ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL MT @ Vanderbilt

Bad guys win 7-2.

In other baseball news, we were back in the first 4 out for D1 baseball projections going into this week.

If we went 3-1 this week, we had a shot of moving into an at large bid. Losing to Vandy probably means we need a sweep of USM to get an at large. Since even winning the series would be difficult, that Dores loss really kills our momentum.

I hate those whistlers.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I think we have to take 2 of 3, but we will also need a deep run in the conference tournament. If we can do that, we might have a shot. If the selection committee is like the basketball people, we'll have to win the tournament in Hattiesburg.

Since I came here this morning to say a few words about Space let me make an observation on this game.

I don't subscribe to any local print media anymore and I have no idea what is covered in the area media outside of Nashville and my county online sites. Regardless, this game is the only time MT BB has even been mentioned on local TV sports news that I have seen, we lost and the highlights shown were all VU.
I assume most casual fans think the the two in-state $EC schools are the only area colleges playing baseball since they are the only ones covered. From what I have seen highlights from every VU and UT-K game are available to our local TV channels since they are frequently shown. (UT-K only since gaining national rankings).

While the bat and ball sports are my least favorite team sports I still follow from a distance. If memory serves it wasn't so long ago that MT BB annually had home and home games each year with both VU and UT-K and we were very competitive. Since Corbin's arrival at VU coupled with Coach Pete's retirement, the expansion of money to the $EC schools and the easy availability of TV viewing for power conference teams MT and all other area schools are lost in the shuffle. Harder and harder to be competitive. The money spent making the BB facility "Regional Ready" in hindsight appears to have done little to keep MT BB competitive.

I still think XO 2 of 3 gets us in.

Usually 2-2 doesn’t move the needle in a week. I think that would up our RPI, but it’s going to depend on what the last 4 in do.

CUSA is in an odd spot this year. Depending on what happens in the next 2 weeks, you could argue 5 teams deserve in the tournament or would could end up as a one-bid conference. My gut says we get 2 maybe 3 teams in.

A big issue we have is UTSA, ODU & us are all grouped together in the standings and RPI plus they took the head to head series with us. If UTSA finishes ahead of us in the standings and beat us head to head, I can’t see the NCAA taking us over them.

We need UAB to win the series at UTSA, we win the series against USM and WKU to win versus ODU.

I can’t see us getting in over Wake Forest if they win this series versus NC St.

2 wins versus USM and making the conference tournament finals may do it. Hopefully we start that trip today.

Since I came here this morning to say a few words about Space let me make an observation on this game.

I don't subscribe to any local print media anymore and I have no idea what is covered in the area media outside of Nashville and my county online sites. Regardless, this game is the only time MT BB has even been mentioned on local TV sports news that I have seen, we lost and the highlights shown were all VU.
I assume most casual fans think the the two in-state $EC schools are the only area colleges playing baseball since they are the only ones covered. From what I have seen highlights from every VU and UT-K game are available to our local TV channels since they are frequently shown. (UT-K only since gaining national rankings).

While the bat and ball sports are my least favorite team sports I still follow from a distance. If memory serves it wasn't so long ago that MT BB annually had home and home games each year with both VU and UT-K and we were very competitive. Since Corbin's arrival at VU coupled with Coach Pete's retirement, the expansion of money to the $EC schools and the easy availability of TV viewing for power conference teams MT and all other area schools are lost in the shuffle. Harder and harder to be competitive. The money spent making the BB facility "Regional Ready" in hindsight appears to have done little to keep MT BB competitive.

Corbin plus his use of the Vandy financial aid advantage turned them into a powerhouse. Add Lipscomb and Belmont moving D1 in the late 90s and early 2000s plus UTKs new emergence and we are behind.

A lot more competition now and a missed opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT