ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING MT lands JUCO guard

Link to his JUCO profile below:

David Simmons

davidsimmons_18104014_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

With all the success MT has had over the last few years it's hard to find fault with how Davis has run the program. I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how this years recruiting class pans out.

But, (you knew there would be a but) it's hard to see getting commitments from a couple of JUCO players (one Simons and the other Simmons???) who were not heavily recruited nor ranked above the minimum according to my primary source: VerbalCommits.com. This is while we are still "in on" at least 5 high schoolers with above a 2 star rankings (We have lost seven of these higher-rated players that we were "in on" for the '17 class so far in the process and not all lost to power schools.) The recent success should, IMHO, show up in recruiting but I surely don't see it yet.

And all this while WKU has three 4 star commits (one JUCO, two high school - have we ever landed a 4 star?) for their '17 class and it appears that other C-USA teams are having potentially good classes.

With all the success MT has had over the last few years it's hard to find fault with how Davis has run the program. I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how this years recruiting class pans out.

But, (you knew there would be a but) it's hard to see getting commitments from a couple of JUCO players (one Simons and the other Simmons???) who were not heavily recruited nor ranked above the minimum according to my primary source: VerbalCommits.com. This is while we are still "in on" at least 5 high schoolers with above a 2 star rankings (We have lost seven of these higher-rated players that we were "in on" for the '17 class so far in the process and not all lost to power schools.) The recent success should, IMHO, show up in recruiting but I surely don't see it yet.

And all this while WKU has three 4 star commits (one JUCO, two high school - have we ever landed a 4 star?) for their '17 class and it appears that other C-USA teams are having potentially good classes.

I share your ongoing concern. At the same time, I'm hesitant about complaining and being overly negative in light of the recent success. I do wonder if over these last 5-6 years if Kermit has grown, developed, and improved in finding quality players regardless of recruiting rankings? More importantly, has Kermit improved and grown in finding those players who are a good match for his demanding and disciplined program? So far this recruiting season, it seems to be no different than most other recruiting seasons. If that turns out to be the case, it would be tremendously disappointing and frustrating.

To my fan addled mind, I too would hope and like to see some commitments coming in from 3 and 4 star HS players with maybe one JUCO highly sought after recruit. You know, maybe a player or two that show up on ESPN Top 300 or 100 or whatever the list is for basketball. It would be really nice to see a highly rated and sought after recruit ranked something like #75 in the nation out of HS. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but 5-6 years of consistent impressive success most recently topped off on the world stage by beating #2 nationally ranked Michigan State in the NCAA tournament would propel MT to the position of landing at least one highly sought after nationally ranked recruit. The recruit wouldn't even have to be a top 10 recruit, I'd be ecstatic to see a #91 ranking!

Another trend of concern with this developing recruiting class, MT will likely be losing the top performing experienced frontcourt players at the end of their Sr campaign in likes of Upshaw and Williams. It seems Kermit has recently been reloading plenty of backcourt players, but replacing some frontcourt players would appear to be a priority. Even if the younger guys Gamble and Thomas do develop nicely this year, there would likely be a serious lack of depth in the frontcourt if new frontcourt talent is not found. Given with what MT will be graduating, I guess I was expecting to see a lot more Forwards committing instead of all guards for this upcoming signing class.

Recruiting in hoops is so much different than football. So many more players fly under the radar it's not even funny. And that doesn't mean they're not worthy of being 3, 4 or 5 star players. Location and school dictate that much more at the basketball level than football. That's why you always hear these stories of kids bouncing around to 3 or 4 high schools. They're trying to get noticed at a program that competes at a higher level than the one they came from. You're starting to see this in football more too (see Cain McWilliams) but it's just so prevalent in basketball.

That said, Simmons is definitely highly thought of by his current school.

From his player bio at Tallahassee:

"One of the top returning players in the country...plays with a tremendous amount of passion and energy."

Check out my write up on the front page as well. Simmons was a Mr. Basketball finalist his senior year of high school. Freshman of the Year for the Panhandle Conference last year as well.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I think the kid looks like a great recruit. Right now our program is ahead of WKU so the only measurement is wins and losses.

In order to get the higher ranked recruits we have to do more, I am sure its not just performance on the court but facilities, etc...while beating MSU was amazing we did get beat soundly in the next round.

Uhhhh....he received freshman of the year in a juco conference. That speaks volumes to me. He is definitely athletic but can he shoot the tre? Kermits model of evaluation has been working so I am on board and have no reason to complain.

I trust Kermit's recruiting. He doesn't worry about stars or hype, he just recruits to his system and it has seemed to work fine the last 6 years or so.

IIRC, there may have been 2 other schools to offer Giddy; if that.

I readily admitted that I could be off base with negative view and crossing a line of complaining. I went on to describe logically that Kermit could very well be recruiting to his system which the last 5-6 years has proven to be successful.

I'm really not throwing Kermit under the bus on this. It would be nice to see a top national recruit or two AND the media exposure that would follow would be nice. Just saying it would be nice to see the recent success parlayed into a recruit or two that really brings out the "wow" factor. With that said, I think Kermit has proven the last 5-6 years that he can find quality players to fit his system to achieve really good success. I also think it is a given that in sports, especially basketball and football, that great players can and do fly under the radar i.e. Kevin Byard 2-star recruit & Giddy Potts hardly noticed at all.

I mentioned about need for some forwards. Again, not freaking out or throwing Kermit under the bus as there is still plenty of time, but I was thinking a forward would have been in the first few recruits showing up. Perhaps some are on the way. Replacing Upshaw will be a tall order. Then again, maybe Kermit has a high level of confidence in the current young forwards on the roster.

Coming off perhaps the biggest success in MT basketball history, haven't most had at least some expectation or hope of that tremendous success at least bringing some level of impact in continuing to help and give a nice boost to the program?

I think those recruits who have gone the juco route or transfer in from another 4 year school sometimes have more toughness than the coddled, entitled 4 star athletes who come in from high school with less preparation and never having had to do anything but get by on talent. If anyone has any doubt all you have to do is rewatch the game against Michigan State. As I have watched that game, again and again, there was not any player on last year's squad I would have traded for one of the Spartan's floor slapping guards or lumbering big men. Darnell Harris, Perrin Buford, Jaquan Raymond all demonstrated the toughness and played to and beyond the level of the competition. Reggie and Giddy were the guys out of high school who are legit all conference stars. We had two other guards, who came to us out of high school, who we lost to injury, simpson and Ivory. Kermit has a good mix of juco, transfer, and high school talent and depth. And it seems to be a reloading situation than a rebuild now. Back in his first four or five season, it seemed every year there was a season ending injury to a key player and there was not enough depth and talent to overcome it. Now there is. It's taken longer than anyone would have liked to get to that point, but it seems like we're in a good place, and MT fans are too leery to enjoy where we are.

Reactions: RandallThomason
Space, good point about coddled "stars" vs JUCO types. Slightly off topic, but speaking of JUCOs..... Have you seen the recent documentary Last Chance U? Well, it was an eye-opening borderline horror story to me. It focused on East Miss CC. It does focus on football.

I would agree that Kermit has built to the level of reloading each year. I fully expect Kermit will have the team strongly competing this season at the top of the conference for conf titles just like he has done for the last 5-6 years. I am really hoping that this historic success at the end of last season can be taken advantage of to take the program even higher on a consistent basis. I see it as an incredibly wonderful opportunity. It's an opportunity that does not come around that often. I'm not sure how long that window stays open. If I had to venture a guess, I would say a year maybe two. The basketball team sure took advantage of a huge opportunity at the end of this past season. I hope they can continue that path. At this point, I'm not just talking about continued good success, I'm hoping for MT taking even another step. I'm talking about and hoping for MT to start cracking the Top 25, at-large bids for MT & C-USA, more nationally televised games, and maybe even advance to the Sweet Sixteen sooner rather than later. I actually believe Kermit at MT is capable of this. It's not that I look at MT basketball and see all that is wrong with it, I look at MT basketball and see how great it can be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT