ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Net Rankings

Funny how MT just secured a 26 point victory at home & the NET flip flopped us from #37 to #38 against a Tennessee team we already beat by double digits earlier this year. What the heck?!?
Which is why nobody (including the selection committee) takes the NET seriously. Why its still brought up on this board is beyond me. Top 25 NET ranking got us a matchup against a 6 seed that was underseeded and has been one of the top 10 teams in WBB this year.

Play more than one game in the NCAAT and schedule (and beat) multiple legit top 25 teams. We had our chance against Princeton but choked it away.

Reactions: MTTim
Which is why nobody (including the selection committee) takes the NET seriously. Why its still brought up on this board is beyond me. Top 25 NET ranking got us a matchup against a 6 seed that was underseeded and has been one of the top 10 teams in WBB this year.

Play more than one game in the NCAAT and schedule (and beat) multiple legit top 25 teams. We had our chance against Princeton but choked it away.
People bring it up because it is indeed one of the (many) factors when the NCAAT Selection Committee makes their choices. It matters!

There are 32 division 1 conferences. Each of those 32 conf champs qualify for the tourney. Then there's the top 25. Cumulatively that's a maximum of only 47 teams out of 68 needed for the tournament. Probably no more than 15 of the top 25 will be conference Champs.
In essence neither the top 25, nor the 32 conference Champs can be the only qualifying parameters for a 68 team tourney. Just doing the math.
Granted the NET is not perfect, but it's better than nothing for a basis of judging so many available at large seeds. Unless the NCAA wants to start using an independent measurement source like the KenPom ratings.
Don't think that's going to happen though. The NCAA kind of has the market on the "we can do anything you can do better" market.

There are 32 division 1 conferences. Each of those 32 conf champs qualify for the tourney. Then there's the top 25. Cumulatively that's a maximum of only 47 teams out of 68 needed for the tournament. Probably no more than 15 of the top 25 will be conference Champs.
In essence neither the top 25, nor the 32 conference Champs can be the only qualifying parameters for a 68 team tourney. Just doing the math.
Granted the NET is not perfect, but it's better than nothing for a basis of judging so many available at large seeds. Unless the NCAA wants to start using an independent measurement source like the KenPom ratings.
Don't think that's going to happen though. The NCAA kind of has the market on the "we can do anything you can do better" market.
Was not a math major but think 32 + 25 = 57, correct?😊

People bring it up because it is indeed one of the (many) factors when the NCAAT Selection Committee makes their choices. It matters!
If it mattered, MT wouldn't have been a double digit seed last year with a top 30 NET. Likely it only matters when trying to seed P4 teams.

I wish it did mattered, but you don't reward teams for blowing out alot of bad to mediocre teams

Does anyone find it strange that we still haven't received a single vote in either poll? I know our conference competition isn't strong, but the win streak and winning margin is impressive. Personally, I kinda like it as I think it serves as a motivator. As of today, Bracketology has us against Duke as a 10 seed in Iowa City. I'd be ok with that. Iowa would likely await the winner. I'd be ok with that too. If it happened, we'd either be the talk of the country with an upset or go out against arguably the most electric female basketball player ever. I love watching her play, but she isn't always on and the team that surrounds her is good but not great. In other words, I'd like our chances.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I think it is a little bit of disrespect for sure. But, I think it's extra motivation like you said. We can't let up at this point because people already aren't giving us a fair shake. And I agree -- that matchup would not be bad at all

Would love to get that match up with Duke and maybe Iowa. That would be a great trip. If for some reason we did not get in the Big Dance then I would like our chances of winning the WNIT.

It's been a long 14 years since we have even had a competitive loss in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament. In 2010 we lost to an up & coming Miss State by 4 points. That was our last tough hard fought game. From that point on we've been dominated by all of our 1st round opponents. Honestly based on CRI's NCAA history the last 13 years I'll be pleased even if we lose with a competitive 1st round match up.
Starting in 2011 & up to last year we've looked very week against true NCAA tournament caliber teams. Personally I'm not anticipating a 1st round victory due to some of our coaching handicaps (zero timeout usage, Starting 5 averaging 36-40 minutes even when a player is shooting only 1-11) sort of thing.
So even if we do get beat by 20 I won't complain since that's how most of our NCAA's have turned out for years. Hopefully I'm wrong. If we pull out a win no one will be more happy than me to eat some Blue Hay that day.

Latest bracketology has us #11 seed facing #6 Syracuse in Storrs, CT, with a potential matchup with UConn waiting (they'd face #14 Marshall).

Lady Raiders now up to a #10 seed again vs #7 seed North Carolina in the Columbus, OH Bracket.
Regardless of what happens in the conference tournament, I think this is our ceiling. If we lose a game this week we will drop to at least a 12 seed or, possibly not making the tournament at all.
We get zero respect due to our conference and our lack of winning an NCAA tournament game.
I hope we get in as a 10, win and screw up everyone's bracket.

A 10 seed for a conference as bad as C-USA shows some respect. Who's the last team we beat that was ranked at the end of the season? At some point, you have to perform. When Middle did that at the end of the Stephany Smith Era & beginning of Insell, they were rewarded with favorable seedings

Middle has been among the top 50 programs long enough now that they should be able to survive a loss in the conference tourney

Found it noteworthy that it's implied MT is in regardless of the game tommorrow
Great! Helps that we're playing the #2 team in the NET for the championship. We fell to #41 after yesterday's game but can make that difference back today.

A 10 seed for a conference as bad as C-USA shows some respect. Who's the last team we beat that was ranked at the end of the season? At some point, you have to perform. When Middle did that at the end of the Stephany Smith Era & beginning of Insell, they were rewarded with favorable seedings

Middle has been among the top 50 programs long enough now that they should be able to survive a loss in the conference tourney
Louisville was ranked #14 in the final poll last year after we crushed them at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT