ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Net Rankings

MTFAN61

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2022
May be a little early, but when you have a pretty good team you always like to see how your team rates against the competition.

Middle Tennessee: #56
ESPN Bracketology prediction: #11 seed
Fairly respectable placement thus far. Give anything if we could have kept it together against Princeton. The positive about that game I think that game toughened up our mental fortitude more than any other so far.

For what it's worth here's current ranking of our opponent losses,
Michigan: #32
Princeton: #45
Belmont: #74

MT had dropped to #60 after road loss to GCU. That loss was in a stretch where the ladies played basically 1 game in 30 day stretch. As with many teams this group plays much better when scheduling has smoother balance.
After 2 road wins Lady Raiders back up to #54. With 2 upcoming home games hopefully we can climb into top 50 by next week.

ESPN Women's Bracketology has currently removed MT as the AQ for CUSA. MT has now been placed as a 1st 4 out. FIU sporting a 12-5 record is ESPN's new selection as AQ for CUSA as a #15 seed.
This should provide some chalkboard motivation for MT's coaches & players going forward.

ESPN Women's Bracketology has currently removed MT as the AQ for CUSA. MT has now been placed as a 1st 4 out. FIU sporting a 12-5 record is ESPN's new selection as AQ for CUSA as a #15 seed.
This should provide some chalkboard motivation for MT's coaches & players going forward.
My guess ESPN uses the conference algorithm to place AQ (FIU is 3-0 to MT’s 2-0)? Charlie Creme couldn’t be serious to select FIU over MT or WKU.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
My guess ESPN uses the conference algorithm to place AQ (FIU is 3-0 to MT’s 2-0)? Charlie Creme couldn’t be serious to select FIU over MT or WKU.
Good point on the algorithm. With both teams currently sporting 4-0 conference records MT with a #53 NET should be in the latest Bracketology over #178 FIU this upcoming Tuesday. Will be interesting to see if they retain their previous 12 seed or dropped a bit lower.

Think it speaks well of our program that despite the lack of success in the NCAAT, failing to win the conference tourney doesn't completely kill our chances to get back there. Hopefully UT can continue their recent uptick and help Middle in the process

One of the best things that's happened recently for the Lady Raiders is the return of Rickea Jackson to the Lady Vols lineup in Knoxville.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
One of the best things that's happened recently for the Lady Raiders is the return of Rickea Jackson to the Lady Vols lineup in Knoxville.
And she is helping them dominate. That win is gonna be a major benefit for our NET ranking and NCAA bracket positioning assuming we get in.

Ladies get highest Net Ranking this season at #49. A shame that schools like Kansas & Arizona get #44 & #45 rankings with 10-9 records. Benefits of having a P5 home schedule. Out of 6 or 7 attempts of beating a top 25 team at home you're bound to beat at least 1 annually.

Ladies get highest Net Ranking this season at #49. A shame that schools like Kansas & Arizona get #44 & #45 rankings with 10-9 records. Benefits of having a P5 home schedule. Out of 6 or 7 attempts of beating a top 25 team at home you're bound to beat at least 1 annually.
Being in a bad conference doesn't help matters either. Might as well be in the OVC

16 Conference games should be the max. I don't know what the schedule looks like with 11 teams next year.

Lady Raiders keep climbing. Huge road win propels ladies 3 spots higher in NET Rankings from #50 to #47.
With next 3 games at home we have a chance to make a strong charge. Anticipate we should start getting some top 25 votes before the next 3 games are finished.

Tennessee & Ole Miss jumps Middle Tennessee after a couple of big wins. Raiders back down to 50 in NET Rankings.
We need to take no prisoners tomorrow. As we get closer to tournament selection date P5 teams will look to inch up higher & higher. Lady Raiders need to blow out every team on their schedule to fight for position.

Still climbing after the weekend. New Net Ranking high of #45.
Middle Tennessee joins UNLV, Princeton, & Green Bay as only non Big 6 schools in the Top 50.

Let’s keep that going! Going to be important to run up the scores against conference foes the rest of the way…

Don't think running it up is really gonna help. Until MT can string some wins in the tourney, they're going to be a 10-12 seed. Maybe if the conference was better

After these next 2 home games are complete I think a good telltale sign for this team will be how we fare on next week's road trip out west. It will be a good barometer of how this team compares to last year's 28 win squad.
Last year was an excellent year, but that team had its issues. The trip to UTEP & UTSA were disasters. Poor play both games showing maturity problems on the road got the best of the Lady Raiders. UTEP was a decent team, but there was no excuse against UTSA.
If we can finish out this week properly followed by a good showing at NMSU & UTEP next week it may show we have the make up to perform well in the big dance in March.

After these next 2 home games are complete I think a good telltale sign for this team will be how we fare on next week's road trip out west. It will be a good barometer of how this team compares to last year's 28 win squad.
Last year was an excellent year, but that team had its issues. The trip to UTEP & UTSA were disasters. Poor play both games showing maturity problems on the road got the best of the Lady Raiders. UTEP was a decent team, but there was no excuse against UTSA.
If we can finish out this week properly followed by a good showing at NMSU & UTEP next week it may show we have the make up to perform well in the big dance in March.
UTEP has matched up with us and played us well in recent years. Even earlier this year, we couldn't put them away. I agree that this trip could seperate this team and last years group. Personally, I feel this team is much better. That doesn't mean they won't have a slip up but I like our chances provided everyone stays healthy. UTEP's Jane Asinde is a match-up nightmare and it's a long trip out west. We hold serve this week and weekend, we are firmly planted in the drivers seat. How we handle that view of everyone behind in the rear view mirror could be determined by this challenging road trip.

Don't think running it up is really gonna help. Until MT can string some wins in the tourney, they're going to be a 10-12 seed. Maybe if the conference was better
Running up the score helps the NET ranking. That is why we rose several spots after the WKU win.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Coach had replied in his post game interview of the JAX St game he needed Gregory to hit a 3 pointer at the end. He wanted MT to beat a 19 point spread metric to help with our NET. She drilled a 3, & we won by 21 or 22.
Every since we started pushing our scoring margins since our last loss MT has seen its NET jump from #60 to #45.

I don't disagree it's going to be hard for MT to go higher than a 10 seed with the NCAA, but a good NET helps to keep us from a 13 or 14 seed. I believe right now CRI is trying to get as high a NET as possible to insure an at large bid in case of an upset in the CUSA tourney.
To tell the truth I might rather be a 10 or 11 seed compared to an 8 or 9 seed for possible 2nd round pairing.

I don't disagree it's going to be hard for MT to go higher than a 10 seed with the NCAA, but a good NET helps to keep us from a 13 or 14 seed. I believe right now CRI is trying to get as high a NET as possible to insure an at large bid in case of an upset in the CUSA tourney.
To tell the truth I might rather be a 10 or 11 seed compared to an 8 or 9 seed for possible 2nd round pairing.
Agreed I think 10-12 is really where you want to be if your not hosting. Didn't we have a top 25 NET last year (while also being ranked at one point), but still got an 11 seed. Non-Con schedule just isn't tough enough to make up for a bad conference.

Need to get back to the early years of Insell and put together a schedule like Liberty did

ESPN Bracketology moves Middle Tennessee up to a #10 seed vs #7 seed Michigan St. out west to the LA bracket.
The opposing bracket is #2 UCLA vs #15 Hawaii

College Sports Madness has traditionally kept MT as a 12 seed in Women's Bracketology.
02/06 they moved Middle Tennessee to a 10 seed for the 1st time in the Colorado bracket.
#10 Middle Tennessee
#7 Penn St

How do you think we will handle our trip out West this week? Will last year's failure to UTEP & UTSA carry over to this year's trip to NMSU & UTEP again, or will it serve as a learning tool for this year? No doubt I feel we have the physical skills on our side. I think this week is all about mental discipline & maturity of our squad on the road.

How do you think we will handle our trip out West this week? Will last year's failure to UTEP & UTSA carry over to this year's trip to NMSU & UTEP again, or will it serve as a learning tool for this year? No doubt I feel we have the physical skills on our side. I think this week is all about mental discipline & maturity of our squad on the road.
I think they'll be very ready to go this time around after the disaster we saw last year.

Another big blowout win on the road could get us even higher in the NET (though ideally we won't be in an 8/9 seed to possibly go up against a #1 seed...)

Funny how MT just secured a 26 point victory at home & the NET flip flopped us from #37 to #38 against a Tennessee team we already beat by double digits earlier this year. What the heck?!?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT