ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL More changes to college sports

Brew_Raider

True Blue
Oct 31, 2015
I can’t summarize this as well as Dellenger.

If people thought college sports changed with NIL and the transfer portal, wait for all this:

Also, check out the Rudy Project. It's an effort to eliminate P4 schools from playing anyone but P4 in exchange for more money/higher revenues to P4, subsidized with private equity that would basically turn FBS into an NFL-type division restricted to 70 schools. It's backed by former Disney executives that now run a financial firm.

Reactions: mtfblue
While I don't see the Rudy Project happening itself, it has opened a can of worms. I've read Dillenger's article on it and Sankey is right. They have the power (as in B1G/SEC). They won't give anything to the ACC/B12/G5 if they don't have to. They can essentially do the premise behind the Rudy of one large TV deal themselves. Eliminate the middle man and keep the equity themselves instead of giving some to the networks.

The P2 are meeting in Nashville themselves. Stuff like this with a scheduling agreement is exactly what they are working out. The B1G already is 9 conference games and the SEC is leaning that way. That is less $ games for us right there. Not to mention them leaning toward tiered distribution themselves.

I still stick with my feelings that they will split off within a decade tops. The B1G deal with FOX/CBS/NBC ends after '29-'30 season. SEC with ESPN ends after '33-'34. CFP deal with ESPN ends after '31-'32.
Who wants to bet they all will be amended in a couple years and conveniently end the same time?

Let them go. We're not going to catch up. There's no universe where a CUSA team can compete with Texas or Ohio State and their 250 million dollar budgets. There used to be when there were limitations on player movement and players getting paid (at least not under the table), but there's not now.

So let them go. The quicker this happens, the quicker the leftovers can come up with a traditional college football model for everyone else.

Reactions: mtfblue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT