member on a university bowling team should receive as much NIL money as someone like the Manning kid who will be the Longhorns QB.

NIL is free enterprise separate from the university, so this will be for not

Who is our most marketable athlete? Football player? Who is MT’s biggest social media influencer/athlete?

I get how to use NIL for current players, but not targets? Suppose, hypothetically, you are an owner of an apparel startup.

You can pay an athlete to model clothing and you can pay an athlete to sell T shirts with their name on it and they get a cut.

How does it work for recruits? I am a MT fan and as long as you go to MT, we will use you as a model/market your name?

I’m fuzzy on how that part works and what would be best for us….hypothetically speaking of course.

Who is our most marketable athlete? Football player? Who is MT’s biggest social media influencer/athlete?

I get how to use NIL for current players, but not targets? Suppose, hypothetically, you are an owner of an apparel startup.

You can pay an athlete to model clothing and you can pay an athlete to sell T shirts with their name on it and they get a cut.

How does it work for recruits? I am a MT fan and as long as you go to MT, we will use you as a model/market your name?

I’m fuzzy on how that part works and what would be best for us….hypothetically speaking of course.
It's a gray area. "Technically" it isn't supposed to be used to entice a recruit to come here. But eventually all will get a set amount from collectives, then once they get here the endorsements and sponsorships begin.

Example OK St pays every football player $1-1.2k per month. Pretty sure WVU does as well. But the coach can tell someone who tells someone etc who tells the collective "hey, we've got a 5star QB who is going to be awesome." Then the collective talks to the car dealership that is a member or the gas station owner. And next thing you know he announces his commitment on X and a week later there's a cardboard stand up of him by the checkout in a school uniform.

We need a collective. Even if we don't do base payments to players, a business can join and use the kid in advertisements. That's what our Exchange is supposed to be for, but it isn't marketed very well at all.

It's a gray area. "Technically" it isn't supposed to be used to entice a recruit to come here. But eventually all will get a set amount from collectives, then once they get here the endorsements and sponsorships begin.

Example OK St pays every football player $1-1.2k per month. Pretty sure WVU does as well. But the coach can tell someone who tells someone etc who tells the collective "hey, we've got a 5star QB who is going to be awesome." Then the collective talks to the car dealership that is a member or the gas station owner. And next thing you know he announces his commitment on X and a week later there's a cardboard stand up of him by the checkout in a school uniform.

We need a collective. Even if we don't do base payments to players, a business can join and use the kid in advertisements. That's what our Exchange is supposed to be for, but it isn't marketed very well at all.

My neighbor’s son at tOSU is selling T-shirts with his name / number on it for $34. It gave me an idea.

Suppose I recently acquired an apparel start up. Suppose we marketed custom T-shirts for $15. Suppose I was thinking I might increase T sales by selling some T-shirts with a MT athlete’s name on it in Royal Blue for $25-$35 and would kick the extra revenue to the player. Since it’s a start up, the advertising budget is low, so besides a nominal fee and some free gear to start, the amount of $$ for the Ayer would be based on provided based on sales.

My sales would hopefully go up and the player would get $10-20 per copy sold. Not a bad deal….all hypothetically speaking.

Also hypothetically could sell customized royal blue jersey with the players name and kick the mark up profit to the player as well.

I’m just wondering about the effort/interest from a player or our fan’s perspective.

For example, I know Manning 16 or Tebow 15 tshirts would have sold thousands of copies, but who is our most marketable player? If you saw X player’s T for sale, knowing it’s for NIL or just as a gift for your kids/grandkids, would you buy?

Who thinks a "salary cap" will eventually be implemented to promote parity, causing schools to pay athletes under the table again like they've always done? Athletes should definitely be able to earn money off their N, I, L. But this whole official NIL thing stinks. It's going to make college football more boring. A handful of teams, the same teams, year-in-year-out, competing for the "championship". I'd rather just see a straight-up minor league football system. And if I had Musk money, we'd have one.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I’m just wondering about the effort/interest from a player or our fan’s perspective.

Your idea is a good one. The effort/interest from MT fans perspective would be about the same as the fan base of a high school football team. Maybe even less. Every high school game I attended this season had more fans in the stands than is seen at a MT game.

We have the Athlete's Thread deal, which is nice for the players, but the selection is small and the costs are ridiculous. If I'm paying $60 for a hoodie it better dadgum well have a Nike check on it or UA or something. Same for a $35 t-shirt.

We never are going to compete with power schools for players and $. Just a reality. I need to do some research on NIL at our peer institutions.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
We have the Athlete's Thread deal, which is nice for the players, but the selection is small and the costs are ridiculous. If I'm paying $60 for a hoodie it better dadgum well have a Nike check on it or UA or something. Same for a $35 t-shirt.
I honestly had no idea about the Athlete’s Thread.

You’re right about the price and selection.

I honestly had no idea about the Athlete’s Thread.

You’re right about the price and selection.
I am ordering a basketball jersey. Several years ago when we had a football game on Facebook (such a stupid media deal) they had a triva contest each quarter. I won a gray game jersey from 2018. When the Athlete's Thread was open last year I asked Chelsea and Lee for a gray basketball jersey like our boys were wearing last year. They came through this year. I created an account and got a 15% off coupon. $85 for a jersey is about normal. Even with a coupon though, $30 for a non-branded t-shirt is a bit much. I'd rather just give them the $30 via a collective knowing they'd get all of it.

I am ordering a basketball jersey. Several years ago when we had a football game on Facebook (such a stupid media deal) they had a triva contest each quarter. I won a gray game jersey from 2018. When the Athlete's Thread was open last year I asked Chelsea and Lee for a gray basketball jersey like our boys were wearing last year. They came through this year. I created an account and got a 15% off coupon. $85 for a jersey is about normal. Even with a coupon though, $30 for a non-branded t-shirt is a bit much. I'd rather just give them the $30 via a collective knowing they'd get all of it.

If we had a collective selling MT gear without that stupid Pegasus (get rid of it Lee!!!), then I would pay more for that gear. I won’t buy another Pegasus covered MT shirt or hat again.

If we had a collective selling MT gear without that stupid Pegasus (get rid of it Lee!!!), then I would pay more for that gear. I won’t buy another Pegasus covered MT shirt or hat again.
100%. I've got a few things but the bulk of my stuff, pullovers and hoodies especially, are just the timeless classic perfect never change it block MT.

Yes! This times infinity.

I specifically go out of my way to not by anything with SU or State University on it, and really try hard to not buy anything without just the plain block MT.

Who thinks a "salary cap" will eventually be implemented to promote parity, causing schools to pay athletes under the table again like they've always done? Athletes should definitely be able to earn money off their N, I, L. But this whole official NIL thing stinks. It's going to make college football more boring. A handful of teams, the same teams, year-in-year-out, competing for the "championship". I'd rather just see a straight-up minor league football system. And if I had Musk money, we'd have one.

Nobody cares about the casual fan's opinion and they havn't for a long time. The only thing that matters in college athletics anymore is the Blue Bloods.

Every single rule and process the last 2 decades has been made exclusively with them in mind and it will remain that way going forward. You might get tired of Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, and Ohio State every year....but those schools and their conferences are totally okay with it. Even the little Vanderbilt's of the world can live with it because they get to leech off the big $$$$ + hold on to the hope that if somehow they go undefeated, they'll get to play under the big lights too.

I have bitched and complained about it for over a decade. It doesn't matter. Nobody cares about G5 fans or the plights of what they deem as unworthy universities.

We should so do this. I know it's been said before as Eric Church did one for UNC. We could have student artists open, then alumni with a few artist/writers like Erin Enderlin playing a few songs, then Chris Young and Mitchell Tenpenny headline it.

I say make it part of a Spring Game or Family Fun Day in the fall. Tailgating, meet & greet, concert that evening. Make it a true NIL festival type of thing. Keep the stage simple for an easy set-up. Lots of possibilities. @ldeleon5

We should so do this. I know it's been said before as Eric Church did one for UNC. We could have student artists open, then alumni with a few artist/writers like Erin Enderlin playing a few songs, then Chris Young and Mitchell Tenpenny headline it.

I say make it part of a Spring Game or Family Fun Day in the fall. Tailgating, meet & greet, concert that evening. Make it a true NIL festival type of thing. Keep the stage simple for an easy set-up. Lots of possibilities. @ldeleon5

Maybe Sam Hunt would be willing to do a concert

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
0ver the years I have talked with Chris quite a bit. Less so in recent years as my support waned. So I emailed Chris after the situation with Stock/Mason about getting back involved since I had completely pulled out of all giving/support to ask about getting back engaged and where the most impact could be had in the near term. I was asking because I’m not sure what’s needed for them most right now whether its BRAA, NIL, or Build Blue.

No response.

In fact, no one has once ever been in contact with me after I stopped buying tickets and donating. No one. I’ll probably just do it on my own anyway but it just goes to show that we do not have a well run operation to maximize donors. Yeah, six and seven figure donors are absolutely a priority but they can create momentum too with people in the $1000 to $5000 a year range. And even lower. The 110% thing they tried I don’t think is effective because you need a larger number of donors. We need our own IPTAY to get people involved early and at lower levels to create the volume of givers and then encourage something like a 110% after you’ve reached a set threshold - whatever that number is. Just my two cents but this is why we’ve been behind for so long. The money isn’t there. For this above and all the reasons we’ve complained about over the years.

0ver the years I have talked with Chris quite a bit. Less so in recent years as my support waned. So I emailed Chris after the situation with Stock/Mason about getting back involved since I had completely pulled out of all giving/support to ask about getting back engaged and where the most impact could be had in the near term. I was asking because I’m not sure what’s needed for them most right now whether its BRAA, NIL, or Build Blue.

No response.

In fact, no one has once ever been in contact with me after I stopped buying tickets and donating. No one. I’ll probably just do it on my own anyway but it just goes to show that we do not have a well run operation to maximize donors. Yeah, six and seven figure donors are absolutely a priority but they can create momentum too with people in the $1000 to $5000 a year range. And even lower. The 110% thing they tried I don’t think is effective because you need a larger number of donors. We need our own IPTAY to get people involved early and at lower levels to create the volume of givers and then encourage something like a 110% after you’ve reached a set threshold - whatever that number is. Just my two cents but this is why we’ve been behind for so long. The money isn’t there. For this above and all the reasons we’ve complained about over the years.
I agree on all your points for what we need. I've reached out to Chris once during the MAC flirting. He did respond then. I've never reached out to him any other time.

I will say this though. Lee or Hans are who you want to talk to and they've been great responding and contacting to me. But I'm also a newer donor (only in my second year of BRAA) so I can't attest to how they have handled previous donors. But I am for sure not a big one with only several hundred a year.

Reactions: ldeleon5

No response.

I would love to connect with you! My email is lee.deleon@MTSU.edu. Would love to grab lunch/coffee after I get back to the office on January 4th. Shoot me an email with your availability.

I just received what appears to be a signed letter from Hans and the BRAA thanks to my measly donation a few weeks ago.

I dug a bit of a hole for myself with the holidays, but in the spring I’ll be joining the BRAA and buying a pair or season tix.

I would love to connect with you! My email is lee.deleon@MTSU.edu. Would love to grab lunch/coffee after I get back to the office on January 4th. Shoot me an email with your availability.

Thanks. I'm 12 hours away, so probably won't be able to connect in person anytime soon, but I'll be in touch.

Just a thought here. Reminiscent to the donor selection check list on the back of a driver's license why can't a similar NIL checklist be posted on the back of Blue Raider season tickets? If it's a ticket for women's basketball vs football or men's basketball so be it. Why can't there be a $2 NIL check off for each game stub turned in? As ticket stubs are turned in there would be 2 different bins to deposit tickets. You could tell ticket taker to stub or not stub your ticket for NIL donation. I don't see any violation because this would be funded by the fan. Of course the university would have to agree to diverting some of their money at the fan's said request to a Blue Raider NIL fund. Is something like this optional or out of the question? It seems like a very easy way to fund NIL for many of our sports programs.

Just a thought here. Reminiscent to the donor selection check list on the back of a driver's license why can't a similar NIL checklist be posted on the back of Blue Raider season tickets? If it's a ticket for women's basketball vs football or men's basketball so be it. Why can't there be a $2 NIL check off for each game stub turned in? As ticket stubs are turned in there would be 2 different bins to deposit tickets. You could tell ticket taker to stub or not stub your ticket for NIL donation. I don't see any violation because this would be funded by the fan. Of course the university would have to agree to diverting some of their money at the fan's said request to a Blue Raider NIL fund. Is something like this optional or out of the question? It seems like a very easy way to fund NIL for many of our sports programs.
Good idea! However, we're trying to go completely digital with our tickets, so there won't be actual ticket stubs. However, the idea of a portion of the ticket sales going towards NIL is one that has been and will be considered. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: ewglenn
As a follow up, season tickets for women's basketball last year was $125/seat. If we have 15 home games next year then $2 × 15 games is only $30 more per ticket for $155 annually. If 2,000 season tickets were sold that could add up with $2 per ticket per game going to an NIL fund. I realize not every ticket is going to be stubbed each game for an NIL donation, but the funds would definitely accrue.
For that matter if $2 is too much maybe there could be a $1 option.

Reactions: ldeleon5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT