ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL new video board

Hope we go bigger than FIU's but I wouldn't count on it.

Well, if what little of the plans for a 'football facility' are what I've seen the south end zone will be where that goes and not sure where the replacement, hopefully larger board would go. Doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense to put a lot of money into one if at some point in the near future it has to be dismantled/moved/relocated due to construction of a endzone facility.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Is a video board really what is needed to better the in game experience? Isn't the video board that we have < 10 years old? How much does a video board cost versus maintaining the one that we currently have...does anyone know?

Personally, I would try to have more fan interaction and have wifi. Maybe even create a "pinewood social" area where the tarps are.

Derailment: Giving money to university athletics is so complicated. I should be able to go to an app and thumb 5 bucks if I want to. If I get a bonus and want to throw 50 bucks to the department outside of a membership, I should be able to just tap and pay. Also, would it be too hard to ask Murphy Center to put up long range plans begging alumni to contribute to these things? How cool would it be to have a simple page with 3 pictures: Donate to IPF, or Donate to Murphy Center, etc. Thumb 50 bucks and move on.

I say just scrap the video board idea. We don't need it and any $$ we can use toward an indoor facility is $$ well spent.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Derailment: Giving money to university athletics is so complicated. I should be able to go to an app and thumb 5 bucks if I want to. If I get a bonus and want to throw 50 bucks to the department outside of a membership, I should be able to just tap and pay. Also, would it be too hard to ask Murphy Center to put up long range plans begging alumni to contribute to these things? How cool would it be to have a simple page with 3 pictures: Donate to IPF, or Donate to Murphy Center, etc. Thumb 50 bucks and move on.

I can't agree with this enough.

I went on a rant about a month ago about how I got a bonus at work and was going to throw some to the university.

It's literally a pain in the arse to give them money. So I kept it.

Is a video board really what is needed to better the in game experience? Isn't the video board that we have < 10 years old? How much does a video board cost versus maintaining the one that we currently have...does anyone know?

Personally, I would try to have more fan interaction and have wifi. Maybe even create a "pinewood social" area where the tarps are.

One would think they could get the Computer Science department to come up with a legit app where fans / boosters / etc could buy tickets from their phone and donate to the school with the push of a button.

Last I heard the end zone/football facility is a higher priority...

Maybe by the time the Athletic Department celebrates CRS' Silver Anniversary as head coach here.....
Endzone facility is probably cheaper and could create an additional revenue stream (if designed correctly)

we need to take what wku did for there new side and you could that or look at what troy broke ground on, a 4 level endzone facility. that thing will be off the chain. so the design last week while down there.

Last I heard the end zone/football facility is a higher priority...

Maybe by the time the Athletic Department celebrates CRS' Silver Anniversary as head coach here.....

I gathered that there were some rumblings about this when the AD was trying to negotiate the new contract for Kermit. I posted somewhere here in these threads that the new football endzone bldg would likely have to be a high priority to make more space for the basketball program. It seems the football program just might benefit from basketball's success in regard to this needed office space.

As far as I know, there hasn't been much of any increase in athletic dept office space over the last 20+ years. With the athletic depts growth, you know more and renovated space is needed. Bottomline, they need the new football space to boot the football offices out of The Murph to make more room for basketball in The Murph.

I posted about this exact subject in another thread in the last couple of weeks. If people want to or are willing to give you money, you would think they would make that as easy as possible.

The average recruit would favor the video board.

I completely agree about the donation part.

If the average recruit favors new video boards, then I would expect an uptick in the caliber of players coming to Middle. Same goes for IPF or any other infrastructure improvements. I think return on investments need to be tracked. If we put in new video boards or an IPF, our win %, recruting stars, and attendance need to go up as well.

The average recruit would favor the video board.

I completely agree about the donation part.

If the average recruit favors new video boards, then I would expect an uptick in the caliber of players coming to Middle. Same goes for IPF or any other infrastructure improvements. I think return on investments need to be tracked. If we put in new video boards or an IPF, our win %, recruting stars, and attendance need to go up as well.
So with a new video board we may actually win a bowl game. Awesome. I'll chip in.

An indoor practice facility is more important than a new video board. There are high school programs with indoor facilities, come on MT.

Moreover, the average recruit these days is ultra connected to media. Believe it or not, the basketball team making waves the last few yrs in the tourney resonates with kids. As well as Stockstill getting it done. MT has gone from the OVC, to the SunBelt, to CUSA so fast that they "appear" to recruits as a team out of nowhere.

And Stockstill is sticking around?! He hasn't shown signs of going elsewhere. This appearance of stability is huge when it comes to recruiting.

I listened to CM on All Sports Talk yesterday...the most important "big" project is to move the FB offices and locker rooms out of Murphy center - this is a big bottle neck....the are hiring an architecture firm to help them determine the best location for this new FB operations center.

I bet this happens way before an IPF.

I listened to CM on All Sports Talk yesterday...the most important "big" project is to move the FB offices and locker rooms out of Murphy center - this is a big bottle neck....the are hiring an architecture firm to help them determine the best location for this new FB operations center.

And it should. We need new fb offices and training rooms before the ipf.

Massaro joins the show at a little over halfway through the podcast...

http://www.wgnsradio.com/all-sports-talk-4-21-17-cms-39049

I would guess that the most logical location would be to completely expand and blow up the area where the weight room/mtg rooms are now. The offices could go above there looking out over the practice fields......or if they go high enough, over Red Floyd. That is if they want it close to the fields.

Of course, other areas include the large plot of land near the Greenland/Clark corner.....overlooking my old Rottingham home.....

Or, they could squeeze it between Murphy and Alumni.

I would guess that the most logical location would be to completely expand and blow up the area where the weight room/mtg rooms are now. The offices could go above there looking out over the practice fields......or if they go high enough, over Red Floyd. That is if they want it close to the fields.

Of course, other areas include the large plot of land near the Greenland/Clark corner.....overlooking my old Rottingham home.....

Or, they could squeeze it between Murphy and Alumni

I think that is where they have it based on an updated campus development map I saw somewhere.

I think that is where they have it based on an updated campus development map I saw somewhere.

IIRC, the planned location is in the south end zone- similar to other stadiums that have the facility backing up into the field. Long term, Voorhies and Midgett will be demolished, and Faulkinberry will be rerouted further south.

IIRC, the planned location is in the south end zone- similar to other stadiums that have the facility backing up into the field. Long term, Voorhies and Midgett will be demolished, and Faulkinberry will be rerouted further south.

I, too, thought I remembered seeing something similar on the university masterplan a little while back. One of those facilities backing up to the stadium over the end of the stadium where the current video/scoreboard is located. It also seems to fit with the long talked about rumors of some of those old business bldgs being removed. The backside part that is as ugly as sin.

I'm guessing that masterplan stuff is more of an idea or long term wishlist that can be changed as better or more realistic opportunities present themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT