ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL My opinion piece: The Home stretch!

That's Middle... What we've all come to expect and the powers that be consider a successful season. Contrary to what Lee said about not accepting mediocrity in the administration, it what we've been fed for years. They cannot complain about mediocre crowds when all we see is mediocre results.

I see so much talk about 8-4

#1. That's not going to happen

#2. We would have 8 wins, but it's very likely not a single one of those wins would be against a team that finishes with a winning record.

#3. This is not a good football team. This is not a good coaching staff. This is not a good product. The entire program has been dreadful and barely treading water for far too long.

It's dead. Stockstill, Massaro, and McPhee have taken the program off life support and killed it. It is time to move on.

I don't put a ton of stock into ESPN's FPI, but it is a tool to look at. Right now it predicts us to go 6.7-5.3 (pretty much 7-5) with a 17.8% chance to win out. That 17.8% chance to win out is second highest in CUSA right now. I don't think we win out, but it is definitely not impossible as the FPI also favors us in each of the remaining games. If what the FPI predicts comes true, only 2 of our 8 wins will come against FBS opponents that are bowl eligible and those two teams would be 6-6. That means we would be 2-4 vs. bowl eligible teams and 6-0 vs. teams with losing records. Stock beats bad teams and loses to good teams.

I don't put a ton of stock into ESPN's FPI, but it is a tool to look at. Right now it predicts us to go 6.7-5.3 (pretty much 7-5) with a 17.8% chance to win out. That 17.8% chance to win out is second highest in CUSA right now. I don't think we win out, but it is definitely not impossible as the FPI also favors us in each of the remaining games. If what the FPI predicts comes true, only 2 of our 8 wins will come against FBS opponents that are bowl eligible and those two teams would be 6-6. That means we would be 2-4 vs. bowl eligible teams and 6-0 vs. teams with losing records. Stock beats bad teams and loses to good teams.

I totally get he doesn't make the schedule and for sure can't control that he is in the weakest conference (performance helping us move up not withstanding).

But not even counting your numbers above for this year, so through 2021 he is
92-96 against FBS
25-62 against FBS with winning record meaning .500 or better at the end of the season counting bowls

That makes him 67-34 against teams with losing records. Only winning 66% of games against teams with LOSING records.

For G5 which should really be what is counted
87-63 against G5
23-44 against G5 with winning record

That makes him 64-19 against G5 teams with a losing record. That's 77%. Better, but still means he is losing nearly a quarter of games against G5 teams with losing records.

Bad conference or not, any team worth a snot should be winning at least 90% of games against teams with losing records, especially for a 17yr coach.

This is precisely what makes MT football so bland. Rinse and repeat, it's virtually the same season every year. We're stuck in football's version of Groundhog day. We lose to our rivals and get just fat enough off of bottom feeders to just break even. Every few years we beat someone we're not supposed to. That's about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT